Pingplotter result.

Hi all, new memeber here who’s planning on getting an r1 some time soon, been checking the forum for a while now , reading plus watching vids of the duma, seen alot of comments asking people to give pingplotter a try to sort out where problems are, ive done it and wanting to post here to see what people say as im sure the r1 will help me a bit. I am on vm so i know some of the problems come from the puma chip, but also thinking of moving back to bt in april,i will put an image of it if theres any interest. Thanks ia for any input.

• Netduma Staff

Hi all, new memeber here who’s planning on getting an r1 some time soon, been checking the forum for a while now , reading plus watching vids of the duma, seen alot of comments asking people to give pingplotter a try to sort out where problems are, ive done it and wanting to post here to see what people say as im sure the r1 will help me a bit. I am on vm so i know some of the problems come from the puma chip, but also thinking of moving back to bt in april,i will put an image of it if theres any interest. Thanks ia for any input.

Hi King, welcome to the forum! Pingplotter is our bread and butter here, we could give you advice if you want to share that screenshot with us.

If you're working on improving your gameplay / ping, let us know where you're located, which game you're playing and your ping to the server and we'll help you out :D

Yes mate. Hit the reply button, click full version below add reply, click choose file, hit files, find your screenshots folder, select the image, then hit the attach this file button and then add reply when you're done. Something like this :)

post-9329-0-45463100-1517415250_thumb.png

post-9329-0-16576800-1517415396_thumb.png

Found a way to do it by sending it to email and resizing it lol

Yikes, that looks about as expected with VM (the 100ms+ spikes) but your connection to the modem itself doesn't look great judging by the avg of 5ms. This should always be <1ms. Do you have another ethernet cable you can try, especially one that's shorter? If not just try running a plot to 192.168.0.1 and see what happens. I did this on VM myself and found a lot of spikes and packet loss on the first hop to my Superhub.

Yikes, that looks about as expected with VM (the 100ms+ spikes) but your connection to the modem itself doesn't look great judging by the avg of 5ms. This should always be <1ms. Do you have another ethernet cable you can try, especially one that's shorter? If not just try running a plot to 192.168.0.1 and see what happens. I did this on VM myself and found a lot of spikes and packet loss on the first hop to my Superhub.

:o Even mine didn't look that bad when on Virgin!

I did move the hub upstairs so i could be wired but its still a few meter ethernet im using. I will use a shorter one tomorrow into the laptop to see if theres changes. Thanks for the info.

Yeah the length itself isn't usually an issue as ethernet doesn't easily lose signal but of course the longer it is, the more cable there is to get damaged somewhere along the line lol. I keep my BT modem's VDSL cable short and then run a 15m cable from modem to my R1 though, with a shorter one from that to my PS4, and I still get <1ms on PingPlotter to the router, so it's more likely a cable damage problem. Check the plug fits snugly into the port and inspect the cable for any damage, but in case the latter isn't obvious it would be a good idea to try a brand new cable if you have one spare.

Meant to write in that, take it yours is more stable now that youve moved?

Yeah absolutely. I received a letter telling me bills were going up, just after I got a "free upgrade", and I'd been having this stability problem for months; the price hike meant I was entitled to leave so I kept it in mind, umming and erring for a while. After a Superhub swap didn't help I just said fuck it and moved to BT Infinity. My base ping is 50% lower, and unlike with VM, I don't get constant packet loss or spikes from 13 up to 30-50ms every two seconds without fail as I used to. PingPlotter plots are flat as a pancake lol

Ive seen quite a few on the forum saying the same thing about moving over to infinity, max speeds are’nt everything and for all the downloading i do anyway i would rather have a stable line. Though i realise its partly where u live and distance from a junction etc. Contract up in april so might be the choice for me.

Ive seen quite a few on the forum saying the same thing about moving over to infinity, max speeds are’nt everything and for all the downloading i do anyway i would rather have a stable line. Though i realise its partly where u live and distance from a junction etc. Contract up in april so might be the choice for me.

I was in the same boat. I think before I got my "free upgrade" it was more stable not still not great. I went from 50/3, getting more like 55 without ever dropping below 50, to 100/6 where I would constantly drop to 20 down and only saw 80 down ONCE. It hovered around the 50 mark most of the time lol

Now on 55/10 BT Infinity, and never get below 50 down 9 up. That's more than enough bandwidth for me, the extra upload is great for uploading videos and of course the stability is amazing. I live 45 miles from central London and get 7ms (sometimes towards 6ms) to London servers, whereas my base latency on VM was 13ms and it's no exaggeration to say the 30-50ms spikes happened every two seconds without fail. I was supposed to get a free boost to 80/20 on BT after last September but it never happened... -_-

update picture,done this morning with different/shorter cable.

Damn, more of the same :( in fact the first hop jitter looks worse! I saw that a lot on VM which I why I decided to start pinging the Superhub only on PingPlotter and that's when I noticed all the packet loss and 100ms+ spikes. Not sure why VM seems to have a lot of issues with first hop latency/stability unless it's a router problem or something to do with loose/overtightened coax cables... I know I could never work out if mine was optimally tight or not lol

Maybe run a PingPlotter test to 192.168.0.1 to work out if that's the sole cause of the problems, and show it to VM to see if they can take any action. Otherwise get yourself on fibre asap mate, save yourself from the cable depression :D

• Netduma Staff

Yip defo not too good, think i will just leave it as is and make the move come end of contract, no too long to go

This sounds like a good idea given those results. Virgin have been under fire for years in the UK but they claim it's just 'teething pains' caused by rapid growth in popularity. Maybe in a few years they'll beat BT for connection quality. Who knows? :)

Keep us posted and let us know what happens if you switch.