R1 causing slower speeds (Hardwired)

Apologize in advance for the bulky post, but I want to provide as much background information as possible to help speed the process. I have 2 separate but similar issues. All speeds I am referring to are Hardwired. Nothing is related to Wi-Fi. Solving first issue will most likely solve the second.

1. Significantly slower speeds when wired into the R1 vs wired directly into the ISP router/modem combo.
  2. Bandwidth on CoD ww2 ridiculously low

ISP - ATT

Speeds Paid for:

• 30 mbps down
  • 5 mbps up

Current Speeds obtained (wired into R1):

• 8-12 mbps down
  • 1 mbps up

Current Speeds obtained (Wired into ISP modem):

• 28 mbps down
  • 3.5 mbps up

Connection setup - ATT Modem --> R1

ATT router/modem combo does not have a specified DMZ. They have DMZ+ mode, which is not the same. This is how I have it configured.

PS4 Speeds (I know these are not accurate but figured I would post them anyway for more background info):

Down: 15mbps

Up: 910kbps

I have open NAT on CoD (didn't before but i fixed it when put into the DMZ+ mode) so that is no longer an issue. My issue is with the in game bandwidth (can see under in-game settings -> console info) being significantly lower then before.

Cod Bandwidth before & after issue started:

Before: 3100 Kbps

After: 900 Kbps

This is causing me to drop to 1 bar often. I also notice on the geofilter I will go from a solid ping (below 50ms on average) to skipping around between 280-400ms.

If I run the internet diagnosis on my R1, I get the following:

Ping Jitter Spikes Packet Loss Good Exceptional Exceptional No Loss

As someone who works full time in the IT industry (cybersecurity) I am at a loss for a solution. If anyone has any suggestions/advice/solutions or even if anyone else is in a similar situation, please let me know. I appreciate any and all help/feedback

• Netduma Staff
  1. Significantly slower speeds when wired into the R1 vs wired directly into the ISP router/modem combo.
  2. Bandwidth on CoD ww2 ridiculously low

It sounds simple, but you should try replacing your Ethernet cable between the modem and the Netduma as it can potentially cause all of the above issues.

A Pingplotter test would get to the bottom of your ping jumping around, though it seems strange that your ping to the game could be so high while your diagnostics show that everything is fine. What's your Geo-Filter setup?

Games typically use

Just to ensure your settings are correct, try this setup:

- Pre-emptive Algorithm

- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using work properly.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

It sounds simple, but you should try replacing your Ethernet cable between the modem and the Netduma as it can potentially cause all of the above issues.

A Pingplotter test would get to the bottom of your ping jumping around, though it seems strange that your ping to the game could be so high while your diagnostics show that everything is fine. What's your Geo-Filter setup?

Games typically use <0.5mbps bandwidth, so even on 900kbps you shouldn't be getting 1 barred due to the bandwidth provided. The issues could still stem from the same problem though.

- Pre-emptive Algorithm

- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled

Shouldn't be the cable as i've tried a diifferent cable with the same result.

yes all my settings in the R1 are correct.  only differeence is i have my download &upload cap set to 70 each as everyone seems to say that's the best.

All of these speeds tests have been wired from a pc sitting next to the router.

Games typically use <0.5mbps bandwidth, so even on 900kbps you shouldn't be getting 1 barred due to the bandwidth provided. The issues could still stem from the same problem though.

- Pre-emptive Algorithm

- 100% anti-flood
- Share excess enabled

I just did a test on ping before and after the sets of NJ. first one, bad,bad,bad, one loss. After, good,good, exceptional, and no loss. Heading for the game. Thanks NJ. 

if your sliders are set to 70% then your speedtest results are going to be less than you paid for as you are throttling your speeds. Have you done a speedtest at 100%.

B.D

Yes i have ran a speedtest with the sliders at 100%. No difference. I even rebooted the R1 to confirm the settings took and same result

• Netduma Staff

Yes i have ran a speedtest with the sliders at 100%. No difference. I even rebooted the R1 to confirm the settings took and same result

Are you on the latest firmware version (1.03.6)? It will be worth upgrading if you aren't. I'd try a hard reset (unplug the Modem and Netduma, wait 5 minutes, plug in the Modem, wait another minute then plug in the Netduma. Wait for it to fully boot up before another speed test).

Also ensure you're using a trustworthy site like Speedtest.net, and you've got Share Excess enabled and Anti-Flood at 100/100. Also try removing your PC from Hyper Traffic if it's in there.