XR500 OS requests

loving my new XR500 and starting to find my way around the menus better.

I had been used to a DD-WRT custom OS on my Netgear R7000.

There are a few things i miss though that I would love to see on the XR500 OS if possible;

1. Arrange by IP - Would be great to have this button on every page that has a list of IP addresses.

The port Forwarding page currently only has it. It would be great to be able to sort any lists.

arrange_by_ip.jpg

2. WOL facility - Another great utility on dd-wrt was the WOL screen.

Here i could wake devices on my home network. Would be great to see this on the XR500.

WOL.png

3. Access Restrictions - This was great on my R7000 running dd-wrt. There where 10 x policy settings in which you could limit each client list of devices by IP/MAC etc, with scheduling by day / time. The XR500 has a limited version of this already (i.e. Content Filtering) but would be great to have that little bit more flexibility and control.

access_restrictions.jpg

List_of_Clients.jpg

ps. I havent been able to get my home pc to "wake on lan" over the internet with this new router Xr500 for some reason. Even though i have it setup with the same port forwards as i had when using dd-wrt on my old R7000 Netgear....?

i also use an iphone app iShutdown (http://ishutdownapp.com/) which i used to wake , sleep hibernate, restart my home pc with. It too no longer works with the new XR500.

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum! These are some fantastic suggestions - we're always looking for ways to improve DumaOS, so we'll definitely take these into consideration.

I'm not personally sure about your Wake on LAN / shutdown app issues, though our lead technical support officer Fraser will be online soon. I'll let him know about this thread and see if he has any suggestions for you :)

• Administrators

Great ideas, I'll make a note of them for the future!

In regards to WOL, set up static IP addresses and turn off UPnP, there may be some port conflicts. I haven't used WOL either but will do our best to resolve the issue!

Great ideas, I'll make a note of them for the future!

In regards to WOL, set up static IP addresses and turn off UPnP, there may be some port conflicts. I haven't used WOL either but will do our best to resolve the issue!

thanks

Sadly, turning off UPnP made no difference (other than disabling me from remote accessing one of my home IP-Cams...? Although I might just need to enter settings for dyndns into it)

still no WOL working though...

any other suggestions welcome. thanks again.

• Administrators

Make sure for the devices that you're trying to wake that they have rules (if necessary) to allow inbound on the ports used for WOL. If that doesn't work or is not applicable, I would first disable QoS completely from Anti-Bufferbloat's menu. From there if it continues then I think it would be best to call Netgear Support. If you go here and login it should give you a number to call: https://www.netgear.com/support/

Make sure for the devices that you're trying to wake that they have rules (if necessary) to allow inbound on the ports used for WOL. If that doesn't work or is not applicable, I would first disable QoS completely from Anti-Bufferbloat's menu. From there if it continues then I think it would be best to call Netgear Support. If you go here and login it should give you a number to call: https://www.netgear.com/support/

thanks

do u mean portforward rules for iShutdown app port and the WOL port 9 ? if so, i have port forwards setup already to forward to the intended Pc to wake/control.

I will disable QoS here now and re-test remotely.

Does the router need a reboot if turning QoS to OFF "never"  ?

thanks

• Administrators

I mean say if you're trying to wake a Windows PC that it's Windows firewall is setup to allow inbound on port 9 for example.

Disable QoS from the Anti-Bufferbloat's 3 line menu, that will disable deep packet inspection also.

No rebooting necessary.

I mean say if you're trying to wake a Windows PC that it's Windows firewall is setup to allow inbound on port 9 for example.

Disable QoS from the Anti-Bufferbloat's 3 line menu, that will disable deep packet inspection also.

No rebooting necessary.

hi

surely its irrelevant when the pc is in sleep mode , what state the firewall is in....?

the NIC is just sitting with its power on waiting for a wake packet from the router, but the Pc is still asleep..... as would be the firewall ..? or am i missing something....

cheers

ps. tried disabling QoS, issue remains...

• Administrators

hi

surely its irrelevant when the pc is in sleep mode , what state the firewall is in....?

the NIC is just sitting with its power on waiting for a wake packet from the router, but the Pc is still asleep..... as would be the firewall ..? or am i missing something....

cheers

ps. tried disabling QoS, issue remains...

I'm just thinking of different potential factors that could affect it, I haven't tried this personally so I would highly recommend calling Netgear Support as they should be able to resolve the issue very quickly or let you know if it is not supported.

I'm just thinking of different potential factors that could affect it, I haven't tried this personally so I would highly recommend calling Netgear Support as they should be able to resolve the issue very quickly or let you know if it is not supported.

thanks Fraser

i opened a ticket with Netgear Support. If this is not possible with this expensive router, sadly it will be going back to supplier, as my old R7000 Netgear was able to do all this and much more, without any trouble.....

even more reason for a WOL app to be developed on the Xr500.... at least we could log into the router, and manually perform a (Local) WOL on a LAN device (as per images above in my earlier post, compliments of DD-WRT firmware)

• Administrators

Great do let us know what they say. 

I would say that the XR500 has exclusive features not present on any other router as well as all the standard Netgear settings. 

We're able to develop very quickly as it's an actual operating system, I will make a log of your request should it turn out that it is not supported.

Great do let us know what they say. 

I would say that the XR500 has exclusive features not present on any other router as well as all the standard Netgear settings. 

We're able to develop very quickly as it's an actual operating system, I will make a log of your request should it turn out that it is not supported.

Thanks again Fraser

hopefully the WOL feature will be somewhere up near the top of your "to-do" list ... lol! cheers

ok re WOL

Netgear's website support is pathetic....!  takes them days to respond! And when they do, its just rubbish advice....This forum is the place for REAL  answers......

So.... I think I found the problem why my computer is not waking after a couple of minutes over the internet.

It seems as though the router loses its ARP entry for a specific computer after that computer has been turned off. (even if you set a static IP address for the computer). I was sending the magic packets to the static IP address, but as the ARP entries were lost the system did not wake. If I broadcast the magic packet on the local network the computer wakes perfectly ? I also ran a packet-sniffer, and while the computer is powered on, it receives the magic packets just fine. Just not when powered off....? (yes , when powered off the NIC lights are on, so its def ready to receive packets)

Problem is however that I want to wake my computer from the internet, however the router seems to be blocking port-forwarding to the broadcast IP (192.168.2.255) so that does not work.

I have in the NIC's power management tab the "Enegry Efficient Ethernet" turned on (tried off) and also the wake on Pattern Match (on).

How do i get the router to accept the broadcast address ?

on my old R7000 (running DD-WRT firmware) - I was able to enter a startup command such as this which worked....

arp -i br0 -s 192.168.2.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

Can a XR500 firmware fix be made with this entry ? 

ps..cant wait to see a WOL feature on this router ....

• Administrators

Good work trouble shooting, on the power management tab do you have the option of 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' ticked? If so disable that. 

Also double check you're on the latest ethernet driver, or rollback to a previous version. It could also be that you need to run the official NIC driver e.g. Intel rather than the driver Windows uses by default. 

Good work trouble shooting, on the power management tab do you have the option of 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' ticked? If so disable that. 

Also double check you're on the latest ethernet driver, or rollback to a previous version. It could also be that you need to run the official NIC driver e.g. Intel rather than the driver Windows uses by default. 

yep have all that done already, sorry i should have posted in more detail of what i had and hadnt done.

its been quite a while since i setup my old R7000 and just realised when i looked at teh start-up commands , that I had that entry to enable the broadcast address.

This is what made my R7000 work perfectly with WOL.

can this be implemented any way into the XR500 ?

arp -i br0 -s 192.168.2.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

• Administrators

I tried to port forward to the broadcast address as well but it will not allow me to so looks like Netgear development blocked that, there is likely a very good reason for this. I can bring this up to Netgear and see if there is anything we can do, if that's all it takes to allow it to work then that's ideal for everyone. 

I tried to port forward to the broadcast address as well but it will not allow me to so looks like Netgear development blocked that, there is likely a very good reason for this. I can bring this up to Netgear and see if there is anything we can do, if that's all it takes to allow it to work then that's ideal for everyone. 

no probs, im looking forward to future firmware updates that hopefully include my suggestions. many thanks Fraser for your fast responses (unlike Netgears...)

...most likely blocked due to Security, Smurfing.

i still want the option though to enable it....lol!!

A smurf attack is an exploitation of the Internet Protocol broadcast addressing to create a denial of service. The attacker uses a program called Smurf to cause the attacked part of a network to become inoperable. The exploit of smurfing, as it has come to be known, takes advantage of certain known characteristics of the Internet Protocol (IP) and the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP). The ICMP is used by network nodes and their administrators to exchange information about the state of the network. ICMP can be used to ping other nodes to see if they are operational. An operational node returns an echo message in response to a ping message.

in relation to my issue with WOL (i.e not available) on this router, I had logged a call with Netgear.

...and after 8 days i finally got speaking to them about it....

Basically they said it was not currently available to do this on the router and that i should go onto the Community Ideas section, and add it there. They said if there was enough "demand" they would certainly look at it for a future update.

that said.... if anyone wants to see a WOL function available, please register your Idea here on the Netgear site ;- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

• Administrators

in relation to my issue with WOL (i.e not available) on this router, I had logged a call with Netgear.

...and after 8 days i finally got speaking to them about it....

Basically they said it was not currently available to do this on the router and that i should go onto the Community Ideas section, and add it there. They said if there was enough "demand" they would certainly look at it for a future update.

that said.... if anyone wants to see a WOL function available, please register your Idea here on the Netgear site ;- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Just to let you know I also brought it up to the Netgear development team on Friday specifically regarding port forwarding the broadcast address as you mentioned this fixed it previously.