IPv6 keeps turning itself on

This is a bit of a weird one as I've never encountered anything like this before.

Basically I got a new modem recently, swapping out my ISP modem router combo for it, and I've noticed the thinkbroadband monitor I've been running to check the difference in line quality keeps "expiring" as my public IP keeps changing. Funny enough I never had this issue when a modem router + R1 setup gave me double NAT (as shown by the private WAN IP that would appear on the device manager tab on the R1, as well as the presence of TWO private IPs on PingPlotter tests; a public IP now shows up there instead), but now my WAN IP keeps changing.

Then today I noticed I went offline briefly (for all of about two seconds) and I didn't think anything of it until I noticed on my BQM that my IP had changed again. I went through my R1 settings step by step to see if anything was off and IPv6 was enabled in the WAN and LAN settings tabs. I know for a fact that they've been disabled since I got my new modem a few weeks ago right up until yesterday, when I accidentally opened the LAN page by fat thumbing a history page on my browser lol

I disabled it and went on as normal, but today I went into my WAN tab to disable PPPoE so I could access my modem GUI and when I scrolled down to enable the change IPv6 was re-enabled. I disabled again, but had to disable it yet again a while later. I rebooted the R1 after the third time of disabling, hoping it would force the change.

After rebooting I setup another BQM and my IP was reported as eight groups of four characters - an IPv6 address, and something I've never seen before in my 15 months on BT Infinity. However, as you'll see below, my R1 device manager tab still reports an IPv4 address. I'm not too bothered about how an IP address presents itself, but it appears to be tied to whatever is causing constant disconnections or reboots and I'd rather not end up interleaving because something in my setup is going nuts. For what it's worth, my modem isn't rebooting itself. I also never saw random IP changes (private WAN IP as shown on the R1) running through the BT Smart Hub either, yet my WAN IP now keeps changing constantly and nothing is actually rebooting. I just said that because if I reboot my Netduma I now get a new IP address and... well, I'm confused ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, uh... WTF is going on? LOL

Edit: disabled IPv6 and rebooted again, and the BQM site now reports an IPv4 address as seen in the third screenshot, as well as on the R1 device manager tab in the second screenshot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

post-9329-0-54990600-1514345461_thumb.jpg

post-9329-0-38862700-1514345467_thumb.jpg

post-9329-0-13181700-1514346450_thumb.jpg

I've allways had the same thing,if I reboot my netduma my IP also changes I think it's down to dynamic IP once my duma is rebooting and modem is not handing out an IP I think it like goes back into a random IP pool and hands you a new one thinking it's a new user,I could be totally wrong but I don't think it's much to worry about mate

I’ve not noticed IPv6 specifically, but my r1 has been swapping back to an older version of settings I’ve not used in a while. Also I’ve heard it beep a couple times over the last few weeks like it had rebooted itself without reason. Not sure why this happened and it’s been pretty few and far between so I figured no big deal. With any luck the duma os update will be sooner rather than later and it will remedy some of these odd issues lately.

I’ve not noticed IPv6 specifically, but my r1 has been swapping back to an older version of settings I’ve not used in a while. Also I’ve heard it beep a couple times over the last few weeks like it had rebooted itself without reason. Not sure why this happened and it’s been pretty few and far between so I figured no big deal. With any luck the duma os update will be sooner rather than later and it will remedy some of these odd issues lately.

Mine's started to reboot itself randomly too but its only happened twice with a few weeks inbetween so no biggie.

Mine's started to reboot itself randomly too but its only happened twice with a few weeks inbetween so no biggie.

Yea it’s about the same on my end so I just ignored it for now, seems a few people have said this. Duma guys any idea why this is the past month or so? Never noticed it before and it’s not a huge deal, just curious if they’re may be a reason you guys may be doing this remotely or just a glitch of some kind?

Hmm it's just weird because my connection cut out three or four times in a single day and that seems tied to whatever caused the Duma's IPv6 settings to enable. Weird :/ I just checked the WAN and LAN tabs and it's disabled still. The BQM hasn't gone off and my IP is the same ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also yeah, I've heard my Duma randomly reboot beep from time to time lately, when it never used to do so on its own. Any ideas why it's doing that?

I've heard my Duma randomly reboot beep from time to time lately, when it never used to do so on its own. Any ideas why it's doing that?

The random rebooting could either be caused by the Duma overheating (make sure it’s in a well ventilated area) or it could also be caused by a faulty power supply.

The random rebooting could either be caused by the Duma overheating (make sure it’s in a well ventilated area) or it could also be caused by a faulty power supply.

I don't think the power supply is an issue. Overheating seems plausible considering where I have it though, so I'll keep an eye on it!

Strange, I don't think mine has ever rebooted on it's own.

You lot all have 'Cookies' checked in 'Miscellaneous'? Those of you that are suffering from changing settings.

I got a new modem recently, swapping out my ISP modem router combo

Was it a BT Home Hub 5 that you swapped out?

I read that IPv6 was being (or had been) enabled for BT users but was being held up by the firmware in the Home Hub, meaning that if you swap out the HH for a third party modem/router then you would have IPv6 but if you left the HH in place then you would retain IPv4.

How accurate that is, I don't know.

Was it a BT Home Hub 5 that you swapped out?

I read that IPv6 was being (or had been) enabled for BT users but was being held up by the firmware in the Home Hub, meaning that if you swap out the HH for a third party modem/router then you would have IPv6 but if you left the HH in place then you would retain IPv4.

How accurate that is, I don't know.

Nah it was a Smart Hub (I guess it's classed as a Home Hub 6, basically the same thing since they're both modem/router combos). The modem settings showed that IPv6 was enabled and there was no disable button, yet curiously it told me the R1 wasn't IPv6 capable even if I enabled it on the R1. I don't think I ever saw an IPv6 address going through both either. First time I saw an address like that was just after IPv6 turned itself on in the R1 WAN and LAN tabs lol

I should add I recently changed my bandwidth numbers on the R1 as I can't access my modem GUI and check my sync speeds without disabling PPPoE on the R1 and leaving the rest of my devices without a connection, and I'm constantly checking to see whether my free speed boost has come through. I thought it would be a good idea to change my numbers on the R1 from 55/10 to 80/20 and run a speed test at 100% reactive to check, but there was no difference so I changed back to 55/10. I definitely clicked no to auto setup so there's no way that would have made a difference. Also deep packet processing and link local IPv6 didn't re-enable themselves as auto setup normally would using 55Mb down, so it certainly wasn't caused by accidentally clicking yes to auto setup. Anyway I rebooted my Duma today and IPv6 hasn't enabled itself again so all should be good.

Strange, I don't think mine has ever rebooted on it's own.

You lot all have 'Cookies' checked in 'Miscellaneous'? Those of you that are suffering from changing settings.

Yeah I've got cookies checked mate. Funny enough when IPv6 turned itself on none of my geofilter settings changed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can't access my modem GUI and check my sync speeds without disabling PPPoE on the R1 and leaving the rest of my devices without a connection, and I'm constantly checking to see whether my free speed boost has come through.

If you want to check your sync speed without leaving you devices without a connection go to http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com, run the first test then click ‘further diagnostics’ enter your phone number then ‘run diagnostic test’ once the test finishes it will show you your sync speed and the IP profile for your line.

If you want to check your sync speed without leaving you devices without a connection go to http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com, run the first test then click ‘further diagnostics’ enter your phone number then ‘run diagnostic test’ once the test finishes it will show you your sync speed and the IP profile for your line.

I completely forgot about that site. That's the link you can access through BT Hub GUIs right? Thanks, bookmarked ;)

I completely forgot about that site. That's the link you can access through BT Hub GUIs right? Thanks, bookmarked ;)

It’s been a while since I’ve used a BT Hub but I would imagine it’s the same link. Defiantly saves the hassle of disconnecting everything just to see your sync speed.

It’s been a while since I’ve used a BT Hub but I would imagine it’s the same link. Defiantly saves the hassle of disconnecting everything just to see your sync speed.

For sure.

Slightly off topic (related somewhat to my mentioning turning off PPPoE) but can you think of any reason why I can't get a wired connection through my modem only? I just tried hooking it up to my PS4 to see what it performs like alone but couldn't get online at all

For sure.

Slightly off topic (related somewhat to my mentioning turning off PPPoE) but can you think of any reason why I can't get a wired connection through my modem only? I just tried hooking it up to my PS4 to see what it performs like alone but couldn't get online at all it's been a while since I used something with bridge/modem mode but I could easily use my Virgin Media Superhub through modem mode only if I didn't need WiFi on.

I can't get a connection thru the Draytek neither, not that I've ever needed to anyways tbf.

For sure.

Slightly off topic (related somewhat to my mentioning turning off PPPoE) but can you think of any reason why I can't get a wired connection through my modem only? I just tried hooking it up to my PS4 to see what it performs like alone but couldn't get online at all it's been a while since I used something with bridge/modem mode but I could easily use my Virgin Media Superhub through modem mode only if I didn't need WiFi on.

I can't get a connection thru the Draytek neither, not that I've ever needed to anyways tbf.

I think you would have to put your PPPoE details into the Draytek to get a connection (I could be wrong though). I’m not even sure if there is the option to enter PPPoE details. I didn’t familiarise myself with the Draytek’s GUI when I had one.

I think you would have to put your PPPoE details into the Draytek to get a connection (I could be wrong though). I’m not even sure if there is the option to enter PPPoE details. I didn’t familiarise myself with the Draytek’s GUI when I had one.

I think there *might* be, not 100% sure though.

When I visit the set up page on my modem there are four options, including bridge and PPPoE. If I use PPPoE I still get a connection through the R1, but it ends up double NATting again with a private WAN IP. If I use bridge to treat it as a pure modem I don't need to put in my PPPoE details but I can only get a connection if I enable PPPoE on the R1.

It just seems weird that something acting as a modem doesn't give a direct wired connection seeing as that's exactly what the Superhub did in modem mode lol. Maybe I'm missing something...

Edit: I'm an idiot. Well, kinda... I've never needed to do this before lol. I didn't realise you have to put your PPPoE details in on the PS4 by selecting setup a connection, manual and then PPPoE :D