Geo-Filter issue

Well I only have mine in spectating mode, however I have noticed today, while I have been in party chat with up to 5-6 people at times. Only 1-2 people in the party show up on the map. I know for a fact PS4's party chat uses P2P, so anyone in the party with me should be showing up on the geo filter map.

Since I installed, configured the router, and did the firmware update. I haven't rebooted the router. So I might do that tonight... I also thought about factory resetting the router, and reconfiguring my settings. As that's something I normally do after any firmware update, but didn't do it this time, as I was just trying to get the router online, and my network up, and running.

I think this will be because you will only see the host of the party chat on the Geo-Filter not everyone in the party chat. Are you able to hear everyone perfectly?

Yes I can Fraser. I haven't used the R1 in a long time.... But I remember when I did everyone in a party chat would show up on the map. Not to say things could have changed within the handling of PS4's party chat since then. I just know it use to P2P connect everyone in the chat, not just you, and the host of the party. I will try hosting a party chat later today, and see if everyone who joins shows up on the map.

• Administrators

Yes I can Fraser. I haven't used the R1 in a long time.... But I remember when I did everyone in a party chat would show up on the map. Not to say things could have changed within the handling of PS4's party chat since then. I just know it use to P2P connect everyone in the chat, not just you, and the host of the party. I will try hosting a party chat later today, and see if everyone who joins shows up on the map.

Yeah it's quite possible. I did a 1 on 1 with someone the other day on DumaOS and they couldn't connect to party chat unless the host was allowed so it definitely looks like the host is the only one you connect to. Do let me know.

Fraser earlier this evening. I started up a party chat, and had 4-5 people in the party. However once again the map only showed like one person on it. Something seems a bit odd with this, and i don't understand why more people aren't showing up on the map. Any suggestion, or reason you think this is happening? This is kind of making the allow/deny feature pointless right now.

• Administrators

Fraser earlier this evening. I started up a party chat, and had 4-5 people in the party. However once again the map only showed like one person on it. Something seems a bit odd with this, and i don't understand why more people aren't showing up on the map. Any suggestion, or reason you think this is happening? This is kind of making the allow/deny feature pointless right now.

Hi Lilstone - this sounds like the same situation as before right? Or has something changed?

This is kind of making the allow/deny feature pointless right now.

You can still hear all the other members though, so do you even need to whitelist them for party chat?

If you were to share an actual game lobby with them then their icons should appear - this is when you would need allow/deny.

Well I have been keeping mine on spectating mode. However people should still be showing up in my party i feel. I have even had buddies join me in game on fortnite, and still not show up properly.

So I'm wondering what browser you guys recommend using? Chrome? Also I will try one other thing I can think of, but honestly don't think it is the cause, but small chance.

• Administrators

Well I have been keeping mine on spectating mode. However people should still be showing up in my party i feel. I have even had buddies join me in game on fortnite, and still not show up properly.

So I'm wondering what browser you guys recommend using? Chrome? Also I will try one other thing I can think of, but honestly don't think it is the cause, but small chance.

Chrome is the best browser for DumaOS, so try that and see if you find a difference. However, it doesn't sound like it's an issue with DumaOS, just the way the party chat is networked.

Let us know if we have misunderstood.

Well one more question. I remember when I use to use the R1. When I first booted up my PS4, it would show a couple things pop up on the map. As the PS4 connected to some of sony's services, and such. Should that still be happening? Because if so... That isn't happening when my PS4 starts up. I do know I have the proper selected to, as when I play Fortnite, and just a BR game, it will pop up a server I connect to.

• Administrators

Well one more question. I remember when I use to use the R1. When I first booted up my PS4, it would show a couple things pop up on the map. As the PS4 connected to some of sony's services, and such. Should that still be happening? Because if so... That isn't happening when my PS4 starts up. I do know I have the proper selected to, as when I play Fortnite, and just a BR game, it will pop up a server I connect to.

That sounds like you might have been on 'Admin Mode' on the R1. DumaOS will mostly just show actual game (dedicated) servers as it's easier to understand. There are still some central servers that get shown, depending on the game, but we plan to remove these in a future firmware as they're not relevant to your connection so can be confusing.

I chatted with one of the guys about this, and we will be looking to see what's going on in a couple days. I wouldn't push the matter if I didn't feel there's a problem. But this working correctly is key in using a feature like the Allow/Deny with the Geo-Filter. Currently I can't get my friend's to show up, to mark them in allow, when I decide to turn Geo-Filter on, and not just in spectating mode, which I'm currently using.

• Administrators

I chatted with one of the guys about this, and we will be looking to see what's going on in a couple days. I wouldn't push the matter if I didn't feel there's a problem. But this working correctly is key in using a feature like the Allow/Deny with the Geo-Filter. Currently I can't get my friend's to show up, to mark them in allow, when I decide to turn Geo-Filter on, and not just in spectating mode, which I'm currently using.

Even when they join your game lobby? Or just in party chat?

If just in party chat, let us know what happens with filtering mode is enabled after you have whitelisted the friends you can see. In theory, it should be fine.

Even when they join your game lobby? Or just in party chat?

Yesterday I had up to 5-6 people in my party chat, only maybe 1 or 2 of them showed up. Then I had a 4 man squad on Fortnite on PS4, me plus 3 others. Still didn't show them three on my map. I mentioned this to Iain, and he said he thinks he might know a reason for it. Gonna talk with him more about it at the beginning of next week.

Trust me I just want it to work properly, and I hate to bother you guys with this. But currently I feel things aren't working as intended. I could likely hook up the R1, and get people to at least show up on the map. I also told Fraser yesterday the one, or two friends I could get on the map, weren't even showing up where they're located. One guy is from west coast canada, showed up on my map east coast US. At least his ping told the truth as I averaged about 85ms to him. Which is normal for me, going from east coast to the west coast.

This is another reason I think adding peer ping(?) to the XR500 is very critical. Because even if you guys can run cloud updates more often, to keep geo location data updated. I still think certain IP addresses will not be updated as they should by the ISP's, and such. So then you will still see people/servers popping up in the wrong locations. However being able to filter people/servers by ping is great, and much better when trying to filter out far away connections. As we all know the farther the distance, the higher a person's, or server's ping will be.

Hey Fraser,

I know it's late for you guys, and possibly you're off here for tonight. So if you don't see it till the morning. Let Iain know I still ran into a issue tonight, joined a party with 4 people in it only 1 guy showed up on the map. I was in the party between 8:08PM ET - 8:10pm ET, and 8:13pm ET - 8:32pm ET. 

I wanted to post these two time stamps just in case it can help out, and data can be pulled. I made sure the map was zoomed out as well. No one besides one guy showed up on the map. Also can confirm they were all actively talking as well, so data was for sure being passed. Also between this, I joined another party which had two guys in it. Both showed up. With all this said I'm 99.9% sure everyone connects to each other via P2P in party chat on PS4. PS4 doesn't use any kind of dedi's for party chat's, would be too expensive for Sony to host enough servers for something like that.

Also I know party chat on PS4 uses a port range of like 9304-9309 for party chat. Not to say that port range can't be a little higher/lower. I just know it's in that 93xx range for sure.

Hey lilstone, thanks for the info. Iain has already made a hot fix so should be available soon!

Yeah he made a temp tweak I think on my end. Which was showing people on my map more accurately, however I did join a party tonight, and even with whatever he tweaked on my end. Things aren't 100% showing everyone as it should. So reason I wanted to post this... Just in case another small tweak may be needed in a fix, being pushed out in the near future.

Will pass it on to Dev team, hopefully the fix they've done will work as yours was temporary.

Yes indeed Fraser. I'm happy we were able to work this problem, and get a fix in the works. I honestly hope you, and the guy's aren't already tired of me. I know I have been mentioning things often this past week. I'm just trying to make sure things are working good, and if there's an issue, work with you guys on getting it fixed. So in the end everyone is happy, and things are working as best as possible.

• Administrators

my geo filter is not showing people in my party chat either and i am the host of the chat. i have my ps4 in filter mode also. 

I'll send you the hotfix Whitaker and that should resolve the issue. Please check your PM in about 5 minutes for the link.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am having this issue of not seeing my friends in the Geo filter as well as getting the Nat type error for party chats. I've connected then tried to connect again and it seems to go in and out. Also on the Geo filtering screen it doesn't appear that I can click on anyone. Some help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Administrators

Hello,

I am having this issue of not seeing my friends in the Geo filter as well as getting the Nat type error for party chats. I've connected then tried to connect again and it seems to go in and out. Also on the Geo filtering screen it doesn't appear that I can click on anyone. Some help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi Fury,

Please could you do the following:

1. Upgrade to the latest firmware: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24378-new-xr500-dumaos-upgrade-available-v22110/
  2. Disable Auto-Ping on the Geo-filter (click on the Geo-Filter advanced options icon in the top left corner of the Geo-Filter Map (looks like three horizontal lines) and then uncheck Auto-Ping. This will now allow you to click on any icon on the Map
  3. Turn off your console and set your Geo-Filter range to the maximum distance
  4. Boot up your console and invite your friends into your lobby. You should see them on your Geo-Filter map. Click each friend and in the Ping panel below, give them a name and click 'Allow'
  5. Now set your Geo-Filter distance back to the distance you like

This should get everything sorted for you. Let us know if we can help with anything else :)