Xr500 vs Original R1

Ive had the R1  since close to release date. Will the  R1 with new OS be better than the Xr500? I have heard there will be more features that the xr500 will not be able to access,the reason i'm asking I was going  to give my R1 to a friend when my XR500 comes in today.

as stated in the above comment.............however, the new Nighthawk XR500 has newer hardware and supports 5g wifi. But If you have an old router that has 5g and can put it in AC mode you can connect that to the R1 and have 5g on the r1 and still use it's features. But as stated above the R1 will get new features before it goes on to the nighthawk if Netgear decide to add them......Keeping the R1 is the best option in my opinion at the moment.

B.D

• Administrators

The XR500 has phenomenal hardware and can run every DumaOS feature easily. I'd suggest lending the R1 to your friend till just after April when we start our Roadmap. Once we start our Roadmap we will test experimental features on the R1 first then the NH if community like the feature. If you'd rather wait and get well tested features then you can give R1 to your friend if you enjoy experimenting then it maybe useful to have the R1 behind your NH for testing bleeding edge experiments.

Hope that makes sense :) 

The nighthawk XR500 feels cheap, it's not the same quality as there other nighthawks. I feel to hit the price point of this router they went short on everything else. You guys are a great company but this may ruin your product.

1. Feels cheap

2. Feels like Netgear has made they own changes to the firmware which is not good. Netduma should have full control how it operates and firmware dates and the release dates.

3. Bufferbloat is crazy bad, trying to adjust it just makes it worse.

4. In apps don't work well or not at all.

R1 should got this new OS first for all the testers on this form , then once all the bugs got fixed then offer an upgrade router. This what we have been doing since the birth of the R1 and this is why the R1 and the Netduma has done so well. The old saying is. Don't fix it if theres nothing broken.

• Administrators

Sorry mate but I have to respond fairly as other people may read this.

1. That is your opinion, I think it looks slick. But what really matters is under the hood and it's way more powerful than any consumer chip out there. Qualcomm ipq806x hardware acceleration is beast! 2 cores dedicated to networking is far from cheap. With 2 spare cores 1.7ghz for non networking cpu is ridiculously powerful. This can handle any feature and all QoS at full speed. Incredible engineering by qualcomm.

2. Netgears firmware is in the settings R-App meaning you have their huge featureset. Including all their USB capabilities. Their wireless engineering and features are second to none. Every network setting you could want, many of which people have asked for here e.g. dmz, port trigger, url content filtering, pptp, etc etc

3.I'm almost certain you have it misconfigured. The anti-bufferbloat is excellent in all our testing. With zero software jitter it has better performance than the r1.

4. The testing process for the xr500 is far far far more rigorous than the r1. The software is of a much higher standard. Not even comparable.

Having said that I really appreciate that you're a big fan of the r1. I'm happy to assist you 1 on 1 with xr500, I'd highly recommended upgrading to new firmware. I can send you a link directly if you wish :)

But in conclusion XR500 with DumaOS is a vastly superior product to r1 both in software and hardware in my honest opinion.

There may be some launch teething issues, and I'm very happy to help you when you have time.

The nighthawk XR500 feels cheap, it's not the same quality as there other nighthawks. I feel to hit the price point of this router they went short on everything else. You guys are a great company but this may ruin your product.

1. Feels cheap

2. Feels like Netgear has made they own changes to the firmware which is not good. Netduma should have full control how it operates and firmware dates and the release dates.

3. Bufferbloat is crazy bad, trying to adjust it just makes it worse.

4. In apps don't work well or not at all.

R1 should got this new OS first for all the testers on this form , then once all the bugs got fixed then offer an upgrade router. This what we have been doing since the birth of the R1 and this is why the R1 and the Netduma has done so well. The old saying is. Don't fix it if theres nothing broken.

What do you mean cheap? The physical feel of it? I have the 7800 which is pretty much the same hardware feels like all the other night hawks in my opinion.

If buffer bloat is bad then there is an issue with the Duma OS not the hardware.

Do you update the firm ware with new releases version?

• Administrators

What do you mean cheap? The physical feel of it? I have the 7800 which is pretty much the same hardware feels like all the other night hawks in my opinion.

If buffer bloat is bad then there is an issue with the Duma OS not the hardware.

Do you update the firm ware with new releases version?

Bufferbloat works excellently in DumaOS. I think its a usability issue. We addressed this in firmware that dropped today :)

This is my opinion, looks nice but material is cheap

What I see many complaints about the same thing.

As far as my knowing how it set it up, really. I have been with you guys from the day one of the R1 and a tester for you guys. I want this Netgear to be the best as much as you guys do. So take this and others input and go back to Netgear and tell them to step up there game or you will find other router company to go with. I'm a business owner for 25 yrs and customer input is the most important part for growth and for what ever product or service your selling and providing.

My experience with the bufferbloat is totally different. I’m consistently get A and A+s with very little time spent. It’s as close as plug and play as it gets. I’ve maybe spent 10 minutes adjusting and it’s been pretty flawless.

As far as my knowing how it set it up, really. I have been with you guys from the day one of the R1 and a tester for you guys. I want this Netgear to be the best as much as you guys do. So take this and others input and go back to Netgear and tell them to step up there game or you will find other router company to go with. I'm a business owner for 25 yrs and customer input is the most important part for growth and for what ever product or service your selling and providing.

I am shocked NG would use some other plastic on their routers, maybe because it does have that matte look to it?  Maybe go through the paces again, and set up the router again.  Try doing a factory reset on it and if you can update the firmware again and then do another factory reset. IDK, just throwing out ideas....

• Administrators

We have a really good relationship with NG. So any feedback is definitely welcome and we will let the execs know. So you don't like the material of the product? Which routers do you like the material/look of? I personally think it looks sexy personally I'd like to have added a few colours in the front grill but I'm very happy overall with the look of it. 

Quickly in terms of software upgrades the NG is going to get all the latest features please read this: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23363-geo-filter-nighthawk-pro-gaming/?p=169910

Btw Anon I know you were one of the first to get an R1 you don't need to remind me. I remember all the early adopters and really appreciate you supporting us early on and continuing to do so in the future. You were part of the coal mine for a long time :)

Anyway I understand you get the R1 fully but DumaOS has some gotchas which even I forget sometimes that is why I highly recommend upgrading as the usability is much better and far less likely to make a mistake. Trust me I'm not being condescending, I wish we would have launched with that firmware. We worked over Xmas to get it out but testing took too long to release on Monday. I believe it came out today. Also feel free to dm and schedule 1 on 1 or give me any other feedback you wish.

My experience with the bufferbloat is totally different. I’m consistently get A and A+s with very little time spent. It’s as close as plug and play as it gets. I’ve maybe spent 10 minutes adjusting and it’s been pretty flawless.

That is awesome to hear Sindonesia. Also long time buddy :) We tried very hard to make it much easier to use than the R1. I know many of the people here are R1 experts and find it easy to easy to use. But quite a lot of people found the UI too complicated so DumaOS really simplifies it. Are you on the latest version mate? You can tell because there is a profiles button on the Geo-Filter. If you're not I highly recommend you upgrade. The new version is much easier to use and fixes a few issues.

On the blufferboat I get an error "Error-noent" everytime I try to adjust it. Any ideas?

Hi buddy, I'm here to help. I'll DM you my email address so we can arrange a 1 on 1. Please check your dms :) 

I am shocked NG would use some other plastic on their routers, maybe because it does have that matte look to it?  Maybe go through the paces again, and set up the router again.  Try doing a factory reset on it and if you can update the firmware again and then do another factory reset. IDK, just throwing out ideas....

Thanks for helping mate. See my comments above I think we should have this sorted ASAP.

That is awesome to hear Sindonesia. Also long time buddy :) We tried very hard to make it much easier to use than the R1. I know many of the people here are R1 experts and find it easy to easy to use. But quite a lot of people found the UI too complicated so DumaOS really simplifies it. Are you on the latest version mate? You can tell because there is a profiles button on the Geo-Filter. If you're not I highly recommend you upgrade. The new version is much easier to use and fixes a few.

I’m at work right now but if it didn’t auto update, I’ll manually do it when I get home. I’m loving how easy you all have made it to optimize.

• Administrators

I’m at work right now but if it didn’t auto update, I’ll manually do it when I get home. I’m loving how easy you all have made it to optimize.

Awesome mate! Yeah I think if you have auto-upgrade it should do it. I'm not sure how often it checks though, it is either once a day or once a week. So very definitely worth checking your on the latest and if not manually upgrading :) 

• Administrators

On the blufferboat I get an error "Error-noent" everytime I try to adjust it. Any ideas?

As mentioned above dm me if you want a 1 on 1. Otherwise I reckon the simplest fix is a factory reset by doing this: https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-XR500-Nighthawk-gaming-router

Let me know if this fixes it. And if you want a 1 on 1 let me know :)

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

I can't remember what it was but which features does XR500 misses compared the NetdumaR1? There were some of them please tell me?

Off the top of my head - Ping Assist, Peer Ping & Hybrid VPN which is being worked on/tested right now

I can't remember what it was but which features does XR500 misses compared the NetdumaR1? There were some of them please tell me?

Off the top of my head - Ping Assist, Peer Ping & Hybrid VPN which is being worked on/tested right now

Geo-filter variable zoom  :rolleyes: lol *sigh*

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Can I do a 1 on 1 about why it’s been almost 3 months without a single peep about DumaOs on the R1?

A 1 on 1 for what issue? You need to make a support topic if you have an issue and if its unfixable then we can do a 1 on 1.