New Netduma received yesterday and having issues with 300Mbps internet

I currently have 300Mbps internet with comcast. I'm using an Arris SB6190 modem and the Netduma router. When turning on Congestion Control and setting my bandwidth (300Mbps down/30Mbps up) it asks if I want to auto configure the settings for this speed. I click Yes and it does it for me. When the Congestion Control bars are both at 100% (download and upload) I do a speed test and it caps me out at 200Mbps. I have everything disabled in Miscellaneous except for letting Netduma save configuration changes and Turbo mode is on. I also Reset the distribution and Updated the distribution for all devices on my network (currently only my desktop PC hard wired via an ethernet 7 cable). I also have Share excess enabled on both the Download and Upload. From reading the FAQ having Turbo mode on should allow speeds of up to 300Mbps. If I turn on Super Turbo Mode I get my max speed, however it then does not allow Congestion Control to function. When purchasing this device I did read to make sure my 300Mbps would be supported with Congestion Control feature for my max connection from the link here: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000028079-what-do-the-miscellaneous-settings-do-Not really sure what to do at this point :( Please help. Thank you.

PS: I have ipv6 completely disabled in Miscellaneous, WAN, and LAN. I also have it set to Reactive not pre-emptive.

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for detailing what's going on so clearly. It's worth saying that we recommend Super Turbo Mode for speeds over 300mbps. We realise that it looks like the worse option since all your Congestion Control features will be gone! This is a misconception however, so I'll elaborate a bit on the reason Super Turbo Mode disabled Congestion Control.

Each feature in Congestion Control is designed to deal with issues that occur when you've capped your bandwidth or you're downloading on loads of devices while gaming. Anti-Flood deals with Bufferbloat and its effects on gaming, which is almost impossible to encounter with such high speeds. Device Prioritisation lets you control how much bandwidth greedy devices can take - but if there's all the bandwidth in the world then they can be as greedy as they like! And Hyper Traffic makes sure your gaming packets leave the R1 first just in case there's a 'queue' caused by heavy downloading - but again, those speeds will make that issue go away.

So with all of this in mind, I would recommend enabling Super Turbo Mode. It means there's a little less fun to be had on the R1 interface, but if you want your max speeds and the best performance then it's the best choice for you. I'm just happy that you can reach your max speeds without issue - it just needs Super Turbo Mode to get there.

I hope this makes sense! Please let us know if you have any questions or reservations about this.

I think I understand what you are saying, however the misconception from the FAQ is it states with Turbo Mode on (Not Super Turbo Mode) you should be able to get 300Mbps (which is my max) with the sliders on 100%. You'd only need to enable Super Turbo Mode if you exceeded 300Mbps (which I do not). The sole purpose I bought the device is so I could use the Congestion Control feature to eliminate bufferbloat (comcast is notorious for this). From your statement above really the Turbo Mode doesn't allow what it states and you're only able to get your max connection with Super Turbo Mode on (which gets rid of the eliminating bufferbloat feature that I need from Congestion Control). The best performance would technically be Turbo Mode + Congestion Control which as you state is not possible with my connection speed. I was told by Netduma support to post on the forums to see if my issue could be resolved. As it seems this is not resolving the issue and I feel the FAQ does indeed misrepresent information I am able to get an extra 14 days on the return of the device. What do I need to do in order to get that extension? I appreciate the explanation and help on this matter.

• Netduma Staff
Post in the 1 on 1 section: http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/with dates and times you would be available for us to support you. Please note that we need around a days notice.