high ping with R1

when I hook my R1 my ping goes up 30ms.I check my ping on ping.net and thru my xbox and get the same result about 30ms higher.I have had my ISP out to check my lines and equipment and everything is good.I have made sure all of the cables are tight.running out of options.Please help!!

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Not to worry, we'll get to the bottom of it. First off, never run a test of that nature through a console - console tests are very inaccurate compared to tests wired to a PC. You need to find out your base ping, which is a ping reading that can only be changed by changing up your equipment or ISP line.

To find your base ping, wire your Netduma to a PC and run an Internet Diagnostics test. What do the results show? What is your average base ping shown there? Try switching your Ethernet wire and use a different port on the Netduma.

Also try running a PingPlotter test for 30 minutes pinging a site like Twitter.com.

so far no response from anyone so maybe not enough information.i have an asus rt-ac87u router that i hooked up and with a hard wire to my p.c. i get a 34ms ping.after i plug in the R1 and try the test i get a 57ms ping.i switch in back and i get a 34ms ping.my internet runs around 95-100 mbps down and about 12 mbps up.I have had my ISP replace every cable from the pole outside and inside my house and tried a different modem.let me know i can provide any more information that could possibly help.thank you.

• Netduma Staff

so far no response from anyone so maybe not enough information.i have an asus rt-ac87u router that i hooked up and with a hard wire to my p.c. i get a 34ms ping.after i plug in the R1 and try the test i get a 57ms ping.i switch in back and i get a 34ms ping.my internet runs around 95-100 mbps down and about 12 mbps up.I have had my ISP replace every cable from the pole outside and inside my house and tried a different modem.let me know i can provide any more information that could possibly help.thank you.

Do you have Internet access again? Did you change a setting which caused the Internet to drop out? A more accurate way of determining your base ping is to run an Internet Diagnostics test on the Netduma itself, or to run a Pingplotter test.

Try these settings: 

- 1000km Distance
- 0 Ping Assist
- Strict Mode On (Off if playing Destiny)
- 70% anti-flood
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN and Miscellaneous settings
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

• Netduma Staff

after i tried your settings i tried to reboot the R1 and the modem and now have internet but still get a ping 25ms higher than before?

Is this your base ping? Try switching out your Ethernet cable. I'd still ask that you run an Internet Diagnostics test on the Netduma - we need to know the state of your connection before the best solution can be determined. Let us know your Spikes, Jitter and Ping readings shown there.

• Netduma Staff

everything is good ping is good spikes and jitter are exceptional and no packet loss.I think you got me on the right track.thanks for your time.

That's great news, I'm glad your diagnostics show you have a brilliant connection. Your Base Ping will not be increasing by 25ms, rather this will be your ping to the game. If you need advice setting up the Geo-Filter to get lower-ping games let us know, though please feel free to experiment with the settings.

(That being said, don't go into pages like LAN settings and start fiddling - none of that will improve your gameplay, and can end up causing a lot of problems).

I guess I found that out.The only the I have been playing with now is the geo filter and the sliders.It seems to improve some games but I noticed alot of the problem seems to be with other players connections.You get one person in a room with a crappy connection and it seems to ruin it for everyone else.I just back out of that room and go into another.As for some of the other issues as shoot first die first just seems to be the game.When you watch the kill cam in cod ww2 they see me before i see them.Not much I can do about that.Thanks again for helping get up and running.

• Netduma Staff

I guess I found that out.The only the I have been playing with now is the geo filter and the sliders.It seems to improve some games but I noticed alot of the problem seems to be with other players connections.You get one person in a room with a crappy connection and it seems to ruin it for everyone else.I just back out of that room and go into another.As for some of the other issues as shoot first die first just seems to be the game.When you watch the kill cam in cod ww2 they see me before i see them.Not much I can do about that.Thanks again for helping get up and running.

Yeah WWII has a few more patches to go before it'll be fully stable. The previous CoD titles play brilliantly with the Netduma, but around launch time they didn't play well at all. I'm hopeful that WWII will play pretty well soon :) please let us know if you have any more issues or questions in another thread. I'll now close this one.