Major Announcement: Netduma partner with NETGEAR to launch the Nighthawk XR500 Gaming Router

Netduma Iain

Hi all, 

I can't respond to you all personally so I will answer the general themes I have seen in the comments. Thank you for all the kinds words and the feedback. 

--

Can you exchange the R1 for the XR500 or get a discount towards the XR500?

- Netgear are a separate company so that wouldn't be possible.

Can we put DumaOS on our existing Netgear router? 

- No you can't. Unless Netgear decide in future that they want to allow that.

Why April if DumaOS is ready now?

- DumaOS for the R1 has/will have more new and exciting features which therefore takes longer to perfect. As it is slower hardware we also need to do a lot of speed optimisations. As well as doing the Settings section ourselves. The XR500 utilises Netgear settings integrated with DumaOS.

Availability outside the US?

- That is a question for Netgear but I'm sure they will branch out of the US soon.

How fast will updates come out/will there be new features?

- The R1 will have faster updates and new features in the long run.

The price is too high.

- We don't have any influence on how Netgear calculate the final retail price.

Does the XR500 have the Anti-Jitter/Anti-Spike feature?

- No, that is on our R1 roadmap.

There is only one issue that I have with your answers and that's that your http://www.dumaos.com/ page shows that Beta testing was completed in 2017. Luke stated June 6, 2017 that "Once usability is in place we can then widen the beta to more users. So this means we will be expanding the beta pool soon through the Coal Mine. Open Beta should then follow not long afterwards." If Beta testing is completed why do early adopters not have the open Beta version of the software?

Some of the features have been “tweaked” to run more efficiently. The Netgear router offers better WiFi features if that’s important to you because of the processing power and latest technology that the Netgear offers. The anti jitter/anti spike feature is only available to the R1. This feature is not available on the Netgear. If WiFi is important, the Netgear is the way to go. I hated running 2 separate devices. One for the geo-filter and one for WiFi. With the Netgear, I now have the best of both worlds!

People just need to remember that Netduma is a software based company and Netgear is a hardware based company. The key is the software! But by implementing the 2....you now have one badass gaming router that I doubt other companies can compete with as the geo-filter is proprietary! That’s the one that makes Netduma stand above the rest!

The actual OS is different... it's not the same as what you currently have on the R1. It's not just a GUI over the current 1.03.6(?) firmware we have access to.

What I hope is that when they release DumaOS for the R1, that they have enough personal to handle support for both the XR500 and the R1.  

Support for the XR500 will be on the Netgear forum not here (I think). As the XR500 isn't going to be released anywhere but in America at first, it would be difficult for a lot of us to offer any kind of advice as we won't have one ourselves. Unless Netgear are going to provide us with XR500s.

The actual OS is different... it's not the same as what you currently have on the R1. It's not just a GUI over the current 1.03.6(?) firmware we have access to.

The DumaOS has been been updated and is designed to run more efficiently. The theory of the software is still the same....it was just made easier for non technical minded people to setup. Although...some things has been improved for the end user.

The DumaOS has been been updated and is designed to run more efficiently. The theory of the software is still the same....it was just made easier for non technical minded people to setup. Although...some things has been improved for the end user.

The R1 is not running the DumaOS... the software "theory" may be similar to what we're running, but it is not the same.

And the feature set is different as well. Basically like comparing oranges to tangerines; similar but not at all the same.

The R1 is not running the DumaOS... the software "theory" may be similar to what we're running, but it is not the same.

And the feature set is different as well. Basically like comparing oranges to tangerines; similar but not at all the same.

I take it you was  a beta tester ? you seem to know more than the devs.

I take it you was  a beta tester ? you seem to know more than the devs.

? I'm not really certain what to say to this. I don't know more than the devs nor do I claim to; I only know what has been explained by the Duma team. If I misunderstood something then I am happy to be corrected.

Hi all, 

I can't respond to you all personally so I will answer the general themes I have seen in the comments. Thank you for all the kinds words and the feedback. 

--

Can you exchange the R1 for the XR500 or get a discount towards the XR500?

- Netgear are a separate company so that wouldn't be possible.

Can we put DumaOS on our existing Netgear router? 

- No you can't. Unless Netgear decide in future that they want to allow that.

Why April if DumaOS is ready now?

- DumaOS for the R1 has/will have more new and exciting features which therefore takes longer to perfect. As it is slower hardware we also need to do a lot of speed optimisations. As well as doing the Settings section ourselves. The XR500 utilises Netgear settings integrated with DumaOS.

Availability outside the US?

- That is a question for Netgear but I'm sure they will branch out of the US soon.

How fast will updates come out/will there be new features?

- The R1 will have faster updates and new features in the long run.

The price is too high.

- We don't have any influence on how Netgear calculate the final retail price.

No anti-jitter on the NetGear XR500? Ok time to take my trusty R1 off of Craigslist then!  Congratulations with the NetGear partnership fellas, I'm glad other routers are recognizing how great your software really is! One more question before completely throwing away the idea of buying an XR500; will the Netgear XR500 have r-apps? 

You are correct. The current R1 is not running the latest DumaOS. What I’m saying is that once the latest DumaOS is released for the R1, it will be very similar to what is on the Netgear now. The R1 will have the “anti-jitter/anti-ping” as the Netgear will not. The only thing I see that the R1 can’t offer is better WiFi and that just due to the limitations of the current R1 hardware. Just remember now, when Netduma first came out, the whole intention was to release a device that can help gamers with their lag/ping and geo-location as to how we connect to people around the world. At the time, the hardware they chose was sufficient as to what they were trying to accomplish. Fast forward to now...the R1 still works and runs stable, but it just needed better WiFi....and now it does! I’m pretty sure eventually the R1 hardware will be update (I think) but only the Netduma clan knows this answer!

Sorry to be a pain Fraser, but am i correct in thinking that dumaos will be an upgraded gui without the bugs from the original, and the anti-jitter/spike will be implemented further down the line?

You are correct. The current R1 is not running the latest DumaOS. What I’m saying is that once the latest DumaOS is released for the R1, it will be very similar to what is on the Netgear now. The R1 will have the “anti-jitter/anti-ping” as the Netgear will not. The only thing I see that the R1 can’t offer is better WiFi and that just due to the limitations of the current R1 hardware. Just remember now, when Netduma first came out, the whole intention was to release a device that can help gamers with their lag/ping and geo-location as to how we connect to people around the world. At the time, the hardware they chose was sufficient as to what they were trying to accomplish. Fast forward to now...the R1 still works and runs stable, but it just needed better WiFi....and now it does! I’m pretty sure eventually the R1 hardware will be update (I think) but only the Netduma clan knows this answer!

So are these the same features we have now, only difference is the way it’s laid out? I don’t see anything different then what is offered now. Also is this one self sustained or do I need to spend hours on the forum to get it to work?

This is the question that I was answering in my post; my understanding was that he was asking if it's the same as what we currently run.

Well this changes everything. No Anti-Jitter/Anti-Spike features on the Netgear.

I was interested on the Netgear because of the CPU being superior so that it could maintain higher VPN speeds but with those lack of features it's best to stay with the R1.

I guess the only thing to be seen is if the Netgear down the road will be getting Anti-Jitter/Anti-Spike features or not.

Congrats to NetDuma for you partnership.

Congratulations boys! It's been a rough last year or so traversing the salty waters of these forum and I'm really pleased with this development from a business perspective as it means a much more secure revenue stream to grow your team and your product  :D

As an existing R1 owner, I'm really happy to see that we will receive DumaOS as promised rather than needing to upgrade the hardware (though solid for wired connections is pretty dated) and that we have a street date for the software launch.

I want some of the new router's wireless features for the kiddly-winks and mobile devices, so this is a no-brainer purchase for me. The only concern is anti-jitter and anti-spike absent on the Netgear...looks like I'll keep the R1 for my gear and the Netgear to cover wireless.

More than anything, I'm glad to see DumaOS isn't dead and that there's a legitimate reason behind the extended silence. I'd rather envision Iain with his head down and arse up tinkering with a Netgear router than lounging on a couch flipping the R1 over in his hands imagining what could have been... ;)

Hi Fraser, could I trouble you for clarification on that, I see a few saying that it won't be a feature on the XR500, which was probably assumed from your above comment (unless I missed a follow up post, I did have a few pages to catch up on which i skim-read); is the Anti-Jitter/Anti-Spike feature only going to be available on the R1?

Definitely nice to know DumaOS release date and to know that the R1 will indeed have the anti jitter. But at a later date as it is on the roadmap. So with that said, would say it's probably best to wait it out then. But probably still get it(xr500) later down the line but so far R1 is still getting updated.

I can understand your point of view to a limit... if Microsoft promised an update to improve functionality as a free update available "as soon as it is completed" and then began selling a computer with the updated software before rolling it out to those who were promised it, there would be backlash by the consumer.

They actually do that exact thing. Typically computer manufactures get access to new versions of windows to implement into their systems before it is available to the public to purchase/download.

https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RTM.html

They actually do that exact thing. Typically computer manufactures get access to new versions of windows to implement into their systems before it is available to the public to purchase/download.

https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RTM.html

The manufacturers get the software to test against their hardware, not for early release in your example. Additionally, I have never heard of a manufacturer promising a customer base access to updates as soon as they're available and then making them available elsewhere first; if they did there were definitely repercussions.

In fact, RTM software is, more often than not, outdated and in need of update once it reaches the shelves.

The manufacturers get the software to test against their hardware, not for early release in your example. Additionally, I have never heard of a manufacturer promising a customer base access to updates as soon as they're available and then making them available elsewhere first; if they did there were definitely repercussions.

In fact, RTM software is, more often than not, outdated and in need of update once it reaches the shelves.

As far as I can remember Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 all got a RTM version and was released pre-installed on PCs well before the public had access to download the OS legally from Microsoft.

Also, nobody promised anyone anything besides free updates. You're getting a free update when it's ready.

As far as I can remember Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 all got a RTM version and was released pre-installed on PCs well before the public had access to download the OS legally from Microsoft.

Also, nobody promised anyone anything besides free updates. You're getting a free update when it's ready.

I'm not really certain why we're discussing a company that made certain promises (NetDuma) and one that didn't (Microsoft); -and before you state that I made the comparison, mine stated if MS had promised and breached as Duma did-, but okay, I'll play... I can't recall the previous versions, but the bits were released for any who wanted them for Windows 10 at the same time as the RTM was sent out (same bits.) That's the RTM sent; not actually in production units, just sent to manufacturers.

DumaOS is ready, we don't have it and it was promised: Luke stated June 6, 2017 that "Once usability is in place we can then widen the beta to more users. So this means we will be expanding the beta pool soon through the Coal Mine. Open Beta should then follow not long afterwards."

According to the DumaOS timeline "Development continues - Beta testing of DumaOS completes..." in 2017; it's now 2018 and no open beta.

Look, guy, I wouldn't even be commenting any further if there weren't people trying to discredit what I've stated without facts; my statements are based on the facts as I understand them, not some emotional contempt. I would never claim that I can't be wrong, but I have yet, in this instance, to be shown to be. Your disagreements with my statements haven't really pertained to my statements, but instead were some straw man creation. Whether intentional or not, you're not really adding any knowledge concerning my comments only seemingly trying to muddy my points.