Give us the option to perma ban servers in Duma OS

The reason we didn't implement that in the R1 is because it could ruin your game experience, we did the compromise of temp ban so we'll at least bring that back. If the demand is there we can look into permanent bans.

Fraser I certainly 2nd this motion!!! Even with the geofilter turned on i still manage to engage with the netherlands servers. And as previously stated they do not play well at all. I always have to log into my netduma just to ensure i temp ban it before I start playing. And if I leave the lobby after a while I have to repeat this process once again. Do us all a favour and please implement Perma Ban in the next update of the firmware.

Regards,

• Administrators

Fraser I certainly 2nd this motion!!! Even with the geofilter turned on i still manage to engage with the netherlands servers. And as previously stated they do not play well at all. I always have to log into my netduma just to ensure i temp ban it before I start playing. And if I leave the lobby after a while I have to repeat this process once again. Do us all a favour and please implement Perma Ban in the next update of the firmware.

Regards,

Even with strict on & PA 0 you get them?

• Administrators

Even with strict I got/get connected to the Netherlands. I mean an option where you perm ban/temp ban/unban server doesn't hurt anybody because you have to check it actively.

OK, thanks for the feedback. We have passed it onto the development team.

I believe the issue here is availability of lobbies.  If you are playing a gametype in CoD that isn't as populated, it may not be able initially to find a full lobby on the dedicated server that is closest to you.  So it looks to dedicated servers that are further away but still within your Geo-Filter.  I have this issue in Atlanta, GA (U.S.A) which a very heavily populated area and there is a dedicated server close by.  But it will sometimes connect me to dedicated servers that are 500 miles away in Illinois or Indiana where the connection is terrible and my ping will be ~100 m/s.  My guess is it does this because it couldn't find a lobby initially, so it looked at other dedicated servers.

It would be ideal to keep the Geo-Filter expanded to contain the peer players in those areas so that matchmaking isn't too difficult, but also be able to keep myself from connecting to those dedicated servers that are far away.

• Administrators

I believe the issue here is availability of lobbies.  If you are playing a gametype in CoD that isn't as populated, it may not be able initially to find a full lobby on the dedicated server that is closest to you.  So it looks to dedicated servers that are further away but still within your Geo-Filter.  I have this issue in Atlanta, GA (U.S.A) which a very heavily populated area and there is a dedicated server close by.  But it will sometimes connect me to dedicated servers that are 500 miles away in Illinois or Indiana where the connection is terrible and my ping will be ~100 m/s.  My guess is it does this because it couldn't find a lobby initially, so it looked at other dedicated servers.

It would be ideal to keep the Geo-Filter expanded to contain the peer players in those areas so that matchmaking isn't too difficult, but also be able to keep myself from connecting to those dedicated servers that are far away.

That's a good point! We've raised the feature request so up to the devs now.

Yes permanent ban please. So we can ban the crap servers but also expand the radius of location. So others far will join a server near me giving us a better advantage in ping. Say 1000 miles radius but banning all the bad servers far away. But allowing people to join match from far away to a server near me. Myself with a 1 Ms base ping then people far far away with 30 plus base ping connecting to a server near me. I could be wrong. But wouldn't that give me a advantage?

• Netduma Staff

Yes permanent ban please. So we can ban the crap servers but also expand the radius of location. So others far will join a server near me giving us a better advantage in ping. Say 1000 miles radius but banning all the bad servers far away. But allowing people to join match from far away to a server near me. Myself with a 1 Ms base ping then people far far away with 30 plus base ping connecting to a server near me. I could be wrong. But wouldn't that give me a advantage?

Thanks for your feedback, it sounds like this is a feature lots of people would like. Just to clarify, you won't have an 'advantage' over other players by doing this, it's your ping to the game which is important.

Yes it's our individual ping what's important. Say my base ping is 1ms ping. I play on Texas server. That server is 12ms ping. So say my ping is 13 Ms ping for the Texas server in the United States. Ok so we have that clarified for my pings to that server.

So are you saying I won't have a advantage against other players whom live let's say New York on the East coast whom have a 35ms base ping whom joined the Texas server that's a 12ms ping server? 35 plus 12 is 47 total ping versus my 13ms total ping?

It seems in theory based on my understanding that I'd have a advantage. Maybe I'm wrong. But me being closer with a very low ping going against players far abroad with much higher pings I'd have a advantage as my information would be updated faster. Unless lag compensation went into effect and evens it out. I'm not sure. But if it doesn't give a advantage I don't care about it then.

• Administrators

I think Jack misunderstood and thought you were talking about connecting further away would give you an advantage. Of course getting the closest possible server & therefore the lowest ping means the better gaming experience you have. Others with a higher ping will not have as good an experience as you.

Yeah that's the whole point of permanent ban servers. To ban all the far servers from myself with high pings. But able to expand the geofilter let's say the whole United States. To allow people all over the United States to join in my match only on the specific server I want. To make sure I have the advantage while others may suffer. At this point how it is only the people within my radius can connect. It's good how it is. I'm just curious if a permanent ban for example all California or east coast permanent bans would give me a advantage. I believe it will. I never want to play on those period. But the ability of those players connecting to my server of choice like Texas. They'd have high pings and mine would be low ping. Temp bans never seemed to do justice on the R1 router.

Yes - I would also like this feature.

There are some very bad Dedicated Servers in the Netherlands, specifically Amsterdam. As my subs know, I refer to these as the Swiss Cheese servers. Why because some of their servers within the data center are really bad; i.e. base ping of 15ms and spike up to 80ms, and make the game (COD WWII) unplayable. BUT key XBox Live servers also reside in Amsterdam, hence geofiltering it out is not always an option.

I second this. I have an avg 14-15ms ping to the dedi server in Miami. Problem is the majority of people in my lobbies are pinging offshore in the Caribbean with almost 40ms^ response times! I dread those lobbies because I notice rubberbanding and TTL numbers skyrocket.

So I move my geo-filter upto GA widen my radius to 500 mi, apply strict mode, and everything plays fine...

It's that god-forsaken Miami server!

• Netduma Staff

Thank you all for your feedback. If we do choose to announce a new feature like this one we'll likely let everyone know on Twitter and our other social media channels, including this forum. We look forward to developing some awesome features for you guys!

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but is there any update on this?  Is there any sort of creative work around that can be done to block certain servers (other than shrinking the Geo-filter)?  CoD WW2 is borderline unplayable unless I'm playing on the dedicated server that is close to me in Atlanta.  Maybe Activision just has shitty dedicated servers, as I don't know why my connection/ping is so poor to a dedicated server in Indiana that's 600 miles away.  Meanwhile, I'll have a fantastic ping to a peer player I play with who's 900 miles away.

• Administrators

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but is there any update on this?  Is there any sort of creative work around that can be done to block certain servers (other than shrinking the Geo-filter)?  CoD WW2 is borderline unplayable unless I'm playing on the dedicated server that is close to me in Atlanta.  Maybe Activision just has shitty dedicated servers, as I don't know why my connection/ping is so poor to a dedicated server in Indiana that's 600 miles away.  Meanwhile, I'll have a fantastic ping to a peer player I play with who's 900 miles away.

Move your home location, strict mode on and then restrict your radius. You can then block any servers you don't want and force any ones you do want. Recommend you setup the Geo-Filter then hard turn off the console then boot up and find a game

Move your home location, strict mode on and then restrict your radius. You can then block any servers you don't want and force any ones you do want. Recommend you setup the Geo-Filter then hard turn off the console then boot up and find a game

Thanks, but that's exactly what I've already done.  Just south of Atlanta is basically the sweet spot.  I used this website, http://tjpeiffer.com/crowflies.html, which is pretty cool, to measure the distance as the crow flies to the dedicated servers I don't want to connect to.  Just south of Atlanta is equidistant to the two servers I don't want to connect to, which is roughly 570 miles from a server in Miami, FL and 570 miles from a server that's in northwest Indiana.  So I moved my home location to that spot and set my Geo-Filter to just under 570 miles.  That ensures I connect to the Atlanta server only.  However, the problem with this is that a 570 mile radius is not exactly ideal when trying to find a game lobby.  It can take a while, especially depending on what time I'm playing.  If it's a non-peak time, I'm often forced to expand the Geo-Filter.

• Administrators

That makes sense, the more restrictive your settings the longer it will take to get a game.  I'd suggest going a bit more East or West to exclude those servers and see if any other servers play better for you

That makes sense, the more restrictive your settings the longer it will take to get a game.  I'd suggest going a bit more East or West to exclude those servers and see if any other servers play better for you

Yeah, I've tried that also.  Going East or West, even slightly, brings new dedicated servers into play but they are also really terrible.  Makes me think that Activision's servers are just really crappy.