Netgears xr500 slow wifi

Hi I'm new to the forum so no bashing, okay I currently have Comcast gig internet with the cm1000 and wanted someone input on optimal settings for a noob. Also we have the router is on the first floor and we are on the second floor and we are receiving a poor Wi-Fi.

King VX,

Not to bust your balls.... But you mention having slow wifi. Then you mention using Cat7 all around. Well using wifi has nothing to do with using wired cable. So you mentioning that is a bit confusing to say the less.

As for your slow wifi... What wifi band are you using? 2.4GHz band, or 5GHz band? If you're using the 2.4GHz band. Sadly that band overall isn't good when talking about connection speed. As a lot of stuff will interfere with it, including many things in your home. Also a lot of people around you run their wifi as well. So you have to pick, and choose very carefully what channel you use on the 2.4GHz band. Also I only recommend running things at 20MHz wide, if you have the option to pick between 20/40MHz. 99.9% of people using 2.4GHz band, if they have the channel width set at 40MHz wide, they will see more negative effects in terms of there connection over that band.

As for the 5GHz band, there's a lot less interference on using it. However there's a small number of things(device's) that can still interfere with that band. So you need to switch between the channel's a bit maybe to see if some are better, then others. Also when it comes to the 5GHz band, the signal range on it is much shorter then the 2.4GHz band. However on the 5GHz band you will connect at much higher rates, so overall connection speed will be faster on it, as long as you're not a long distance from the router itself. Finally not all devices support the 5GHz band, but any device that does support it, should use that band for a better overall connection. Most newer devices have support for the 5GHz band, mostly older devices are the one's you're limited to using the 2.4GHz band.

Anyways I hope this info can help you with your problem, but if not. I'm sure between the guys here, and the netgear team. They can work with you on seeing why you're having trouble over wifi. Just keep in mind wifi is a tricky thing to deal with. As there's a lot of stuff you have to consider, when things aren't running well. Including the place you live, and if it's a old place with thick wall's, and such. As that kind of stuff blocks signal, and causes poor result's as well.

• Administrators

I'm using a surface pro (wi fi)pretty much on top of the router and I'm only getting maybe 460 max on 5g

Are you using QoS on the router? If so then that would limit the speeds you're able to receive. If you disable QoS in the Anti-Bufferbloat settings by clicking on the 3 line symbol of the Anti-Bufferbloat panel and do another test do you get higher speeds? What speeds did you get before the XR500 on this device?

I'm using a surface pro (wi fi)pretty much on top of the router and I'm only getting maybe 460 max on 5g

What kind of speed are you expecting over wifi? I'm sorry but you will not get gig speed's over the 5GHz band. Also you're likely limited on the surface pro's wifi card. I'm not there, so I can't help you personally test. So in this case I suggest you google a bit about what to expect from a surface pro's wifi card in terms of possible connection speed. Also what kind of channel width are you running on the 5GHz band? Like I mention in my other post, there's many factors in this, and so you might want to play around with the wifi settings on the router. 

I do want to make it clear though... Don't expect crazy fast speed's(700+mbps) over wifi. If speed is that important to you, find a way to keep that device wired, if possible. Anyways I hope the best for you, I just wanted you to know, and be realistic in terms, of what kind of speed's you will get over wifi though.

Sorry for the confusing im using a cat 7 cable on the modem to the router, unfortunately I don't have a computer with a gig port to test yeah the Wi-Fi is pretty tricky i have it on auto for both 2.4 and 5g

I am using qos now but I'll try to shut it off when I get home and try another test and as for the speed I was getting before I have the nighthawk x6(Comcast 200down-10up) and I would max at 230 on Wi-Fi

Yeah for the Wi-Fi speed I'm running threw 5g but yeah I understand about the speed terms and what to expect maybe I'm just too far for it to be okay

• Administrators

Great let us know what speeds you get with QoS completely disabled. If you get the same then it is likely a case of fine tuning WiFi settings such as width, channel etc, the max speed of the surface pro or as lilstone mentioned the way your house is laid out.

Wasn't bad at all playing Xbox one Ethernet connected getting 221 down 43 up(qos on buffer at 99 for both

Yeah the 5g a bit laggy compared to the 2.4 on the second floor but it's an old house it's to be expected if I need to I'll buy an extender

• Administrators

Wasn't bad at all playing Xbox one Ethernet connected getting 221 down 43 up(qos on buffer at 99 for both

Yeah the 5g a bit laggy compared to the 2.4 on the second floor but it's an old house it's to be expected if I need to I'll buy an extender

If you have to game on WiFi I would always recommend 2.4 for that very reason. Have you checked your speeds?

• Administrators

Yes it's stays at 60 down and 34 up even when I'm in the same room

You said you had over 400 before? Is this test on the same device?

That's impossible that QoS disabled would make it slower. 

Please PM me with TeamViewer details and I can take a look.

• Administrators

Okay will do it's crazy apparently I lost internet while I was away today

It is probably best to contact Netgear support (but of course we're still happy to help) as WiFi is more to do with the hardware, they will be better equipped to deal with WiFi questions/optimisations. If you go here: https://www.netgear.com/support/and login with the account you created when you registered the XR500 you should be able to call them 

I think I figured it out it, it was between the anti buffer that needed to be on 99 and the bandwith needed to be adjusted to the appropriate level also( I don't know what would happen if I adjusted anti to 100

I maxed out upstairs 307 down 42 up and pretty much next to it also so I think I maxed my phone out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply I just received my computer back so it's running between 800 and 850 ethernet connected so I consider it great but when I'm playing games off the Xbox one I'm getting a better connection off of the Wi-Fi rather than the ports my Xbox is next to router so the signal is 100%

Idk what's up with my 5g connection too it seems slower versus the 2.4