Preemptive or Reactive for 85mb downoad; 35mp upload?

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for advice for the anti-flood algorithm. I have a fiber connection with 85 down and 35 upload. Should I be using preemptive or reactive? Also do I have turbo on or off? in miscellaneous? Thanks for any tips.

I mainly play fortnite on PS4. However somehow I feel like I am unable to kill anyone everytime I play reactive algorithm. 

Can anyone kindly explain in detail the difference between the two. A detailed nerdy explanation is also preferred if possible. If you can go into the algorithm side of things.

I’m sure someone with a bit more knowledge can get into the alogorithim itself, but I have a similar 100/20 fiber line and while they say 100 or above go reactive, that rarely plays as well for me so I use preemptive most times. It depends on location and what gives you the best results testing wise on dslreports or similar sites though. Really comes down to trial and error, but I’d start with preemptive then adjust your sliders to get the best connection according to tests. Turbo I normally tick, simply cause my line is 100+, but I’ve never noticed much difference either way.

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for advice for the anti-flood algorithm. I have a fiber connection with 85 down and 35 upload. Should I be using preemptive or reactive? Also do I have turbo on or off? in miscellaneous? Thanks for any tips.

I mainly play fortnite on PS4. However somehow I feel like I am unable to kill anyone everytime I play reactive algorithm. 

Can anyone kindly explain in detail the difference between the two. A detailed nerdy explanation is also preferred if possible. If you can go into the algorithm side of things.

From a purely speed point of view, then you should use reactive as you may not get your full 85mbps using preemptive. You don’t need turbo mode.

Preemptive was built from the ground up by Iain and is patented by Netduma. It works more aggressively to handle bufferbloat than the reactive algorithm (this is why you don’t get full speeds with more than 60Mbps). The reactive algorithm uses FQ_Codel.

With the algorithms it’s about finding what one works best for you while gaming. I have been on 80/20 fibre and now I’m on 8/0.8 ADSL and I find reactive works best on both for me. Many others find preemptive works best. Experiment with them and see what works for you.

If preemptive works best while gaming for you then you can always switch back to reactive after you finish gaming if preemptive lowers your speed too much.

• Netduma Staff

Hi all,

Pollutionblues is absolutely right above ^.

We generally recommend Reactive for any speeds over 60mbps for the reasons stated. Let us know which one works best for you! :)

• 4 years later...