Anyone seen this TP Link model before?

RL317

I can't even remember how I came across this, but I remember clicking on a link for a review because I read "modem" in the title and I thought TP Link only did routers. This thing is a two in one?

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html

I was wondering if any of you have one or have used it before. I won't need the QoS on it, but I was attracted to the price tag and the fact it can be used as a modem only! I'm on BT and can't do that with my Smart Hub, which is probably the only thing I miss about my Virgin Media Not So Superhub haha

This thing is cheap as chips for what you get at £33 too, and it supports all line types. It only works as a modem only for xDSL (including VDSL2, if that matters) as far as I know, but that works for me.

Anyone think it would give me better performance than running my R1 alongside an ISP default two in one modem and router? Or would it be a waste of money getting it for modem only mode alone, assuming others out there do it better if at all?

I can't even remember how I came across this, but I remember clicking on a link for a review because I read "modem" in the title and I thought TP Link only did routers. This thing is a two in one?

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html

I was wondering if any of you have one or have used it before. I won't need the QoS on it, but I was attracted to the price tag and the fact it can be used as a modem only! I'm on BT and can't do that with my Smart Hub, which is probably the only thing I miss about my Virgin Media Not So Superhub haha

This thing is cheap as chips for what you get at £33 too, and it supports all line types. It only works as a modem only for xDSL (including VDSL2, if that matters) as far as I know, but that works for me.

Anyone think it would give me better performance than running my R1 alongside an ISP default two in one modem and router? Or would it be a waste of money getting it for modem only mode alone, assuming others out there do it better if at all?

If it's anything like the TP Link cable modem I'm using I'd say go for it. I never had a problem with TP-Link.

Reviews on Amazon say it works well as a modem, but the wifi isn't good. Sounds like that doesn't matter to you.

Surely there must be a modem only dsl modem you can use though?

If it's anything like the TP Link cable modem I'm using I'd say go for it. I never had a problem with TP-Link.

Reviews on Amazon say it works well as a modem, but the wifi isn't good. Sounds like that doesn't matter to you.

Surely there must be a modem only dsl modem you can use though?

Thanks for the feedback. I've only ever really heard of people using the standalone Openreach VDSL modem for BT Infinity but apparently you need to be lucky to find one on eBay and they're expensive. I wasn't sure if this sounded too good to be true, especially as I didn't even know that TP Link made modems too, but it says it's a VDSL2 modem and I've been through a guide that confirms it can run as a modem only so who knows?

I mostly posted here because I was under the impression that a VDSL modem had to have a certain spec to suit BT Infinity or something. I've heard people refer to specific chipsets etc. so I was concerned that I'd buy it thinking it was a one size fits all deal only to find out it wouldn't give me a connection when it arrives lol

Of course the R1 will be handling the WiFi, but I don't really use that anyway. That covers the other devices while I game on LAN with congestion control ;)

Interesting how this TP Link can handle DSL, cable and all fibre variants from FTTN right up to FTTH.

Thanks for the feedback. I've only ever really heard of people using the standalone Openreach VDSL modem for BT Infinity but apparently you need to be lucky to find one on eBay and they're expensive. I wasn't sure if this sounded too good to be true, especially as I didn't even know that TP Link made modems too, but it says it's a VDSL2 modem and I've been through a guide that confirms it can run as a modem only so who knows?

I mostly posted here because I was under the impression that a VDSL modem had to have a certain spec to suit BT Infinity or something. I've heard people refer to specific chipsets etc. so I was concerned that I'd buy it thinking it was a one size fits all deal only to find out it wouldn't give me a connection when it arrives lol

Of course the R1 will be handling the WiFi, but I don't really use that anyway. That covers the other devices while I game on LAN with congestion control ;)

Interesting how this TP Link can handle DSL, cable and all fibre variants from FTTN right up to FTTH.

I'm far from a expert when it comes to DSL so maybe double check it's compatibility. I'd say order from Amazon if possible so you can return it without a hassle.

My TP-Link modem is the best cable modem I've tested and it's $35... Compared to other ones that are hundreds of dollars. 

I'm far from a expert when it comes to DSL so maybe double check it's compatibility. I'd say order from Amazon if possible so you can return it without a hassle.

My TP-Link modem is the best cable modem I've tested and it's $35... Compared to other ones that are hundreds of dollars.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna do some research being the paranoid perfectionist that I am :P I know people here have used standalone modems, and others have recommended some, so I'm gonna go browse through relevant old threads and see if I can find a definitive answer.

I've only ever really heard of people using the standalone Openreach VDSL modem for BT Infinity but apparently you need to be lucky to find one on eBay and they're expensive.

The standalone modems are about £30 I think

Yeah I'm definitely gonna do some research being the paranoid perfectionist that I am :P I know people here have used standalone modems, and others have recommended some, so I'm gonna go browse through relevant old threads and see if I can find a definitive answer.

If you are on an ECI cabinet go for the Draytek Vigor 130, I have used it in the past when I was on FTTC and it worked perfectly.

If you are on a Huawei cabinet go for an HG162 Openreach Modem, there’s plenty on eBay, as Boom said they are about £30.

If you are on an ECI cabinet go for the Draytek Vigor 130, I have used it in the past when I was on FTTC and it worked perfectly.

If you are on a Huawei cabinet go for an HG162 Openreach Modem, there’s plenty on eBay, as Boom said they are about £30.

Oh so you do need one to match your connection kinda? Any idea how I go about finding out which of those cabinets I'm on?

This is what I've been using for the last 7 months. Lowered my ping a little and IW runs alot better on it than the BT HH.

So does choosing a Draytek Vigor 130 or Huawei HG612 depend on the cabinet while something like the TP Link W range of modem/routers can be used with any cab? Most of the support threads I've read on the BT site etc say as long as it supports VDSL, it'll work just fine. No mention of needing to match it to the cab.

I only ask because this thing is cheap while I just found the Vigor 130 going for over 80 quid LOL. I'd rather get something to "future proof" any potential house moves where I might end up with a different cab. Cheers!

The TP-Link TDW9970 uses a Broadcom chipset BCM 63381 so would pair with a Hauwei cabinet which also uses Broadcom.

For stability and lowest jitter match chipset.

Ahh yeah I just found that in someone's post about it on the BT forum. Unfortunately I can't identify my cabinet as it looks nothing like those three ECI and Huawei models

post-9329-0-14389000-1511785440_thumb.jpg

Awesome! I know there are different variants of the Huawei cab but it doesn't seem like it matters as long as it's Huawei. Time to shop ;)

Personally i would purchase a dedicated modem not an all in one. Cant go wrong with the BT openreach modems they are solid. If its Huawei you need get the HG612 (3B version), plenty on Ebay.

Personally i would purchase a dedicated modem not an all in one. Cant go wrong with the BT openreach modems they are solid. If its Huawei you need get the HG612 (3B version), plenty on Ebay.

Same, if you ever need to reboot the router part of a combi you are stuck rebooting the modem too.

On fibre always wait over 20 mins between boots of a modem so the DLM see's it as a shut down and not a line error.

I have the HG612 3B and would not dream of using anything else at the moment.

Yeah I might just get one of those now. I saw the cost of the Draytek for ECI cabs and assumed it would be around the same until I looked it up lol. Apparently there's a brand new one going for £30 so that doesn't seem too bad.

Am I right in thinking these dedicated modems generally offer better performance over the Smart Hub?

Yeah I might just get one of those now. I saw the cost of the Draytek for ECI cabs and assumed it would be around the same until I looked it up lol. Apparently there's a brand new one going for £30 so that doesn't seem too bad.

Am I right in thinking these dedicated modems generally offer better performance over the Smart Hub?

They offer far better performance over any BT hub from my experience.

I've never had a modem standalone modem, as I just put my Superhub in modem mode when I was with VM...

Potentially silly question but do modems have a GUI like routers? Can you check sync stats and what not? I'm getting a bandwidth boost soon so it'd be nice to check when that comes through, but I'd also like to make sure I'm back online with no issues when I first plug the modem in in place of the Smart Hub :)

I've never had a modem standalone modem, as I just put my Superhub in modem mode when I was with VM...

Potentially silly question but do modems have a GUI like routers? Can you check sync stats and what not? I'm getting a bandwidth boost soon so it'd be nice to check when that comes through, but I'd also like to make sure I'm back online with no issues when I first plug the modem in in place of the Smart Hub :)

You would need to custom flash or buy a pre flashed HG612 with the latest G.inp capable firmware B030SP08 to view its stats.

The HG612 is known to give the wrong stats anyhow so many use DSLstats and other programs to monitor it.