VPN Client

Have the new netgear. It appears with the VPN client its all traffic or nothing. I can not find a place where I can route which devices I want to use the VPN client and which ones not too. Is this true? Is this a feature planned to come out soon if not?

Also any parental controls planned? Did not see any.

On the R1 you can decide which devices are sent through the vpn. This maybe a feature that Netgear adds at a later date if they so wish and if Netduma have designed that feature for the new OS.

I am sure when 1 of the Netduma staff sees this post then they may clarify this for you.

B.D

• Administrators

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That is correct that is how it operates at the moment. We have mentioned the VPN solution we use on the R1 to them so it's up to them if they wish to have us implement it.

You can schedule times for devices to be online etc, block websites. It's all from the Settings menu under Content Filtering.

Thank you both for the reply. So it is up to Netgear to decide what features of Dumaos we will get? So even though that is the OS of the router / I may not get the full updates, patches, etc that you release with the software? I bought it only for the Dumaos so if I am getting filtered software I may reconsider..

• Administrators

Hi,

I'm pretty sure we will integrate our VPN R-App into xr500 pretty soon. Quite a few NG beta testers requested it. I assume you want all our VPN features?

I'll let NG know so we can priotise that feature as it seems people want it.

• Administrators

Thank you both for the reply. So it is up to Netgear to decide what features of Dumaos we will get? So even though that is the OS of the router / I may not get the full updates, patches, etc that you release with the software? I bought it only for the Dumaos so if I am getting filtered software I may reconsider..

NG will have all our top features dont worry about that. Including moving forward as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, welcome to the forum!

That is correct that is how it operates at the moment. We have mentioned the VPN solution we use on the R1 to them so it's up to them if they wish to have us implement it.

You can schedule times for devices to be online etc, block websites. It's all from the Settings menu under Content Filtering.

Wow, this should be clearly advertised. The way all the marketing is presented made me think this was DumaOS on Netgear hardware. But it is DumaOS-lite with less features.

I bought this for the VPN and I guess I'm returning it.

• Administrators

Wow, this should be clearly advertised. The way all the marketing is presented made me think this was DumaOS on Netgear hardware. But it is DumaOS-lite with less features.

I bought this for the VPN and I guess I'm returning it.

It is DumaOS on Netgear hardware, we didn't state that all features of the R1 would be available immediately as they are completely different software solutions. The favourite features will be brought to DumaOS because of the high demand. I would recommend keeping it as the VPN in it's current state will still protect your devices and we can deploy updates and new features rapidly so you will likely see that feature soon.

It is DumaOS on Netgear hardware, we didn't state that all features of the R1 would be available immediately as they are completely different software solutions. The favourite features will be brought to DumaOS because of the high demand. I would recommend keeping it as the VPN in it's current state will still protect your devices and we can deploy updates and new features rapidly so you will likely see that feature soon.

Your VPN solution looks top notch. I'm very sad that it wasn't included.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't change the VPN provider. How do I put my own OpenVPN configs on the router? Am I locked in to the single VPN provider that came with the router?

• Administrators

Your VPN solution looks top notch. I'm very sad that it wasn't included.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't change the VPN provider. How do I put my own OpenVPN configs on the router? Am I locked in to the single VPN provider that came with the router?

Thank you! I certainly understand your sadness, you likely looked at our website regarding our VPN solution and figured it'd definitely be on DumaOS. It's not there now but as Iain (our CTO & Lead Developer) has mentioned that will be included so don't worry!

Are you on the latest version 2.1.0.4? If not I would first recommend upgrading to that, it has bug fixes and really useful usability improvements: https://kb.netgear.com/000053269/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-1-0-4 

On that version you should be able to choose between IPVanish & HMA. Our solution will allow OpenVPN configs but you can't currently do that on this VPN Client.

• Administrators

Hi peanut,

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the VPN feature. NETGEAR have already agreed to include our VPN feature in future firmware. It is a prioritised feature as well so should be available in less than a month. I'm not sure if you've returned it already but we can give you early access to the VPN feature as soon as we develop it. The VPN feature in DumaOS is even more powerful as we have much more advanced DPI so you can pick by device and/or most applications which go through the VPN.

Finally in terms of how DumaOS roadmap the best explanation is DumaOS consists of two parts. A top half and a bottom half, the top half conssits of all our R-Apps and bottom half consists of drivers that control the hardware. The reason I mention it is that any top half feature we add will automatically work on all platforms. So NETGEAR will defintely get all our top features, and the road-map ahead is very rich. 

Hope that clears it up for you and if you have any further questions please let me know :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi yoda & peanut,

Just a little update, we are currently developing the VPN feature for DumaOS on the XR500, it will be in the next firmware update (after the one that comes out soon). 

So will there be another firmware version coming out before the version with additional VPN settings?  I have until March 6th to return this router to Amazon and would like to be able to use my own VPN Client Provider (TorGuard).  I was able to before with my Asus Router.  I can return this for now and purchase it again at a later date once the feature is released?  It seems so far that firmware releases happen about once a month, so by April maybe?

• Administrators

So will there be another firmware version coming out before the version with additional VPN settings?  I have until March 6th to return this router to Amazon and would like to be able to use my own VPN Client Provider (TorGuard).  I was able to before with my Asus Router.  I can return this for now and purchase it again at a later date once the feature is released?  It seems so far that firmware releases happen about once a month, so by April maybe?

I was actually incorrect when I said that. I posted an update here of what to expect in the next firmware update: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23930-xr500-dumaos-update/our VPN solution will be included and the update will be out in March. I would recommend hanging on to it as you'll be getting some other cool new features as well being able to use your VPN provider.

• 1 month later...

I was actually incorrect when I said that. I posted an update here of what to expect in the next firmware update: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23930-xr500-dumaos-update/our VPN solution will be included and the update will be out in March. I would recommend hanging on to it as you'll be getting some other cool new features as well being able to use your VPN provider.

Any update on the DumaOS VPN client on the XR500?

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Any updates on the DumaOS VPN client on the XR500?

I need to know before buying it.

Being tested right now. Believe Netgear may want to test it more thoroughly so not sure when the estimated deadline is at the moment

I thought that the VPN originally was scheduled for a March update, its already June and people are still testing it? I am going to buy something else, it's only waiting and waiting and waiting, false ETA's and more incorrect ETA's.

• Administrators

I thought that the VPN originally was scheduled for a March update, its already June and people are still testing it? I am going to buy something else, it's only waiting and waiting and waiting, false ETA's and more incorrect ETA's.

That was my interpretation at the time but development always is subject to delays you're just not always aware of it as not every company tries to give ETAs/details on what is coming next. Your choice of course, but it is coming and better than the original VPN Hybrid of the R1.

But instead of focussing on that it would be nice to see the DumaOS on the R1 at all. Instead of saying better than the NetdumaR1 all the time, I know multiple people that bought the Netduma R1 2 weeks before the promised update because of the promised update, so you saying that the XR500 is better all the time, why don't you just focus on that device then?

• Administrators

But instead of focussing on that it would be nice to see the DumaOS on the R1 at all. Instead of saying better than the NetdumaR1 all the time, I know multiple people that bought the Netduma R1 2 weeks before the promised update because of the promised update, so you saying that the XR500 is better all the time, why don't you just focus on that device then?

I was just saying that the VPN will be better, more providers to choose from, easier to use and we're able to add servers/providers quickly. We are of course working on the R1 as well.

I was just saying that the VPN will be better, more providers to choose from, easier to use and we're able to add servers/providers quickly. We are of course working on the R1 as well.

I'm assuming we can add our own custom VPN settings by pasting in an OpenVPN config, like we did on the R1. Is that right?