WiFi and Bufferbloat

I have a 50 down 10 up connection and over wifi I can only get 22mpbs down. I have tried everything I can think of, it only happens on the xr500 not the R1 or r7000 I have.

Also, I cannot get the bufferbloat to give me all A+ across the board. I can with the R1 and the r7000.

Any ideas?

I should add that I also have an Ubiquiti Edge Router that gets me the A+ bufferbloat rating.

• Administrators

What is your web protocol? For example dhcp, pppoe, etc 

Firstly the xr500 can handle gigabit speeds with ease. So it is almost certainly a QoS setting. Please make sure that anti-bufferbloat is set to 100% and that you have share excess enabled for both upload and download. Do you get your full speeds then? Also for high throughput WiFi please use 5g channel.

For the bufferbloat issue, make sure the radio box in anti-bufferbloat select always and your % is around 70% when doing the test.

Please let us know how you get on with these suggestions or if you need any more info 

Thanks for the response.

I am connected via pppoe.

The wifi issue is present with QoS on, sliders at 70%, sliders at 100% and QoS disabled. It is present on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the bufferbloat issue is present with the sliders at 70% or any other combination I have tried.

• Administrators

Thanks for the response.

I am connected via pppoe.

The wifi issue is present with QoS on, sliders at 70%, sliders at 100% and QoS disabled. It is present on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the bufferbloat issue is present with the sliders at 70% or any other combination I have tried.

The WiFi issue is very strange. Does it happen when you’re on 5g and right next to the unit? Maybe change the channel? To be honest Netgear support will be better than us for WiFi issues. They have 24/7 phone support. 

For the bufferbloat issue can you try using your original modem to do the pppoe and put the xr500 behind it. Then try the usual 70% settings.

• Administrators

Bufferbloat you don't get A+ because the enterprise level deep packet inspection analyses the first few packets and therefore DSLReports gives a false reading. Are you using IPv6? As that would be the only reason I can think of that QoS settings would not affect your speeds. 

Regarding your speeds the XR500 can easily attain those speeds through WiFi. Are you getting full speeds through a wired connection on the XR500?

• Administrators

IPv6 is disabled. I get full speeds wired. It's like the wireless is being chopped in half in any configuration.

Understand when I say im disappointed, I am saying that in comparison to the R1 and I appreciate your help.

Totally understand, we'll get it sorted. Can you go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Advanced Wireless and enable HT160 and then try it again please. Do speedtest.net not DSLReports.

• Administrators

I've got the AP hooked up currently and my wife is watching a movie. I will give that a shot tomorrow and report back. Thank you.

Great! If that doesn't work I'll be happy to do a 1 on 1 with you and take a look at what's happening.

So today I started from scratch and connected my modem up as a router and threw the xr500 into the dmz. The wireless worked at full speed and the QoS functioned as normal. So that's great.

Unfortunately I bought this router in order to use the pppoe option as I figured the power of the hardware was enough to run pppoe and the QoS without a hiccup. I have had mediocre routers that could accomplish this. Perhaps it's a firmware issue that's handicapping the ability?