Netduma ping problem and strict mode broken

• Netduma Staff

okay guys now after fighting with Verizon for hour in the phone they star doing some tracert google.com on the command prompt and i guess they saw something wrong. i don't what they did on they end that have changed the graph on ping plotter i did a quick test while they was still connected to my pc using the internet and this is the way it look now. 

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1515532122-U25974.png

now what is my next step from here.

Hmm... It's looking better at least, though in this particular screenshot it's still got the sawtooth pattern. The second screenshot doesn't appear to have any kind of pattern, indicating that the Netduma isn't the cause of the issue. Try these settings just to ensure that your Netduma is helping as much as possible:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

Have you tried new Ethernet cables since?

Hmm... It's looking better at least, though in this particular screenshot it's still got the sawtooth pattern. The second screenshot doesn't appear to have any kind of pattern, indicating that the Netduma isn't the cause of the issue. Try these settings just to ensure that your Netduma is helping as much as possible:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

Have you tried new Ethernet cables since?

yes i did try other Ethernet cable and my download and upload speed is 100/100 and i will try Hyper Traffic also my ping spike is still there but way less after they did some changes. my question is how can i get the ping spike completely out . Thank you all of you for trying to help.

• Netduma Staff

yes i did try other Ethernet cable and my download and upload speed is 100/100 and i will try Hyper Traffic also my ping spike is still there but way less after they did some changes. my question is how can i get the ping spike completely out . Thank you all of you for trying to help.

I'm glad the ping spikes are less dramatic now - how's your gameplay feeling? Ping Spikes and Jitter tend to be caused by your line or equipment. Researching the best modems for gaming (which are compatible with your ISP) and getting one would help. Faulty Ethernet cables and line quality to your area can also be factors in causing ping spikes and jitter.

I'd recommend always playing on a wired connection, but if you keep having issues with ping spikes regardless of your settings and whether you have the Netduma connected or disconnected, it might be time to switch service / provider or buy a new modem.

I'm glad the ping spikes are less dramatic now - how's your gameplay feeling? Ping Spikes and Jitter tend to be caused by your line or equipment. Researching the best modems for gaming (which are compatible with your ISP) and getting one would help. Faulty Ethernet cables and line quality to your area can also be factors in causing ping spikes and jitter.

I'd recommend always playing on a wired connection, but if you keep having issues with ping spikes regardless of your settings and whether you have the Netduma connected or disconnected, it might be time to switch service / provider or buy a new modem.

I had optimum but i decide to switch to verizon before getting the r1 so every test was done with Verizon. so today i decide to reconnect my optimum service i ran the test again with optimum and this is how the graph look any suggestion or help will be appreciated.

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1515708407-U25974.png

I had optimum but i decide to switch to verizon before getting the r1 so every test was done with Verizon. so today i decide to reconnect my optimum service i ran the test again with optimum and this is how the graph look any suggestion or help will be appreciated.

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1515708407-U25974.png

Interesting stuff. Is Optimum cable? That's obviously a much more normal ping plot, albeit with considerable spiking - kinda typical for cable unfortunately. Since the R1 clearly isn't causing the weird sawtooth pattern, maybe Verizon isn't providing enough bandwidth for your area/street. Or maybe that's not possible if you're on full fibre to the home, since I doubt bandwidth is shared in that case. Or maybe FTTH lines aren't similar to leased lines in that regard, idk...

Are you changing modems when you switch from the Optimum connection to Verizon?

Interesting stuff. Is Optimum cable? That's obviously a much more normal ping plot, albeit with considerable spiking - kinda typical for cable unfortunately. Since the R1 clearly isn't causing the weird sawtooth pattern, maybe Verizon isn't providing enough bandwidth for your area/street. Or maybe that's not possible if you're on full fibre to the home, since I doubt bandwidth is shared in that case. Or maybe FTTH lines aren't similar to leased lines in that regard, idk...

Are you changing modems when you switch from the Optimum connection to Verizon?

yes it is Optimum cable and Verizon doesn't have modems they have this thing call ont. so right now i have two isp and still having the same sawtooth pattern and still having ping spike at this point idk what to do.

• Administrators

yes it is Optimum cable and Verizon doesn't have modems they have this thing call ont. so right now i have two isp and still having the same sawtooth pattern and still having ping spike at this point idk what to do.

This could indicate the line directly connecting to your house could be the cause. I'm not sure how it works in the US and who would be responsible for that but it'd be worth calling ISP and saying you had this issue with previous ISP.