Why is my Anti-Bufferbloat not working?

• Administrators

The most likely cause for your Anti-Bufferbloat settings not being applied is that it is not set to Apply 'Always'. Set it to 'Always', lower the sliders to the level you want and then your settings will always be applied and work the way you expect it to. 

If you are still having issues let us know and we can troubleshoot with you further.

Hi guys,

I have not been active on the forum since last year, as I returned my Netduma router. Changed my ISP and tried the Duma router, but it was causing even more latency. I still have problems with FIFA. However, I have just found out about this Nighthawk model and I was wondering if has been already released, as I found it on Amazon, but it is due to release in March? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

• Administrators

Hi guys,

I have not been active on the forum since last year, as I returned my Netduma router. Changed my ISP and tried the Duma router, but it was causing even more latency. I still have problems with FIFA. However, I have just found out about this Nighthawk model and I was wondering if has been already released, as I found it on Amazon, but it is due to release in March? Any guidance will be much appreciated.

It's currently available in the US and I believe according to Amazon UK it will be released on March 1st or there abouts.

Can someone please help me? I have the XR500 and whenever I manually add my PS4 to the traffic prioritization it say under service “Xbox “ that is clearly wrong since I have PS4. How do I change it to psn?

Hi,

I don't have the XR500, so forgive me if I am way off base. But does it not have a "drop down" menu like the Duma so that you an select which ever service you need.

I go into the device menu and add the PS4 and the under service on the host filtering page select PlayStation Network. :)

NB. There is a XR500 set up video by Sim in the forums XR500 related videos. Hope this helps :)

Hi,

I don't have the XR500, so forgive me if I am way off base. But does it not have a "drop down" menu like the Duma so that you an select which ever service you need.

I go into the device menu and add the PS4 and the under service on the host filtering page select PlayStation Network. :)

NB. There is a XR500 set up video by Sim in the forums XR500 related videos. Hope this helps :)

No there is no drop down list to select PlayStation network and I know sim made a video. I watched the whole thing. It says nothing about it. This router is not as diverse as the netduma r1

It’s just a minor bug. Iain explains about it in another thread.

When you select console and see you xbox that is a minor bug because xbox and playstation classification work the same under the hood.

• Administrators

Can someone please help me? I have the XR500 and whenever I manually add my PS4 to the traffic prioritization it say under service “Xbox “ that is clearly wrong since I have PS4. How do I change it to psn?

That is just a typo, it covers both consoles. DumaOS Classified Games covers the consoles so you do not need to add your consoles manually as they will be automatically prioritized.

• 4 weeks later...

I have encountered the anti-bufferbloat issues also. No matter where I place the sliders I get red spikes in bufferbloat tests. The only way around this is to place my wrt3200acm running LEDE in front on my network solely to use it's QOS which resolves the issue but it is not what I want. Apart from this the XR500 is the bobbins!!!

There are some users who are having the exact same issue on PPPoE but I am on talktalk who use auto authentication but this issue is a definate concern.

• Administrators

I have encountered the anti-bufferbloat issues also. No matter where I place the sliders I get red spikes in bufferbloat tests. The only way around this is to place my wrt3200acm running LEDE in front on my network solely to use it's QOS which resolves the issue but it is not what I want. Apart from this the XR500 is the bobbins!!!

There are some users who are having the exact same issue on PPPoE but I am on talktalk who use auto authentication but this issue is a definate concern.

Hi Big Dog, are you using IPv6? 

Traffic Prioritization, analyses the first few packets of the test which can give it a false reading but that doesn't mean that Anti-Bufferbloat isn't working. If you do a PingPlotter when saturating your connection - QoS off then another with it on does it work as expected with 'Always' set & 70% Anti-Bufferbloat?

what ive done is put my old R1 back in and adjusted the sliders on that and did the dsl reports. to get my best possible values. and then i have carried them values over the my XR500 with at this moment is set at 80% down and 65 % up and i dont use dsl reports on the XR500 as Fraser did a 1 to 1 and told me that i wasnt getting the right values due to the first 2 packets which was giving me a false test. and the games run sweet on this setting/ i have BT fibre2 76 down and 20 up. maybe give this a try?  

Hi Big Dog, are you using IPv6? 

Traffic Prioritization, analyses the first few packets of the test which can give it a false reading but that doesn't mean that Anti-Bufferbloat isn't working. If you do a PingPlotter when saturating your connection - QoS off then another with it on does it work as expected with 'Always' set & 70% Anti-Bufferbloat?

This is what happened 13 minutes into my test with sliders at 70/70.

mvbuwbb.png

I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and run a full test over night. I have removed my LEDE router now to make sure the test is accurate! Thanks Fraser!

mvbuwbb.png

You were downloading for 15 mins or you just left PP running?

That increase looks like a routing change while the test was running not a download.

You have to run speed tests or saturate your line will running a PP to see the results of Anti BufferBloat.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I find settings that works, I get a game update. Lag comp is real with WWII, the only problem I'm having is finding a way to make the settings stick. 

• Administrators

Every time I find settings that works, I get a game update. Lag comp is real with WWII, the only problem I'm having is finding a way to make the settings stick. 

You just need to stick with settings. A game update won't be affecting your connection every time. It is more likely to be ISP congestion like in peak times.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have had the XR500 for well over a month now, and I have waited till now to mention it. As I wanted to test over a period of time, and see what result's I come up with.

I have noticed when using the dslreports speedtest, my result's are better without "Anti-Bufferbloat", then with it enabled. Which honestly is a bit backwards, and should be the opposite. I have run many of tests the past month, or so, and everytime my bufferbloat results are better when I leave my speeds uncapped. I plan to post the results of two recent tests in this post. One without it, and the other with my speed's capped to 25% of my overall total bandwidth. As you will see bufferbloat isn't exactly improving "bufferbloat" when enabled.

I actually recently been paying close attention to the test being run, and with Anti-bufferbloat enabled. During the upload side of the testing, the latency average increases, spikes a lot more often, and higher. Which when you think about it.. With me having my limit's set to 25%, I can only use a max of 7.5-7.75mbps of upload bandwidth. I actually get 30-32mbps by my provider. So overall, latency, and ping spikes should stay very low, and consistent. Currently that isn't the case, and I feel whatever the issue is, it's router side.

Because testing without it, latency, and spikes, are much less. This is while maxing out my upload at 30-32mbps, which would be the time for my latency to be at its highest, and spike the most. However that isn't the case. So at this point in time, I feel using "Anti-Bufferbloat" is a waste, and isn't doing exactly what it's designed to do.

Here's a test done without Anti-Bufferbloat:

31992941.png

Here's a test done with Anti-Bufferbloat, with my limits set at 25% of my total bandwidth:

31993024.png

As you see Anti-Bufferbloat isn't exactly making things better. Now I will show you the "Grades" graph the test gives you for each test.

Without Anti-Bufferbloat:

1523375396-U157.png

With Anti-Bufferbloat:

1523375442-U157.png

Overall this isn't what I would consider result's you should be seeing with a feature that's considered to help with this. These result's, show it isn't helping at all, only making it worst. Finally here's direct links to both of these test's, for the ones who are curious... I have nothing to hide, and so I will provide the links to show you all, nothing is being doctored on my end. I want to see what the netduma guys have to say about this, and why it's happening. Because currently.. This isn't helping, and I'm better off not using "Anti-Bufferbloat".

Without Anti-Bufferbloat test link:

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/31992941#share

With Anti-Bufferbloat test link:

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/31993024#share

• Administrators

If you do the same tests but with PingPlotter by following this guide and saturating your connection you should see a difference with Anti-Bufferbloat enabled: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection

Can you try that please and let us know.

It doesn't make any sense why it is performing like that, did you have Traffic Prioritization on at the time? Can you do a 1 on 1 during the day on Thursday before 2pm BST? 

Fraser,

I will get back to you as soon as I can. But until then, I plan to dig into this more from my end as well. This has me very curious as to why it's happening. dslreports speedtest bufferbloat part of the test depends on result's it collects while stressing your bandwidth. Oddly for the upload side, as you have seen... The result's are worst while Anti-BB is enabled. Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as I'm only using 25% of my upload with it enabled, vs 100% without it.

I'm very curious why its shows latency average higher, and with higher spiking. With Anti-BB enabled, is the router cpu strictly doing all the processing? I know often times certain features being enabled, disables other stuff, which normally keeps the cpu load down.