Simjc

simjc

Helloooooo Sim here,

Yes I couldn't resist. Well I thought I'd post an intro, having read others here. I'm in my 40's not like any of you had not already worked that one out from my youtube channel. ;)

I've been interested in the world of technology and computers all my life, but I only got my first computer in my late teens being a BBC Master, remembering the days of Chuckie Egg, Joust and various others. Before I moved on to PCs, or IBM clones as they were known back then with the 286 processor. So back then I mainly gamed single player games, and wasn't into RPGs. Went to UNI where I played some XWing (I wish they would bring back a proper sci-fi flying shooter from inside cockpit, I miss those games); and then gaming got dropped.

Then came the PS3, and I purchased my first console, and got introduced to online gaming. I didn't take it too seriously back then. Picked up BlOps1 having finished someother terrible game, and traded it within days, and I became more hooked to COD. MW3 was when things started getting serious for me, and only then did I start to become aware of lag comp. Something that became very evident in BlOps2, and which I created a few vids on which became very popular. A subscriber brought to my attention the Netduma R1, looked at it, saw the geofilter, and went "Wow! Gotta get me one of those." Not regretted it since.

So I am fairly technically minded, i.e. I've designed and written my own software, for very complex systems. Computer networking though, is just one of those areas that I just know enough. Iain and others on this forum out trump me on the technical details of networking. I no longer write software (I do miss it), but now do the engineering from a higher level.

Hobbies, apart from gaming. I do enjoy photography. Hopefully I will still be able to do that as life recently threw me a curve ball, as the Americans would say. Things are looking positive though, which is good news for me.

Right, well I think I will stop there. Otherwise I'll end up writing an essay.

Sim

• Administrators

Hey Sim

I thought you were in your 20s mate haha! Also very interesting bio, always cool to hear peoples story. I loved my 386 back in the day :D Also what type of engineering do you do if you don't mind me asking? 

Helloooooo Sim here,

Yes I couldn't resist. Well I thought I'd post an intro, having read others here. I'm in my 40's not like any of you had not already worked that one out from my youtube channel. ;)

I've been interested in the world of technology and computers all my life, but I only got my first computer in my late teens being a BBC Master, remembering the days of Chuckie Egg, Joust and various others. Before I moved on to PCs, or IBM clones as they were known back then with the 286 processor. So back then I mainly gamed single player games, and wasn't into RPGs. Went to UNI where I played some XWing (I wish they would bring back a proper sci-fi flying shooter from inside cockpit, I miss those games); and then gaming got dropped.

Then came the PS3, and I purchased my first console, and got introduced to online gaming. I didn't take it too seriously back then. Picked up BlOps1 having finished someother terrible game, and traded it within days, and I became more hooked to COD. MW3 was when things started getting serious for me, and only then did I start to become aware of lag comp. Something that became very evident in BlOps2, and which I created a few vids on which became very popular. A subscriber brought to my attention the Netduma R1, looked at it, saw the geofilter, and went "Wow! Gotta get me one of those." Not regretted it since.

So I am fairly technically minded, i.e. I've designed and written my own software, for very complex systems. Computer networking though, is just one of those areas that I just know enough. Iain and others on this forum out trump me on the technical details of networking. I no longer write software (I do miss it), but now do the engineering from a higher level.

Hobbies, apart from gaming. I do enjoy photography. Hopefully I will still be able to do that as life recently threw me a curve ball, as the Americans would say. Things are looking positive though, which is good news for me.

Right, well I think I will stop there. Otherwise I'll end up writing an essay.

Sim

Glad your feeling better m8 and hopefully start with some more interesting video's :), as soon as your name appears in my YT feed i cant wait to watch it. 

Hi Sim and welcome back, although you were here well before me, but you know what I mean

And I have to thank you for introducing me to the Netduma, via one of your YT vids

So Thank you :)

Hi Sim and welcome back, although you were here well before me, but you know what I mean

And I have to thank you for introducing me to the Netduma, via one of your YT vids

So Thank you :)

Hey Sim

I thought you were in your 20s mate haha! Also very interesting bio, always cool to hear peoples story. I loved my 386 back in the day :D Also what type of engineering do you do if you don't mind me asking? 

Yeh my first PC was an IBM XT, think we got ripped off at the time. Then got myself a 386DX, cost me about £1,100 back in the day with a whopping 1MB SVGA card; 40MB hard drive, 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, and originally 1Mb of ram which needed to go to 2Mb to run Win3.1 properly. Oh yes, and it ran on top of DR DOS. It was much better than MS or PC DOS.

System engineering now.

Me too. 1GB SCSI in my 486. It made it fly and people thought I had a more powerful CPU. Ran DR DOS & Windows and OS/2 and Linux all on that 1GB. Multiboot. Oh those were the days.

• Administrators

System engineer awesome. My interests are networking, systems & algorithms.

I've (for Netduma) actually written a full UNIX derivative OS used for routing that includes full TCP/IP network stack (with connection tracking & NAT) with some cool other additions. That has full blown user-space & can handle http requests. Has signals, syscalls, multiple processes, threads, pipes, & I believe its pre-emptive on top of that. Also has bunch of drivers for it to be fully functional :) 

Its not used in the R1 as it hasn't been tested enough and therefore could be a serious security risk :( 

I've (for Netduma) actually written a full UNIX derivative OS used for routing that includes full TCP/IP network stack (with connection tracking & NAT) with some cool other additions. That has full blown user-space & can handle http requests. Has signals, syscalls, multiple processes, threads, pipes, & I believe its pre-emptive on top of that. Also has bunch of drivers for it to be fully functional :) 

Its not used in the R1 as it hasn't been tested enough and therefore could be a serious security risk :(

I've said it before and I'll say it again. That is maximum boss :)

My dictionary has given up!

Can you guys keep is simple for us lesser mortals

That sounds so cool, doing your own OS. Totally understand though from the security risk perspective why you cannot use it. Bummer but right choice.

That sounds so cool, doing your own OS. Totally understand though from the security risk perspective why you cannot use it. Bummer but right choice.

Archived