Help with Xr500

• Administrators

Hi Jack,

It could be that your Internet provider is under serving you at the moment, which is especially common on a Sunday. But it could also be a router setting, so please do these steps to make sure they’re all ok:

• First set your bandwidth to your expected speeds in Anti-Bufferbloat advanced options
  • Then set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Never'. 
  • Reset distribution on Bandwidth Allocation for both download & upload. Also make sure share excess for both download & upload on Bandwidth Allocation are checked (also in advanced options)
  • Then remove/disable any rules for Traffic Prioritization.

Then for an accurate test make sure to do a wired speed test from a PC from speedtest.net (console tests are often inaccurate). If you don't get your full speeds after that then disable QoS completely within Anti-Bufferbloat's settings and try again. 

If after this your speeds are not full then it is almost certainly your Internet Provider.

• Administrators

Great. I now recommend you setup QoS to activate when you are gaming, which will prevent congestion from causing you to lag. If you choose 'High Priority Traffic Detected' mode it will only activate when you are gaming, meaning your speeds are not reduced when you are not.

The simplest way of learning about this, is to click the '?' symbol at the top next to the QoS title. This will take you on a tour of the page, explaining how each feature works.

Let us know if you need help with anything else.

• Administrators

We highly recommend you keep share excess ticked. This means that when your device does not need the bandwidth allocated to it, it will automatically give it to any device that does need it, so there really is no good reason to not keep it ticked.

• Administrators

Also my other problem is that I have to keep my WiFi on on my Verizon modem/ router because if I don’t my wife can’t use her app to see her tv show she recorded on the dvr or any ondamand shows

Does it have to be connected to the modem, or can you just connect your smart TV to the XR500? There should be a network setting on your TV to do this. I recommend you do this because then she cannot cause you to lag when she watches an on demand show because of the XR500 QoS.

• Administrators

Well is the set top box from Verizon it needs the IP address and WiFi from Verizon

Ok, if it has to be connected to the Verizon box then so be it! Usually set top boxes are not that strict but maybe Verizon are different.

• Administrators

Anti-Bufferbloat prevents lag from occurring when other devices on your network use all of your bandwidth. We recommend you set this to 70% for both download and upload, and set the mode to ‘High Priority Traffic Detected’. 

How are you measuring a good connection? And what game are you playing? If you are on a console game like CoD, make sure you have added your console to the Geo-Filter, as this will guarantee a local server I.e. the best connection possible. 

• Administrators

Ok, we’ll please use this as it will automatically apply Anti-Bufferbloat when you play. Also make sure ‘DumaOS Classified games’ is checked in Traffic Prioritization. 

What games are you playing? This video explains why it’s important and how to set it up from 44:40 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQiwtXoNqsA

• Administrators

I noticed today from videos of the night hawk XR500 on YouTube that everyone else’s led lights are all white on the right side of the right where Ethernet 1,2 ,3 ,and 4 are the led lights are orange. How are they orange

If they're orange it means those ports are not getting internet or there is no data flowing through them at that time. Can also occur if you've just rebooted/factory reset will it's still booting up. 

• Administrators

Well one of the ports I have my laptop and third port is my security cameras those are the one with the orange lights and the first port is my PS4 and the light on that one is white

As long as you're getting internet through the ethernet ports then it's nothing to worry about :)

• Administrators

Hi Jack - Netgear are aware of this so it's our understanding that they will be working on a fix. It's just a cosmetic error, so does not affect the performance or features.

• Administrators

Ok thanks . So keep my PS4 to port 1. Will the Geo filter still work . With this error. And should I return the router or is this something they could fix from the software.

Or should I just leave everything how I had everything connected.

As Admin mentioned it's purely a cosmetic issue so your ethernet ports will work normally. The Geo-Filter will work and you can leave everything connected how it is.