Net drops out, any ideas?

So at random times during the day and at 01.33am exactly (AEST) my net drops off completely.

Nothing gets thru, so i decided to do a trace to see where the hops stop and they don't go past the R1.

Pre cut off i see 7-8 hops to 8.8.8.8, after cut off i see the R1 and that's all.

1  R1 Lan [192.168.88.1] Reports: destination net unreachable.

So its my provider or the R1 not trying?

If i just leave it sometimes it returns within 5secs other times alot longer.

• Administrators

It is unusual that the dropout would happen at exactly at that time.

My first thought is that your upstream router or your provider does some sort of update at that time (they usually do this in the middle of the night to prevent inconvenience to users).

If you do have a router make sure it’s not got any scheduled updates going on at that time.

One other possibility is tha you could have a DHCP lease set for 1 day which at that time. Did you set this up? If so, please extend it and see if it occurs at that time again. 

It is unusual that the dropout would happen at exactly at that time.

My first thought is that your upstream router or your provider does some sort of update at that time (they usually do this in the middle of the night to prevent inconvenience to users).

If you do have a router make sure it’s not got any scheduled updates going on at that time.

One other possibility is tha you could have a DHCP lease set for 1 day which at that time. Did you set this up? If so, please extend it and see if it occurs at that time again. 

Its Fiber to the Premise so i have a modem thing on the wall, that im aware nothing can be altered on it. With the Duma routing using PPPoE for connection with ISP.

Just noticed in the Duma LAN setting lease time of 12hrs, i changed it to 1 week and see what happens tonight, i have a suspicion this was the issue or as mentioned the ISP is up to no good, which could be the issue as-well as they like to jump their uses around abit behind the scenes to balance the congestion.

• Netduma Staff

I wasnt able to jump on last night but it did drop out again tonight with the duma dhcp lease set at 1week.

So its my RSP yeah?

This does sound like an ISP issue. You could always try other Internet drop-out solutions - check out this guide and try some of the steps there if you haven't already: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022405-why-does-the-netduma-wifi-keep-dropping-out-

Thanks Jack but thats wifi drop out. My drop out is my whoel connection.

Spoke to the RSP today and they can see the drop out but could not see why.

So a typical reset everything and see what happens tonight.

The guy i spoke to could see the similar times of the drops out.

It initially thought it was the routers leases and i suggested to him that's LAN side not WAN to which he agreed made more sense.

Its still dropping out.

The fibre has its own modem thing on the wall with 4 connections possible.

I use outlet 1 and it drops, another outlet is used by a different provider and i use that 1 for VoIP and it doesn't drop out.

When i trace i see the Duma at 1ms and that's all. 

My next step the RSP suggested was to only have a pc connected to it. And set up a new network on that pc. It will drop out in 1.5hrs so ill try that i assume. No idea why, not like i have the knowledge to see why its dropping out.

Ill be using ping plotter now and i will see what happens when i take the ethernet cable from the R1 straight into the wall outlet, then ill see what happens when it drops out.

Question thou, is it normal for ping plotter too say the R1 has alot of packet loss.

Ok so i had the PC with ping plotter running on the troubled connection port and as expected it dropped at 2am.

I was on the PS4 on another port on the fibre modem and it didn't drop out.

• Administrators

Interesting, can you set the router time to your actual local time please and see if that fixes it - I doubt it will & if not then post in the 1 on 1 request section with dates/times you're available and I can take a look.

Thanks Fraser

Did the time thing as you suggested.

Spoke to a different person at my provider, he suggested its likely their wholesaler doing a "flush" or something to that effect. He admitted its overkill doing it daily but it could happen.

Anyways he was going to put through a work order to have someone look into it further.

So it seems nothing Duma related.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks Fraser

Did the time thing as you suggested.

Spoke to a different person at my provider, he suggested its likely their wholesaler doing a "flush" or something to that effect. He admitted its overkill doing it daily but it could happen.

Anyways he was going to put through a work order to have someone look into it further.

So it seems nothing Duma related.

Interesting, well if that's the case I'm glad you got to the bottom of it. If it turns out you can prove that the Netduma is the cause then the offer of a 1 on 1 is always there, though in our experience we've never seen an issue like this that turned out to be caused by the Netduma. Please let us know how you get on, I hope you find a permanent fix!