Facebook video loading on mobile devices

Strange thing I have noticed ever since installing the XR500, no matter how I adjust the settings on the router, on my mobile devices only ex. iPhone’s, the newsfeed videos buffer a ton. My old router did not have this issue. This is only an issue on the phones as on the desktop it loads perfect and also using YouTube on the phones or any other app really it’s also fine.

Any ideas? Yes I have restarted the phone, and also reset the network settings on the phone.

• Administrators

Hi Tucker - that is very strange. Is this happening on just one phone?

Let's see if we can isolate where the problem is i.e. whether it's the phone or the router. Can you play a newsfeed video on your phone when using 3G/4G i.e. not on WiFi?

If you don't have 3G or 4G where you are, do you have WiFi on your modem? If yes, connect your phone to that and try Facebook.

• Administrators

Yes as soon as I switch to 4G it works flawlessly.

Ok, thank you for testing. Could you try this please:

1. Go to QoS on the router UI

2. On Anti-Bufferbloat, click the three horizontal line icon in the top left corner of the panel. Then check the box next to Disable all QoS (not recommended). Click Proceed when the warning message appears

3. Wait for this change to apply and then try Facebook again (when connected to the router) - let me know if this works

4. When finished, you should uncheck the Disable all QoS box, which will re-enable QoS. It will take about 30 seconds to re-enable to be patient!

Let me know if this fixes the issue. If not, could you confirm the following:

5. You have not accidentally added the mobile phone to your Geo-Filter

• Administrators

Could you try and add OpenDNS servers to the DNS section

And see if that helps.

This is a good idea. Please try this. Thanks Zennon!

• Administrators

Thanks for trying. We will keep helping you on here, but at this point I recommend you also contact NETGEAR's 24/7 live support here:

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

The fact you have turned off QoS means that it's not DumaOS causing the problem, so they will have more experience helping you with configuring the NETGEAR settings to fix this problem.

While you are doing that, do you have another phone you can test it on to see if it just the phone that is affected or every phone?

Do you also still have your old router? Would be good if you could connect that back in and then connect your phone to it to try Facebook again. This will isolate the issue to the router, or show it's a wider Internet problem e.g. your ISP is currently throttling this content.

Thanks

Is the WiFi channel you are using with the XR500 different to your old router? It may be interference from other WiFi networks.

If it is different please change it to the old channel and re test.

• Administrators

After trying everything known to man basically lol, I disabled ipv6 and problem is now gone completely.

Thanks for letting us know the solution. IPv6 isn't fully supported by DumaOS at the moment so best to keep it disabled. We're looking into giving support for it.