Difference between Netgear XR500 and Netgear X6S

Aside from the DumaOS and hardware differences what are the benefits of using the DumaOS besides customization. I just purchased an Netgear X6S and am thinking of returning it for the Netgear XR500

I have an XBoxOne X and tablets phone printer that all use wi-fi what benefit would it serve to get the Netgear RX500 over the Netgear X6S?

Aside from the DumaOS and hardware differences what are the benefits of using the DumaOS besides customization. I just purchased an Netgear X6S and am thinking of returning it for the Netgear XR500

I have an XBoxOne X and tablets phone printer that all use wi-fi what benefit would it serve to get the Netgear RX500 over the Netgear X6S?

The main reason is the dumaOS which is cutting edge software and is not available on any other routers. That was my reason for me buying it as I already have the Netduma R1.

Netgears stock firmware is enough to put me off, so much so I have to install different firmware on it.

The main reason is the dumaOS which is cutting edge software and is not available on any other routers. That was my reason for me buying it as I already have the Netduma R1.

Just trying to decide on keeping the Netgear X6S or return it for the Netgear XR500..So what benefits are you getting from the DumaOS on the Netgear XR500? Is it worth bringing the Netgear X6S back for the XR500? Is it easy to maintain the settings on the DumasOS or will you constantly be "tweaking" the OS to get the best results?

Also how does the Netgear XR500 compare to other "gaming" routers from Asus?

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I'll quote what I have said before:

DumaOS is way more streamlined, easier to use, more robust and faster. Its easier to use while still having advanced options for those that like to tinker. QoS can be exclusively automatic if you would like it to be, automatically prioritising your consoles/games (using enterprise level deep packet inspection) and then applying Anti-Bufferbloat (Anti-Flood on R1) whenever this happens or giving full speed when not playing. The Dashboard provides a one stop customisable shop for your favourite features all sharing one screen where you can change settings on the fly without going to all the different features. More indepth Network Monitor, I could go on. Of course you have the Geo-Filter allowing you to get the closest possible connections keep your game ping low. This feature is not present on any other router. 

Also DumaOS is an actual OS so that means we can build new features & fix bugs - VERY fast. We have only just started, there is so much we plan on adding to DumaOS that it's actually crazy.

Just trying to decide on keeping the Netgear X6S or return it for the Netgear XR500..So what benefits are you getting from the DumaOS on the Netgear XR500? Is it worth bringing the Netgear X6S back for the XR500? Is it easy to maintain the settings on the DumasOS or will you constantly be "tweaking" the OS to get the best results?

Also how does the Netgear XR500 compare to other "gaming" routers from Asus?

I have set my router up and have not touched it since it arrived. The dumaOS is the only gaming software that allows you to geo filter games, allowing you to play on servers or with hosts you want, bad servers or hosts you can block them and not play with them in the future. The QOS is easy to control and can be adjusted quicker than any other router software.   Here are a couple of screenshots of mine!

QERikCfm.pngm5R2H5hm.png

nQ0MGSCm.pngWRetMdtm.jpg

Nice...one other question does the QOS and Geo Filter etc only effect LAN based connections? How does it effect wi-fi? Is there any noticeable speed "hits" or slowdowns using QOS? I have heard that QOS can effect your download speed when turned on and it is better to leave it off?

• Administrators

Nice...one other question does the QOS and Geo Filter etc only effect LAN based connections? How does it effect wi-fi? Is there any noticeable speed "hits" or slowdowns using QOS? I have heard that QOS can effect your download speed when turned on and it is better to leave it off?

It works on all devices connected to the router whether that be wired or wireless. You will see some speed reduction when using QoS but devices will barely notice it, e.g. downloads may take 15secs longer or videos might buffer for an extra second or two. If you're really concerned by it you can have it only turn on automatically when you're gaming.

Thanks for clearing that up for me but I am still not thoroughly convinced that the Netgear XR500 is a better router. The Netgear X6S has QOS and tri-band WiFi and a 1.8 GHZ dual core processor and 3 offload processors aside from the NetDuma overlay/interface I just dont see any benefit to the NetDuma OS on what is basically a R7800 router. Please correct me if I missed something.

• Administrators

Yes it has QoS but you will not experience anywhere near the same level of stability and unwavering low ping when saturating the network like you will on the XR500. I'm not hating on the X6S, that statement is true for any router. DumaOS is not an overlay, it is an entirely built from scratch custom OS. That means new features can be added very easily, there is a long roadmap of features that we have already thought of that will expand the use of your router. You pay once and getting an ever evolving product. Hardware is important but software is just as if not more important as the software controls the routing and everything that the router does.

DumaOS is an operating system built from the ground up with gaming in mind. No other router software has done this.

Thanks..just trying to justify bringing the Netgear X6S back since I have a few days left to return and get the XR500 both were the same price so torn between the two routers since they are both good Netgear routers. 

• Administrators

Thanks..just trying to justify bringing the Netgear X6S back since I have a few days left to return and get the XR500 both were the same price so torn between the two routers since they are both good Netgear routers. 

If you are torn and what I have said so far has not convinced you then I would highly recommend checking out reviews online. We've received rave reviews across the board and I believe we're currently the highest rated router on Amazon!

Yes it has QoS but you will not experience anywhere near the same level of stability and unwavering low ping when saturating the network like you will on the XR500. I'm not hating on the X6S, that statement is true for any router. DumaOS is not an overlay, it is an entirely built from scratch custom OS. That means new features can be added very easily, there is a long roadmap of features that we have already thought of that will expand the use of your router. You pay once and getting an ever evolving product. Hardware is important but software is just as if not more important as the software controls the routing and everything that the router does.

DumaOS is an operating system built from the ground up with gaming in mind. No other router software has done this.

So with that being said what is the roadmap for features for the XR500? How soon and frequent will we see updates/enhancements additional features for this router? That being said Netgear has been notorious for releasing a product then ending support for it as soon as a newer model comes out..will that be the same case for the DumaOS on this router that once Netgear decides to come out with another gaming router or a new version of the XR500 that there will no longer be any updates to the DumaOS? Thanks!

• Administrators

So with that being said what is the roadmap for features for the XR500? How soon and frequent will we see updates/enhancements additional features for this router? That being said Netgear has been notorious for releasing a product then ending support for it as soon as a newer model comes out..will that be the same case for the DumaOS on this router that once Netgear decides to come out with another gaming router or a new version of the XR500 that there will no longer be any updates to the DumaOS? Thanks!

We can't detail the roadmap right now but we have already mentioned the R1 VPN solution will be coming to DumaOS. We have no plans to end support for DumaOS, we haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg yet! 

Good to know! Would hate for me or anyone to spend $300.00 on a XR500 an no future of enhancements/new features for the DumaOS. So, for example how soon will features that are included in the R1 be implemented in the XR500? Like I know the feature for example of anit-jitter/anti-spike will be implemented on the R1  will they (if at all)  be implemented on the XR500 also? I can understand from a marketing perspective that the R1 is YOUR baby and that you are just developing the DumaOS for Netgear since you are a partner of Netgear but history has show from other products who are software/hardware developers that they tend to favor their own product (R1) and maybe incorporate additional features in their partner's product since they normally have no obligation outside of the original contract to produce the software for that partner or is this something that is dictated by Netgear exclusively if they want to incorporate other features of the R1 into their XR500? Thanks!

• Administrators

Good to know! Would hate for me or anyone to spend $300.00 on a XR500 an no future of enhancements/new features for the DumaOS. So, for example how soon will features that are included in the R1 be implemented in the XR500? Like I know the feature for example of anit-jitter/anti-spike will be implemented on the R1  will they (if at all)  be implemented on the XR500 also? I can understand from a marketing perspective that the R1 is YOUR baby and that you are just developing the DumaOS for Netgear since you are a partner of Netgear but history has show from other products who are software/hardware developers that they tend to favor their own product (R1) and maybe incorporate additional features in their partner's product since they normally have no obligation outside of the original contract to produce the software for that partner or is this something that is dictated by Netgear exclusively if they want to incorporate other features of the R1 into their XR500? Thanks!

At least 2 features that are presently available on the R1 (one big, one smaller) should be available in the next firmware. It is not our intention to have one completely dominate the other. It's too early to tell what features will be on either!