why Host ID not IP

• 2 weeks later...

because of the reason you were asking why it would be IP instead of ID

Right. Because it makes absolute sense to temporarily transform my laptop to a wire shark device just to get the ip of a gaming service I use when I am in contact with their support guys for example. If you are willing to perform DDoS attacks it wouldn’t stop you setimg up a laptop with wire shark and obtain the IP. However for me that I have paid for a premium networking product this limitation is irritating to say the least.

To prevent malicious use.

Absolutely unacceptable design decision from an advanced networking device. Same goes for VPN functionality, it can be used maliciously. Let’s strip that away too...

Can we at least block specific IP addresses instead of this useless internal identifier? Apparently due to an internet provider performance issues I have a problem in a specific gaming service and I need to block a set of specific IP addresses. How can I achieve that?

• Administrators

Absolutely unacceptable design decision from an advanced networking device. Same goes for VPN functionality, it can be used maliciously. Let’s strip that away too...

Can we at least block specific IP addresses instead of this useless internal identifier? Apparently due to an internet provider performance issues I have a problem in a specific gaming service and I need to block a set of specific IP addresses. How can I achieve that?

The router is for helping people get the best connection possible. Being able to see other players IPs is not needed for that. Just like you said if anyone really wanted to find out then they could, doesn't mean we want to make it easy for them. VPN was requested due to players being DDoSed so it has specific benefits for gamers.

No you can't, perhaps in DumaOS we may include a way to do this.

Right. Because it makes absolute sense to temporarily transform my laptop to a wire shark device just to get the ip of a gaming service I use when I am in contact with their support guys for example. If you are willing to perform DDoS attacks it wouldn’t stop you setimg up a laptop with wire shark and obtain the IP. However for me that I have paid for a premium networking product this limitation is irritating to say the least.

Sucks to be you I guess.  You're too advanced for me.  I guess you'll have to transform your laptop into Voltron or whatever so you can get the information you need...  shouldn't be to tough for a leet like you.  I never saw any advertising on the R1 that indicated it had the capabilities you wished it had.

• 7 months later...

Sucks to be you I guess.  You're too advanced for me.  

It seems that way. Perhaps thats why your reply is full of unnecessary sarcasm. 

I guess you'll have to transform your laptop into Voltron or whatever so you can get the information you need

That's what I am doing yes. Setting up Wireshark and sharing the laptop's Internet connection to my console. 

shouldn't be to tough for a leet like you. 

It's not a hard task, so I really don't understand why you are being so salty to a point that your behaviour becomes rude. 

I never saw any advertising on the R1 that indicated it had the capabilities you wished it had.

Really? You didn't? You must have a look on the R1 homepage then because features like Deny& Allow imply exactly that.