Am I doing something daft? P2P connection not working

Played lot of FIFA in FUT champs which is dedicated servers but now I am trying to play friends or normal seasons which is P2P and it wont match make. 

I have changed settings to max ping and filter on distance etc even closed the host filtering but it wont match make. Am I doing something daft as dedicated server connection is fine.

I can join in Destiny 2 fine its just FIFA P2P I cant join for some reason

Shows a lot of people but not connecting, did it other day and ignored it but still doing it now. 

https://imgur.com/a/dkF4g

Put old router back and it works fine, not ideal though as will mess up DLM but had to play it

• Administrators

That doesn't look like a screenshot from searching in FIFA, can you confirm either way?

Disable the Geo-filter does that fix it? If not then it's not the router. It might then be a case of NAT - that you need to open it or your upstream modem/router is filtering incoming traffic too heavily. Both can be solved if you put your ISP hub in modem mode or the R1's WAN IP in it's DMZ.

Yeah that was from FIFA it kept popping up different people to connect to but wouldn't actually connect. Tried it earlier and it worked then stopped again see below.

https://imgur.com/a/dkF4g

I then did a soft reset on the router and it worked, so maybe something gets stuck and I have to reset it every time?

Came back today and it did the same thing, would not match make on FIFA seasons which is P2P. I did a soft reset under misc option and it started working again. Its a work around but don't want to be doing that all the time, any idea?

• Netduma Staff

Hmm, perhaps this is a NAT issue? If there is a way to check your NAT in Fifa, check if it's open. Try enabling UPnP as well. Keep the Geo-Filter disabled while you test it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Netduma Staff

Still cant get this to work without soft reset of router, what am I doing wrong as its very annoying when kids watching online film 

Oh, sorry! I think me and Fraser read this as 'soft reset fixed it' without realising it was only temporary.

Could you talk us through your network setup? Is it Modem > Netduma > All devices, or is there a second router in there? Also, are you playing on an Xbox?

An old fix for similar matchmaking issues on Xbox was to clear your alternative MAC address on the Xbox. Go to Advanced Network Settings > Alternative MAC address > clear.

Aside from that, try manually port forwarding for Fifa instead. Disable the Geo-Filter and UPnP, then go to Settings > Port Forwarding and open the ports found here: https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/fifa/fifa-18/online-ports-for-fifa-18/. Then, reboot the Netduma via Settings > Miscellaneous.

I am using a BT Open Reach modem HG612 then Netduma and thats it. I was using a Talk Talk Super Router before this and that worked fine for both modes (P2P and Dedicated), this is XBOX one. 

Port forwarding was done already although one port was missing from that list so added it, made no difference still didint work. I cleared the MAC address and xbox rebooted and then match making worked but isn't this the same as Soft reset in Misc on the router, so unlikely to fix long term? Its better as dont have to turn router off this way but still not great. Will see if its a longer term fix or temporary like the reset. 

Why would I disable Geo-filter and just use Port Forward? If I am going to do that I can get rid of the NetDuma and just use my Talk Talk Router, or am I missing something?

Why would I disable Geo-filter and just use Port Forward? If I am going to do that I can get rid of the NetDuma and just use my Talk Talk Router, or am I missing something?

Disable Geo before setting up the port-forwards. Enable it when you are going to play Fifa.

The TalkTalk hub is not comparable. I have one, unplugged and in a cupboard. They cause all kinds of errors and they regularly fall over and restart, which puts interleaving on your line (increasing your ping). The hubs cause spikes when there is no activity on your line and they have no congestion control or QoS of any kind.

• Netduma Staff

I am using a BT Open Reach modem HG612 then Netduma and thats it. I was using a Talk Talk Super Router before this and that worked fine for both modes (P2P and Dedicated), this is XBOX one. 

Port forwarding was done already although one port was missing from that list so added it, made no difference still didint work. I cleared the MAC address and xbox rebooted and then match making worked but isn't this the same as Soft reset in Misc on the router, so unlikely to fix long term? Its better as dont have to turn router off this way but still not great. Will see if its a longer term fix or temporary like the reset. 

I only asked you to disable the Geo-Filter temporarily - if you manage to get an open NAT with the Geo-Filter disabled then it's likely to stay that way with it enabled, just wanted to rule it out as the cause.

So now if you enable the Geo-Filter you are able to connect and have an open NAT? Please let us know if the issues happen again, though this is the most widely reported 'fix' for the issue out there so it could be permanent.

Disable Geo before setting up the port-forwards. Enable it when you are going to play Fifa.

The TalkTalk hub is not comparable. I have one, unplugged and in a cupboard. They cause all kinds of errors and they regularly fall over and restart, which puts interleaving on your line (increasing your ping). The hubs cause spikes when there is no activity on your line and they have no congestion control or QoS of any kind.

Didnt have any of that with mine it worked fine but wanted this Netduma to filter rubbish servers out.

I only asked you to disable the Geo-Filter temporarily - if you manage to get an open NAT with the Geo-Filter disabled then it's likely to stay that way with it enabled, just wanted to rule it out as the cause.

So now if you enable the Geo-Filter you are able to connect and have an open NAT? Please let us know if the issues happen again, though this is the most widely reported 'fix' for the issue out there so it could be permanent.

I always have a open NAT anyway even when the problem is present which makes it even more weird that it wont connect until I reset it.

Times like today this makes the netduma not worth it I needed to do online P2P quickly spent 15 mins trying to sort connection but wouldn't find a match then just gave up and plugged talk talk router back in worked first time and connection was fine.

Is Netduma 28 days return policy? I am getting close to that and its not working out so well

• Administrators

Check your upstream routers firewall settings, if it is too strict it may be preventing the R1 from allowing connections properly. If the R1 is in it's DMZ and EVERYTHING is connected to the R1 then you can disable the upstream routers WiFi and disable it's firewall setting as the R1 as one built in. Try that and see if it's improved. Can see returns policy here: 

https://netduma.com/terms/

I am not using a router as I put above, I am using a BT Open Reach modem HG612 then everything is connected to the R1. As I said TalkTalk router works fine and R1 works if you soft reset it a few times or reset the mac address on the device but then next time you use it you need to do it again. Its P2P connection only dedicated server is fine

As for the returns part then as I logged this as faulty (three weeks ago) thats covered. Is there anything to resolve this or is it just the Netduma thats faulty hence I will return it. 

PPPoE? No I am in a detached house.

Will a replacement help as seems others have the same/similar issue with the P2P type game mode, Netduma seems to struggle with it so more likely the software isnt compatible with FIFA (see one example below). I really want this to work as I think its a great idea but not really getting it to work, P2P need resetting several times and Dedicated server locations all show West Coast America which isnt right as we know (15ms ping)

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23027-cant-find-opponents-on-fifa-18-fut-seasons/

PPPoE? No I am in a detached house.

Do you have your broadband username & password entered in WAN > PPPoE on the Duma? Some ISPs such as BT require PPPoE for you to connect to the internet. It depends on people’s setups if they are using the Duma to do PPPoE or not.

• Netduma Staff

Ok thanks, I am back now from holidays so if we could arrange a time that would be great

If you make a post in the 1 on 1 section (http://forum.netduma.com/forum/66-request-1-on-1/) stating the dates and times you're available, as well as providing a link to this thread, we will book you in for some time next week or the week after :)

• 4 weeks later...