Netgear in AP mode

tellto

Hello,

I was thinking of changing my setup to Modem>R1>Netgear (AP). I understand that the netgear has to be connected to the modem via ethernet to get internet access, but does the netgear have to be connected to the duma ? I want to get 5 ghz internet while still being able to use all the featres on the duma.

yes, it has to be connected to the netduma via wan port on netgear to lan on netduma. you then log into the netgear gui (after you have switched from router to ap mode) with the ip address that the netduma has assigned to it.    All devices on wifi will access the internet through the netgear but will get their ip addresses from netduma :)

I was thinking of changing my setup to Modem>R1>Netgear (AP). I understand that the netgear has to be connected to the modem via ethernet to get internet access, but does the netgear have to be connected to the duma ?

As BD says. The Netgear should be connected to the Netduma, not the modem. The Netduma is then connected to the modem.

Hello,

I was thinking of changing my setup to Modem>R1>Netgear (AP). I understand that the netgear has to be connected to the modem via ethernet to get internet access, but does the netgear have to be connected to the duma ? I want to get 5 ghz internet while still being able to use all the featres on the duma.

As stated above that's how my set up is...modem > duma > NG in AP mode and that set up will give you the results your looking for in regards to having 5 g speeds and still have all the benefits that the duma provides.

yes, it has to be connected to the netduma via wan port on netgear to lan on netduma. you then log into the netgear gui (after you have switched from router to ap mode) with the ip address that the netduma has assigned to it.    All devices on wifi will access the internet through the netgear but will get their ip addresses from netduma :)

Hey Big Dog, thank you for the help. Whenever I try to log in to the netgear gui, it does not let me. It says "no file or directory". I currently have my setup as modem - duma (via Lan) - netgear (via Lan). Any suggestions?

Hey Big Dog, thank you for the help. Whenever I try to log in to the netgear gui, it does not let me. It says "no file or directory". I currently have my setup as modem - duma (via Lan) - netgear (via Lan). Any suggestions?

Set it up like I posted above, with all devices going to the duma, either wired or wireless.

And I turn off the WiFi on my duma and just run 2.4 and 5 on my netgear,that way the 2.4 doesn't conflict with both being on.

If I’m not mistaken when you place the Netgear in ap mode you will not be able to access the gui anymore.

Set it up like I posted above, with all devices going to the duma, either wired or wireless.

And I turn off the WiFi on my duma and just run 2.4 and 5 on my netgear,that way the 2.4 doesn't conflict with both being on

Just to be clear, once you set up the netgear in AP mode, you only use the netgear wifi correct? Like you disable the modems wifi and the duma wifi?

Keep the selection that says get dynamically from existing router.

And yes turn off WiFi on other devices (modem if it is a combo device and the Netduma) so there will be no interference.

Keep the selection that says get dynamically from existing router.

And yes turn off WiFi on other devices (modem if it is a combo device and the Netduma) so there will be no interference.

my netgear router is upstairs so the devices downstairs can not connect to it. how can i fix this? Because right now they are connecting to the modem wifi.

• Netduma Staff

my netgear router is upstairs so the devices downstairs can not connect to it. how can i fix this? Because right now they are connecting to the modem wifi.

No devices should be connected to the modem if your setup is Modem > Netduma > Nighthawk. If devices are too far away from the Nighthawk to connect, you could buy WiFi extenders or powerline adapters and connect those to the Nighthawk or Netduma.

If any devices are connected to the Modem then the Congestion Control features won't work.