pppoe

riggs540

Not sure if this is what you are after but I connect on BT using pppOe and with all my devices bar my laptop idle the CPU usage is sitting at 8.6% with around 15 devices connected but nothing bar the laptop doing anything. 

Maybe i should put this in the support section . I read the other day about the software jitter on the r1 and i just wondered using pppoe just makes the r1 more jittery . When i said cpu i mean the dual core cpu on the r1 itself.

Really im trying to talk myself into buying the xr500 , its hard going as netgear shaft me when i bought the r7500 for £170 and a month later they  "end of life" router in 2015 .It was because the router hardware was buggy and they ended up making a r7500 v2.

I bought a netduma two months after and never looked back . 

Xr500 looks amazing with the duma os stuck on it and having one router does all .

The xr500 down to £225 , maybe at £200 i could twisted my arm

riggs

• Netduma Staff

Maybe i should put this in the support section . I read the other day about the software jitter on the r1 and i just wondered using pppoe just makes the r1 more jittery . When i said cpu i mean the dual core cpu on the r1 itself.

Really im trying to talk myself into buying the xr500 , its hard going as netgear shaft me when i bought the r7500 for £170 and a month later they  "end of life" router in 2015 .It was because the router hardware was buggy and they ended up making a r7500 v2.

I bought a netduma two months after and never looked back . 

Xr500 looks amazing with the duma os stuck on it and having one router does all .

The xr500 down to £225 , maybe at £200 i could twisted my arm

riggs

I've not personally heard of PPPoE causing software jitter, though I know that on the R1 your speeds will be capped at 100mbps due to the lack of CPU. Using Turbo Mode and PPPoE at the same time is extremely CPU intensive so you can't raise your speeds beyond that.

The XR500 does have far superior hardware, so we're very happy to be developing on something with enough power to fully utilise our software. If you do choose to grab an XR500, please let us know and we'll assist you in setting it up and getting the most out of it :)

Other than that, if you have any questions about your R1 feel free to ask!

I was using the BT Smart Hub with the R1 in DMZ (still had double NAT apparently) and now I've got a new modem in bridge mode I'm using PPPoE on the R1. Funny enough there's semingly less jitter on the line according to thinkbroadband BQM plots. First screenshot shows no PPPoE with two routers, and the second shows PPPoE through the modem.

post-9329-0-92766700-1517601757_thumb.jpg

post-9329-0-33440600-1517601762_thumb.jpg