Unable to forward ports on R1.

So my issue is that I have a NETGEAR modem-router that is connected to my R1. The functions of the R1 work completely well, however, port forwarding is completely broken. I am entirely incapable of forwarding ports, which, I believe to be due to the modem-router. I have gone through all steps I have seen to forward ports, but it is not working. I am also incapable of accessing my modem-router through 192.168.0.1 or through 192.168.1.1, which were provided, routerlogin.net/.com will not load. Is there any chance something else could be causing my issue with port forwarding?

Edit 1: ipconfig displays my Netduma's ip as my default gateway.

when you are in your R1 gui, go to device manager........do you see a large blue box? if so that will connect you to your netgear. If you can then go to upnp and disable it on your netgear and add the ip address of the netduma (not 88.1 but the 1 assigned by netgear in dhcp) to netgear dmz. You should be able to use port forwarding then in the netduma R1

B.D

• Netduma Staff

So my issue is that I have a NETGEAR modem-router that is connected to my R1. The functions of the R1 work completely well, however, port forwarding is completely broken. I am entirely incapable of forwarding ports, which, I believe to be due to the modem-router. I have gone through all steps I have seen to forward ports, but it is not working. I am also incapable of accessing my modem-router through 192.168.0.1 or through 192.168.1.1, which were provided, routerlogin.net/.com will not load. Is there any chance something else could be causing my issue with port forwarding?

Edit 1: ipconfig displays my Netduma's ip as my default gateway.

Hi Connor, welcome to the forum! The advice above is great so I'd recommend giving it a go. You could also perform a hard reset on your modem / Netduma. If you switch off your modem for half an hour and switch it back on, that should totally reset it. You could then connect your Netduma again and try accessing your modem.

Once you've got access to the modem interface, you should be able to put the R1 in the DMZ. I'd recommend trying out UPnP if you haven't already (disable Port Forwarding on both, and UPnP on the Modem. Leave UPnP enabled on the Netduma).

I've been looking through my router interface (thanks for the blue box tip BIG_DOG) and I couldn't find any upnp setting. Here are a list of settings that might be of help

• Under IPv6 there was "internet type" with settings for disabled, autoconfig, 6to4 tunnel, pass through, and fixed
  • A tab called "static routes" with IPv4 in the top left
  • A tab for "remote management"
  • Device mode, where I can change it between being a modem/router to just a modem, note that when it is just a modem my internet does not work
  • Transfer mode
  • DSL mode
  • Get IP from isp or enter manually
  • DNS options
  • MAC options
  • NAT filtering
  • IGMP Proxying
  • Respond to ping on internet port
  • LAN TCP/IP setup
  • Use router as DHPC server with starting ip and ending ip(this one seems most promising to me)
  • Address reservation located below the DHPC settings

Sorry for the long post!

Could it be under NAT filtering? Or do you have a sub menu simply named 'forwarding' as I see on my TP Link modem, for example?

NAT filtering has the options of secured, or open. It also has a box that is labeled "Disable SIP ALG"

• Netduma Staff

And it does have a port forwarding tab, with basic controls of edit service, delete service, create custom service, and arrange by internal ip.

I've seen people have success by putting their modem into Bridge mode - I'm not 100% sure if your modem / router will have this, though this guide should be applicable and allow you to do it: https://kb.netgear.com/24105/What-is-bridge-mode-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Nighthawk-router

That should disable the NAT handling on our modem and allow port forwarding on the R1 to function. Please let us know if this works and if you don't have bridge mode :)

So at the most inconvenient of times, my internet went down for multiple days. I had to replace the router modem and I now have to start again on this mission to make myself capable of port forwarding. I now have a centurylink modem.

• Netduma Staff

So at the most inconvenient of times, my internet went down for multiple days. I had to replace the router modem and I now have to start again on this mission to make myself capable of port forwarding. I now have a centurylink modem.

Right - hopefully the issue was related to that modem. So if you disable UPnP and Port Forwarding on your Centurylink, can you open ports on the Netduma?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Alright, progress. So I disabled upnp on both. I have access to the DMZ on the CenturyLink. I'm just wondering how I get the IP I'm supposed to be using.

For the DMZ take the WAN IP that's shown on the Device Manager and enter that.

• Netduma Staff

Thank you, now how do I test that port forwarding is functional?

If you forward ports on the Netduma, do you see the port forwarding rules get added on that page when you click apply? If you forward the ports you require, do you get an open NAT on your console / in-game?