Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to the forum

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

mybowtie

mybowtie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 PM

New to the forum been looking at getting the R1 but now with the nighthawk xr500 can't decide. Question is which one should I go with? Thanks

fuzzy clam

fuzzy clam

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,934 posts
  • Local time: 09:51 PM
  • LocationUS - Michigan

Welcome to the forum.

And to answer your question, well that's kind of a personal choice thing.It all depends on what your looking for in regards to your home network set up.

The Nighthawk is a great dual band router with the new Duma OS already installed on it 

And the Netduma R1 is a great little piece of hardware but does not have the new OS on it yet but we'll get it sometime in April.And just so you know the R1 is 2.4g only no 5g.

So if you have fast speeds and a large home, the Nighthawk might suit your needs better as it has both 2.4 and 5g and a huge WiFi range.

So it really is up to you on which one fits your network better but both are excellent choices.

Also something to think about is do you have an ISP that has you using proprietary equipment...such as an all in one modem / router combo from AT&T.In that case go with the Netduma R1 as your stuck using the ISP's equipment.And you can just put the R1 in passthrough mode and still get all the benefits of the R1.

Just though I'd give you some things to think about before you purchase a piece of equipment,so you make sure to get the one that best suits your needs... :D

frustrated I just got a new NETDUMA, and I can't connect, how do I get the password for the Wi-Fi

:P

Netduma Iain

Netduma Iain

CTO

• Administrators
  • 7,293 posts
  • Local time: 01:51 AM

Welcome to the forum buddy. In my opinion the only reason to go r1 would be the price difference. The XR500 future proofs you due to the hardware spec. Internet speeds are increasing worldwide and unfortunately the R1 wifi is limited to under 100mbits and some of the features won't work at high speeds (if I recall correctly 400mbit and above for wired). 

You can get round Wi-Fi issue if you have another ac router by putting it behind the R1 in access point mode. But the high speed QoS unfortunately will not be possible on the R1 due to the processor.

Hope that helps :)

PharmDawgg

PharmDawgg

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,018 posts
  • Local time: 09:51 PM
  • LocationGA-USA
Welcome to the forum. 😊

BIG__DOG

BIG__DOG

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,533 posts
  • Local time: 02:51 AM
  • LocationNear Manchester

fjkxoOQm.gif

SzMsO7f.gif   x0ahK7Dt.jpg

mybowtie

mybowtie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 PM
Thanks for your guys help.

Netduma Jack

Netduma Jack

Graphic Artist

• Administrators
  • 2,682 posts

Thanks for your guys help.

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you've got some great advice above. Please let us know if you have any questions / issues in another thread and we'll be happy to help.

Technical support:

Fine tuning guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc.
FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.
Wiki - Main link to the Wiki, for everything else please search here or on the forum.
Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

Miss Vendetta

Miss Vendetta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCentral NY

Welcome to the forums :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users