Getting random lag spikes, but not actual lag spikes. weirdest problem?

So I've been having trouble with crazy random lag spikes that actually don't  exist... let me explain

So I have the net duma router and I will be playing a game of call of duty on the ps4 or counter strike on the pc. 

When I ping from the netduma router host filtering every couple of seconds I will get like a random 180+ ping lag spike But My in-game games like call of duty and counter strike don't pick up the weird lag spike and I  also don't feel this random 180+ ping lag spike at all when I play games. My games run very smooth. So i'm honestly thinking this 180+ ping lag spike is fake or something I don't know.  

Now the reason why this is a problem for me is because I can't use the host filtering to it's full potential cause the router thinks I'm lag spiking like crazy.

Note: I will go into counter strike and look through two different pings inside the game and I never see this random 180+ ping lag spike that 

the router picks up.

any help?

• Netduma Staff

So I've been having trouble with crazy random lag spikes that actually don't  exist... let me explain

So I have the net duma router and I will be playing a game of call of duty on the ps4 or counter strike on the pc. 

When I ping from the netduma router host filtering every couple of seconds I will get like a random 180+ ping lag spike But My in-game games like call of duty and counter strike don't pick up the weird lag spike and I  also don't feel this random 180+ ping lag spike at all when I play games. My games run very smooth. So i'm honestly thinking this 180+ ping lag spike is fake or something I don't know.  

Now the reason why this is a problem for me is because I can't use the host filtering to it's full potential cause the router thinks I'm lag spiking like crazy.

Note: I will go into counter strike and look through two different pings inside the game and I never see this random 180+ ping lag spike that 

the router picks up.

any help?

The advice above is great, please get back to us about whether you get these spikes on Chrome on the default theme. It's often a graphical error caused by browser incompatibility / device incompatibility. If you're using the interface on a Mobile or on the console, you can also encounter these graphical errors since the UI is currently only built for PC / Laptops.

The advice above is great, please get back to us about whether you get these spikes on Chrome on the default theme. It's often a graphical error caused by browser incompatibility / device incompatibility. If you're using the interface on a Mobile or on the console, you can also encounter these graphical errors since the UI is currently only built for PC / Laptops.

Yea I tried all of this the problem still happens. The problem isn't the actual netduma router,  because when I ping through command prompt I also get the lag spikes.  I just find it extremely weird that my games aren't affected. which makes me believe these weird lag spikes don't exist.  Like I will go to smite on pc  I pull up the ping charts and my ping seems to be actually stable, it will go up and down like 5ms apart. 60-65 ping non stop and doesn't show these lag spikes that the netduma router picks up which i'm assuming is some how connected to command prompt which my command prompt pinging is also getting weird lag spikes.  But my command prompt and netduma don't lag spike at the same time, it seems to be completely random on both ends. This seems to be a bigger problem and I was wondering if you netduma people know a fix or possible troubleshooting. 

• Netduma Staff

Yea I tried all of this the problem still happens. The problem isn't the actual netduma router,  because when I ping through command prompt I also get the lag spikes.  I just find it extremely weird that my games aren't affected. which makes me believe these weird lag spikes don't exist.  Like I will go to smite on pc  I pull up the ping charts and my ping seems to be actually stable, it will go up and down like 5ms apart. 60-65 ping non stop and doesn't show these lag spikes that the netduma router picks up which i'm assuming is some how connected to command prompt which my command prompt pinging is also getting weird lag spikes.  But my command prompt and netduma don't lag spike at the same time, it seems to be completely random on both ends. This seems to be a bigger problem and I was wondering if you netduma people know a fix or possible troubleshooting. 

I would recommend running a PingPlotter test on a wired PC. Run the test for half an hour pinging a site like Twitter.com or a local news site. This should give you more accurate results.

The Netduma Internet Diagnostics test pings 8.8.8.8 (Google Server). The Google Server doesn't always play ball, sometimes providing inaccurate results.

It's still possible that the Ping Spikes the Netduma displays are just graphical errors. This can happen when the UI is used on a less compatible browser or device, like a phone / console or any browser other than Chrome or Firefox. I haven't personally given the command prompt tests enough time so I'm not sure about their accuracy.

Let us know how the PingPlotter test goes and keep us updated :)

I would recommend running a PingPlotter test on a wired PC. Run the test for half an hour pinging a site like Twitter.com or a local news site. This should give you more accurate results.

The Netduma Internet Diagnostics test pings 8.8.8.8 (Google Server). The Google Server doesn't always play ball, sometimes providing inaccurate results.

It's still possible that the Ping Spikes the Netduma displays are just graphical errors. This can happen when the UI is used on a less compatible browser or device, like a phone / console or any browser other than Chrome or Firefox. I haven't personally given the command prompt tests enough time so I'm not sure about their accuracy.

Let us know how the PingPlotter test goes and keep us updated :)

Here are my ping stats on pingplotter. https://imgur.com/a/91fCQ

I know it looks like a puma 6 modem situation, but I heard that puma 6 modems also are really rough on ping sensitive games and I play call of duty 

every day and I don't feel these 150+ ping lag spikes and my ping bars never drop, and I even looked at black ops 3 ping graph and it never goes above 33ms.

• Netduma Staff

Here are my ping stats on pingplotter. https://imgur.com/a/91fCQ

I know it looks like a puma 6 modem situation, but I heard that puma 6 modems also are really rough on ping sensitive games and I play call of duty 

every day and I don't feel these 150+ ping lag spikes and my ping bars never drop, and I even looked at black ops 3 ping graph and it never goes above 33ms.

If you never feel these spikes in the same then it's a miracle unless the readings are false. If you have a different device (preferably a Laptop or something wired) to run tests on I would try that - could be something up with your PC.

If you never feel these spikes in the same then it's a miracle unless the readings are false. If you have a different device (preferably a Laptop or something wired) to run tests on I would try that - could be something up with your PC.

I've tested this on my other computer and a  laptop, they all get these weird lag spikes that none of my games pick up.  There's other ping tests that i've done and they don't lag spike like how command prompt, netduma router, and pingplotter picks up.  I can make a video for you of me being in a team fortress game showing ping plotter lag spiking, or my command prompt lag spiking, and I will show in-game ping on team fortress at the same time and the lag spike never makes it to the games i play. lol it's so weird and frustrating Because I can't use the netduma host filtering because of this. 

Why can you not use the Geo-Filter when you're having this issue that doesn't appear to affect your games? If you use the radius to find a server within your distance that shouldn't be an issue. 

Yea I should do that.  Do I put ping assist to 0 and have strict mode on so It only focuses on distance within the circle that I put it to? 

Yea I should do that.  Do I put ping assist to 0 and have strict mode on so It only focuses on distance within the circle that I put it to? 

That's correct. That is the ideal setup to purely guarantee a server inside your distance radius.