XR500 VS R1 BUFFERBLOAT.

hi guys

Got my new XR500 yesterday and love the product! 

My question is on the bufferbloat side especially on the upload side. i have done multiple tests on DSL Reports (uk) i can control my download buffer but my uplaod buffer is really bad my idle is 12ms to 15ms download i can get 15-20ms and upload is 20-140ms ive tried the sliders at every possible percentage but i i can not control my bufferbloat on the upload. i tried pingplotter and nothing is wrong with my network. i have the R1 and i can control everything. idle is the same download is 12-15 and upload is 12-15 aswell? i have tried the "always on" and turned it off but nothing is working? 

can you assist me in this matter? 

kind regards john 

• Netduma Staff

hi guys

Got my new XR500 yesterday and love the product! 

My question is on the bufferbloat side especially on the upload side. i have done multiple tests on DSL Reports (uk) i can control my download buffer but my uplaod buffer is really bad my idle is 12ms to 15ms download i can get 15-20ms and upload is 20-140ms ive tried the sliders at every possible percentage but i i can not control my bufferbloat on the upload. i tried pingplotter and nothing is wrong with my network. i have the R1 and i can control everything. idle is the same download is 12-15 and upload is 12-15 aswell? i have tried the "always on" and turned it off but nothing is working? 

can you assist me in this matter? 

kind regards john 

Hi John, great to hear you're enjoying your XR500!

Let's try to get to the bottom of this. First of all, we'll need to know the following:

- Are you using PPPoE on your XR500?

- What are your expected speeds?

- What mode are you using on Anti-Bufferbloat? (Always, When High Priority Traffic Detected or Never?)

Please let us know and we'll take it from there. Thanks.

hi jack. 

PPPoE is on as i'm With BT fibre speed are 76 down and 20 up and i have tried all of them and if i turn off anti bufferbloat off my upload sky rockets to around 200ms+

setup is PC/ PS4 Pro / XB1X/ phone/ cabled into the XR500 then that into the BT hub 

• Netduma Staff

hi jack. 

PPPoE is on as i'm With BT fibre speed are 76 down and 20 up and i have tried all of them and if i turn off anti bufferbloat off my upload sky rockets to around 200ms+

setup is PC/ PS4 Pro / XB1X/ phone/ cabled into the XR500 then that into the BT hub 

Okay - is it possible to get your BT hub to handle PPPoE instead of the XR500? It could be that PPPoE is interfering with this test.

As a side note, I would recommend double checking that you have typed your correct speeds in the Anti-Bufferbloat submenu. If this is not correctly configured it could cause issues similar to what you are experiencing. Please let us know if this helps :)

hi jack 

i let the XR500 do the speed test and i rounded up the figures as it was like 75.8 down and 19.7 up or should i just leave them? also i have put the xr500 in to the bt hubs DMZ. 

as for the PPPoE last night i did the same tests but i replaced the hub with the Netgear D7000 and still got the same issues?   

hi jack 

what i mean is if i replace the XR500 for my R1 i can get the bufferbloat spot on as previous mentioned in my old post...http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23692-streaming-from-pc-to-youtube-and-gaming-on-ps4-at-the-same-time/?do=findComment&comment=171353

but now i can not get the same results on the XR500 

• Netduma Staff

Alright, I think at this stage some screenshots would help us get to the bottom of this. If you could screenshot your DSLreports test, your QoS settings and anything else you think could be relevant that would be fantastic.

This could be related to the deep packet inspection on the XR500. The XR500 uses enterprise level deep packet inspection, a much more powerful solution to the Netduma R1. It can however cause false readings with bufferbloat tests since it scans the first few packets of the test.

If you're finding it hard to upload screenshots here, I'd recommend uploading them to a site like Imgur and copying the links to them here. We'll take it from there :)

• Netduma Staff

If you could just upload XR500 screenshots as well as any tests you have conducted that would be great. In around half an hour Fraser will be back online, so I will see if he has some suggestions you could try out beforehand :)

• Administrators

Hi John, I'd like to do a 1 on 1 session with you to find out the cause. Are you available now? All you need to do is download & install TeamViewer. Then open the application and PM me with the ID & password it gives you. Then I can connect and take a look.

hi fraser i can do a 1 to 1 around 5pm if thats ok? 

You ever considered getting rid of the bt Hub and buying a draytek vigor 130 modem, really good modem for BT, thats what I use. I`m not a great lover of BT equipment though so maybe biased.

You ever considered getting rid of the bt Hub and buying a draytek vigor 130 modem, really good modem for BT, thats what I use. I`m not a great lover of BT equipment though so maybe biased.

i have a netgear d7000 but still having same problems regardless of which one i use.

• Administrators

How did you get on mate?? Any chance you manage to resolve the issue??

Getting A's for bufferbloat, occassional B's as Anti-Bufferbloat was too low. Only thing preventing A+ is the fact that deep packet inspection analyses the first few packets of the test. That doesn't mean that Anti-Bufferbloat isn't working because it is. Has a great connection!

• 4 months later...

I bought the xr500 and was very excited to plug in and get it going but it didnt work as I expected. My bufferbloat was bad my ping was fluctuating quite high when testing using ping plotter. I try moving the sliders around and it just wouldn't stop the ping spikes or bufferbloat . I have an arris modem 6183 maybe the two just dont get along very well I dont know. My bufferbloat is so much better when plugging my PC directly to the modem I actually get a A A A+ for the bufferbloat so I know it's not my line quality or my isp. I'm gonna keep on messing with the settings tonight if I cant fix it it's going back to the store. I bought the xr500 to see if dumaos was better than the R1 as far as the bufferbloat and ping spikes they are both about the same for me actually the r1 gave me better results . I also purchase the edgerouter x and that thing is amazing when you turn on sqm it's the only router that has kept my bufferbloat and ping spikes to a minimum. I wreally as hoping the xr500 with the dual core 1.7ghz cpu was as good or better than the edgerouter x but it's wasnt. I think maybe the xr500 hasn't been optimized yet, after all its netduma first time dealing with 2 core cpu and 5ghz wireless band and other specs the r1 never had for now most likely xr500 it's going back to the store.