Port Forwarding

I play CoDww2 on my PS4 but have my tv/cable running through my XB1X.  The only port I've forwarded was 3074, and I think I have to do it in both TCP/UDP.  My xbox is on (watching football) and it is using 3074.  The settings won't let me change the forwarding from TCP to TCP/UDP currently.  Do I have to shut down my xbox to change the ports, and if I do forward it for my PS4, will that occur automatically when my PS4 is on? That seemed to have been the case when I did it on my modem/router, but I never looked to deeply into it.  CoD is the only game I've ever had this issue with on multiple consoles, so I really don't need (and won't open) more.  Related for clarity, if I put one port forward for one device, is that just priority (it will go for that device even if another is using it when the device is started) or does it block all other devices from using that port even when the device is off? Does that make sense or am I not understanding how that works?

• Administrators

Hi Badger,

Sorry I'm a little confused. Are you trying to port forward your PS4 and Xbox at the same time? If so I'd recommend enabling UPnP (I think it is by default) in the settings menu. UPnP will automatically port forward which is really useful generally but specfically it's a must have when you have multiple consoles.

Also could you try draw a text diagram of your setup to help me understand the issue. For example

Modem XR500 AC1900 bridge  Xbox

TV

Some wired device

Hi Badger,

Sorry I'm a little confused. Are you trying to port forward your PS4 and Xbox at the same time? If so I'd recommend enabling UPnP (I think it is by default) in the settings menu. UPnP will automatically port forward which is really useful generally but specfically it's a must have when you have multiple consoles.

Also could you try draw a text diagram of your setup to help me understand the issue. For example

Modem <-> XR500 <-> AC1900 bridge  < - wifi -> Xbox

< - wifi -> TV

<-> Some wired device

I normally don't have my PS4 on unless I'm playing it.  At the moment my xbox is using the port (3074) under the UPnP tab.  I'm trying to set it to port forward for the PS4, and it is set for TCP under port forwarding.  I tried to change it to TCP/UDP but it won't let me do that since it is in use.  The last time I had to do this, I think I had to shut off the xbox temporarily so I could set it to that.  I hadn't done that yet.  I wanted to see if there was another way but it's not a big thing.  I assume since it was being used by my xbox for whatever reason it wouldn't let me dedicate it in that mode (UPnP)

I guess a diagram would be modem (1900 in bridge mode) - xr500 - xbox/PS4/laptop wired

- tv (wireless)

but my cable box goes through my XB1X (and my tv etc are tuned to it - I power off my xbox and everything shuts off, so I have to turn on the tv with my tv remote, power on the sound bar, etc).  My ps4 is just plugged into the tv directly.  Normally I leave my XB on One Guide (so normal tv plays and it doesn't shut off) and switch inputs to play on the PS4, which is where CoDww2 is.  It's easier than it sounds. 

My other question was just more general - if I port forward 3074, is that available for other devices if the PS4 (the device that it is forwarded for) is off, or is it just set aside so other devices can't use it.  Most other games, on both systems, don't need to have anything forwarded, but the CoD games have to have that port or else my NAT jumps to strict for that game only.  In the past I hadn't any ports forwarded but when switching between two CoDs (in this case BO3 and AW), one was NAT:Open and the other NAT:Strict at the same time.  To me it seems like the base engine of the CoD franchise is just out of date or something.

Does that help?  

ETA = turning my xbox off temporarily let me change the tcp to tcp/udp and it took place after rebooting the router.

Edited by Badger3k

• Administrators

Ok I think I get you. I don't understand cable box going through xbox. But sounds like tech that is not available in UK so I personally haven't been exposed to it.

Ok onto port forwarding. A port can only be forwarded to one device. That's just how port forwarding works. So to answer your question if you port forward 3074 to the xbox then it is exclusive to that xbox.

Now xbox and playstation are aware of this, that's why they use UPnP. Because with static port forwarding only one device can have open NAT.

With UPnP the xbox and playstation will negotiate which port they use. I'd suggest doing the following:

- if you have your xbox or playsation added to your Geo-Filter then put them in spectating mode.

- make sure upnp is enabled and remove any static port forwards you have created for 307x range.

- turn off playsation and xbox. Then software reboot your router.

- wait couple mins turn on xbox and playsation.

Do both show open ports now?

Thanks Iain,

I love NetDuma as a company! It's great that the team responds to us instead of some random forum admin.

On top of that the R1 has saved me lots of anger.

More than anything I can't stand lag and the R1 has made my online gaming experince so much better.

I stream weekly on twitch and almost every stream mention the R1.

I'm a huge bleaver in NetDuma software and the company as a whole.

As long as the complanys value don't change I'll always support your products.

Unfortunately at the moment I can't afford the NightHawk XR500 :(

Hopefully one day I'll gater up the funds!

I can't wait to show it off and continue my support of NetDuma.

Thanks again for watching my video & fixing my lag!

(Scott) Aka Tilted Controller