Terrible Bufferbloat issues with XR500

• 1 year later...

I'm also having similar issues I play COD bo4, when I have qos on! my bullets turns into marshmallow and when I turn it off it feels really good Which makes no sense at all, it felt liked it worked way better on the r1, I'm frustrated with all this issues, first I had the r1 early adopter and was pushed to upgrade just because the r500 gets dumaos before r1 and now it feels like I downgraded. I'm about to but the Asus RT-AC88U  and see if it's less headache to work with. Don't get me wrong I love all the ideas of dumaos but I really feel like the developer were more productive when they were starting the company compare to now.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, villejfv said:

I'm also having similar issues I play COD bo4, when I have qos on! my bullets turns into marshmallow and when I turn it off it feels really good Which makes no sense at all, it felt liked it worked way better on the r1, I'm frustrated with all this issues, first I had the r1 early adopter and was pushed to upgrade just because the r500 gets dumaos before r1 and now it feels like I downgraded. I'm about to but the Asus RT-AC88U  and see if it's less headache to work with. Don't get me wrong I love all the ideas of dumaos but I really feel like the developer were more productive when they were starting the company compare to now.

I would avoid the RT-AC88U it's known for its radios failing , woefully underpowered with a dual core 1.4Ghz CPU, and 128MB Flash NAND and 512MB ram. I would buy the AX version this late in the game or the RT-AC86U, the RT-AC88U router was first reviewed in December 2015. The RT-AC86U has better Wi-Fi and a better CPU too  https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33158-asus-rt-ac86u-dual-band-ac2900-wireless-router-reviewed?start=0

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-vs-ac3100-vs-ac86u-wifi-testing.43055/

If you do buy it use Merlins firmware. Seriously though with AX being ratified at the end of the year buying old AC kit is unwise, just turn off the stuff you don't need in the XR500 and use it like any other router. No matter what happens you cant beat the laws of physics. On the 1st August with the update for Fortnite X patch ISP's like BT in the UK saw a 40% spike in traffic just for the patch. How do you think that effected peoples lines while gaming? I'm not defending the XR500 all the way here, but some things are beyond the capability of any router, just saying.

Fortnite is massively popular and while playing it even with the voice chat enabled is relatively low bandwidth (should run on a 500 Kbps symmetric service if latency is stable and relatively low) the reason gamers want really fast broadband is the size of the digital download when you first download a game or the increasing frequency of large patches. Also there is of course bragging rights to having the fastest connection in a group of people, though the best players will of course value a stable low latency connection rather than just having the absolute fastest for downloads.

Fortnite Season X appeared on 1st August and the download was around 8GB in size for MS Windows and BT has released a graph of traffic indicating that they saw a 40% spike in traffic attributed to the patch. Fortnite along with a lot of other online games will not let you play until you have patched to the latest version.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8492-fortnite-season-x-patches-causing-spikes-in-data-use-for-broadband-services

• Administrators
On 8/4/2019 at 6:39 AM, villejfv said:

It's all about finding what works best for you, if QoS off works best then that's great - even though it doesn't make much sense. What QoS settings do you usually use?

Recommended 70 70, device priority Xbox, share excess on. Also played with the percentage a lot started with the 70/70 went up from there by 5s, like 75/75, 80/80 and so on.

No I haven't try that, definitely  trying that now, I just bought a new modem Netgear cm1200 cause I just found out about the puma6, just finished reading it and it definitely improved a lot also turn ipv6 on and for some reason improved some more, gonna check this now to see if everything is ok, thank you.

• 2 months later...