Need some routing tips!

Hey Duma Fam!

Just wondering if I'm better off running the entire house's WiFi devices through the Duma or my ISP's modem/router. 

I currently just have the ISP's modem/router first with all the homes devices using it's WiFi and then just my PC and Console through the Duma (which is just plugged into ISP router, not bridged)

Wall Socket>ISP Modem/Router>Ethernet to Duma>Ethernet to Console/PC

v

Other Devices In Home Via WiFi

Would I be better off leaving it as is but turning the WiFi off on the ISP router and just using that as an access point to the net and then running everything WiFi and Ethernet related off the Duma? Would this in turn improve quality of gaming connection or not really?

Cheers! 

I agree with what IIRL stated.  In order to get the most out of the R1 make sure all devices are connected behind the R1 albeit wired or wireless.  The R1 only supports 2.4Ghz wireless so if you require 5Ghz you may have to install a wifi-extender or use an older router as a access point connected behind the R1.  It is not to complicated to setup. 

Now I will say this as a side note. The only reason you probably would not want congestion control is if you have speeds in the gigabit range which I do not but some do.  And they may be able to speak more on this and whether if they use congestion control and if it makes that much of a difference to use or not to use.  Hope this helps. 

Yeah absolutely, everything should go through the R1. If there are devices using the ISP router you're not gonna get any benefit from congestion control. It'd probably be worse than playing on a congested network purely through the ISP router lol :)

Have to use the ISP Router for VoIP :( Telstra don't allow you to use anything but their modems on FTTN if you want VoIP >:(

Found out the hard way when I went and bought a $600 Nighthawk lol 

Yep recommend what the others have said. Allowing the Netduma to control everything is the best scenario.

I agree with what IIRL stated.  In order to get the most out of the R1 make sure all devices are connected behind the R1 albeit wired or wireless.  The R1 only supports 2.4Ghz wireless so if you require 5Ghz you may have to install a wifi-extender or use an older router as a access point connected behind the R1.  It is not to complicated to setup. 

Now I will say this as a side note. The only reason you probably would not want congestion control is if you have speeds in the gigabit range which I do not but some do.  And they may be able to speak more on this and whether if they use congestion control and if it makes that much of a difference to use or not to use.  Hope this helps. 

Yeah absolutely, everything should go through the R1. If there are devices using the ISP router you're not gonna get any benefit from congestion control. It'd probably be worse than playing on a congested network purely through the ISP router lol :)

Cheers Lads!! Will switch everything over asap :)

Yep recommend what the others have said. Allowing the Netduma to control everything is the best scenario.

Hey mate do you have any tips on how to set the distribution? I now have 8 devices connected, is it best to just leave them equal and share excess? Or give more bandwidth to my pc and console for gaming?

Cheers! :) 

Hey mate do you have any tips on how to set the distribution? I now have 8 devices connected, is it best to just leave them equal and share excess? Or give more bandwidth to my pc and console for gaming?

I always just leave mine equal.

Equal with share excess does the trick. If your PC or PS4 need to pull more than what's set at the time, it'll adjust automatically