WW2 Ping seems too high

Hi,

I'm playing cod ww2 on dedicate due to my location and when I ping the server it is showing alot of ping which I do not usually have.

Most of the time over 900ms. I noticed that this happens only when the geofilter is enabled because while it is disabled the ping is normal. Any idea why this is happening? Geofilter is supposed to reduce lag not increase it. Also with the filtering on it is not finding any lobbies.

Hi there,

This is a screenshot of the occurence:

8cc405d5fe65eb01e879caa2d39138ab.png
https://gyazo.com/8cc405d5fe65eb01e879caa2d39138ab

I noticed that this problem occurs only when geofilter is active, also when geofilter is active I can find lobbies in ww2 only when I am solo otherwise when I have friends in the party I am not able to find a lobby and due to my location strict mode is always off thus it should be able to connect to dedicated servers just fine. Connection is also open.

Did a factory reset just yesterday to test out but it did not work

Edit: Not finding lobbies even solo with filtering on.Had to turn it off.  

I tried some tests using the Gui interface and noticed that when tracing the route there are nodes from the united states which I believe could be the cause

https://gyazo.com/029bcac93425291f4b93ad86e36c59a2

• Netduma Staff

Hi there,

I noticed that this problem occurs only when geofilter is active, also when geofilter is active I can find lobbies in ww2 only when I am solo otherwise when I have friends in the party I am not able to find a lobby and due to my location strict mode is always off thus it should be able to connect to dedicated servers just fine. Connection is also open.

Did a factory reset just yesterday to test out but it did not work

Edit: Not finding lobbies even solo with filtering on.Had to turn it off.  

I tried some tests using the Gui interface and noticed that when tracing the route there are nodes from the united states which I believe could be the cause

Hi, welcome to the forum! Your high ping issue (900ms+) is a known graphical error with the Netduma interface. It can be caused by using less well-optimised browsers, different themes, or older firmware versions. Please let us know which version you are on, and ensure you are using Google Chrome or Firefox on the default Netduma theme.

CoD WWII has known issues with the servers and matchmaking setup - issues that are not unique to Netduma users. If you disable the Geo-filter, what ping do you usually get in-game? Try setting your Ping Assist to 60ms and turn off Strict Mode. The issue in this case is the Netduma being too strict whilst the game tries to connect you far away on higher ping servers. Unfortunately, until the CoD servers are fixed, you will need to relax the Geo-filter settings.

If you still can't connect to games after relaxing the settings, can you see anything on the Geo-filter map that appears blocked when you try to connect? Do you have an open NAT? If you see blocked servers and can't connect, please let us know the ID's of those servers here.

So yesterday I tried some tweaks to try and adjust this, first thing I tried was to assign my public ip to the netduma router(It is an equivalent to dmz on my isp router) which for some reason does a factory reset when it reboots or after some time causing a loss of all settings then I ruled out that possibility and tried to connect with pppoe connection directly from the duma, as my isp router is a technicolor which is restricted in some ways; though the connection speed seemed to drop tremendously and I couldn't use this solution as I was wasting alot of bandwith. 

The final thing I tried was to port forward the duma from my isp router and also enable upnp and I believe that after the factory resets in step 1 it might have come to a solution as last night I was able to play very well with connections of 40ms to Germany and Italy.

Still will run some more test tonight to see how it holds up and I will repost my findings.

Just some Questions  :D :

Is there a way to improve the speeds on pppoe cause I read in some forums that it may be capped?

Is it a know bug that the duma factory restarts and fails to load misc page when assigned a public ip or is it just my duma?

Thanks for all the responses

I really appreciate the support and feedback from the duma community and the duma team.

And best of all great product keep up the good work  :)

Hi, welcome to the forum! Your high ping issue (900ms+) is a known graphical error with the Netduma interface. It can be caused by using less well-optimised browsers, different themes, or older firmware versions. Please let us know which version you are on, and ensure you are using Google Chrome or Firefox on the default Netduma theme.

CoD WWII has known issues with the servers and matchmaking setup - issues that are not unique to Netduma users. If you disable the Geo-filter, what ping do you usually get in-game? Try setting your Ping Assist to 60ms and turn off Strict Mode. The issue in this case is the Netduma being too strict whilst the game tries to connect you far away on higher ping servers. Unfortunately, until the CoD servers are fixed, you will need to relax the Geo-filter settings.

If you still can't connect to games after relaxing the settings, can you see anything on the Geo-filter map that appears blocked when you try to connect? Do you have an open NAT? If you see blocked servers and can't connect, please let us know the ID's of those servers here.

The browser I use is Google Chrome 

Duma theme: Default

Nat: Open in game and type 2 in ps4 settings

No servers where marked as locked and strict mode is always off for me as when I enable it, I could not even connect in the game for some reason.

Ping assist at the moment is 35ms and as I mentioned in my latest post it worked fine last night. I think the issue as you mentioned was a graphical error which prevented the use of host filtering as of last night after a couple of factory resets, the issue seemed to disappear though I will confirm after having tested it out more in detail

When you mentioned the ww2 servers I believe that this was not a server blame as when I switched the host filtering off, it worked perfectly fine though some lobbies where a bit laggy(not unplayable) that is why I believe that this could be some sort off bug not the actual servers.Also with the filtering on I could not find a game lobby with friends but when a friend hosts it worked just fine apart from the ping marking 900ms+ even though the lobby was not lagging.

Version:

R1 debug version 1.03.6h running on rb-951g-2hnd .

• Netduma Staff

That's great to hear a factory reset has solved the issue - let us know if it returns. In answer to your questions, PPPoE shouldn't be capping your speeds at all - you will receive the speeds you pay for, PPPoE shouldn't affect this. If you find that you have unusually low speeds, let us know and we'll work on solving it.

Do you still get the 'failed to load Miscellaneous settings' error? This error usually indicates that you aren't connected to the Internet. Did you have Internet access when this occurred?

How is your gameplay now that the ping issue is resolved?  Can you find lobbies with the Geo-filter enabled now and connect with friends now?

That's great to hear a factory reset has solved the issue - let us know if it returns. In answer to your questions, PPPoE shouldn't be capping your speeds at all - you will receive the speeds you pay for, PPPoE shouldn't affect this. If you find that you have unusually low speeds, let us know and we'll work on solving it.

Do you still get the 'failed to load Miscellaneous settings' error? This error usually indicates that you aren't connected to the Internet. Did you have Internet access when this occurred?

How is your gameplay now that the ping issue is resolved?  Can you find lobbies with the Geo-filter enabled now and connect with friends now?

So pppoe is still capping my internet speed. I managed to play a couple of games with geo filter but today even though no issues were reported I still could not find a dedicated server thus no lobbies.In regards to your question about misc , no I did not have any internet at that time thus the error although it is not quite user friendly.

• Netduma Staff

So pppoe is still capping my internet speed. I managed to play a couple of games with geo filter but today even though no issues were reported I still could not find a dedicated server thus no lobbies.In regards to your question about misc , no I did not have any internet at that time thus the error although it is not quite user friendly.

If you have a spare router lying about, you could put the Netduma behind that and use the Netduma without PPPoE enabled. We're aware that the 'unable to load Misc settings' error is confusing, though DumaOS should have much more user friendly reports.

In terms of finding a game, please make sure you only enable the Geo-filter when the game has fully loaded up. It's possible that WWII is trying to connect you to a server that is mis-located, which could be the American server you saw on your trace route. If you expand the radius to the whole map and disable Strict Mode, do you connect to a server? If so, where is the server located?

If you have a spare router lying about, you could put the Netduma behind that and use the Netduma without PPPoE enabled. We're aware that the 'unable to load Misc settings' error is confusing, though DumaOS should have much more user friendly reports.

In terms of finding a game, please make sure you only enable the Geo-filter when the game has fully loaded up. It's possible that WWII is trying to connect you to a server that is mis-located, which could be the American server you saw on your trace route. If you expand the radius to the whole map and disable Strict Mode, do you connect to a server? If so, where is the server located?

Wouldn't it be easier to fix the pppoe connection on the duma as you would require the consumer to buy another router which is not very satisfactory whilst the duma should be able to handle the bandwidth automatically.

I managed to find a temporary solution about not finding lobbies but it all revolves around the netduma pppoe connection fix to make it a permanent solution.

Very disappointed with this feature and hope it gets resolved as I won't be recommending due to this fact

The duma message that PPPoE may affect speeds was initially alarming to me. I'm in the UK with a much loved open reach router (chip set matched to the cabinet) so must run PPPoE through the Duma.

I have have tested the Duma with PPPoE against Duma behind a couple of routers (low end TP links and Netgear nighthawk) and Duma actually consistently came out on top. Have you got your MTU right?

For me I avoid all the IPV6 and ensure the modem is on and synced before I ignite the Duma Beast

• Netduma Staff

Wouldn't it be easier to fix the pppoe connection on the duma as you would require the consumer to buy another router which is not very satisfactory whilst the duma should be able to handle the bandwidth automatically.

I managed to find a temporary solution about not finding lobbies but it all revolves around the netduma pppoe connection fix to make it a permanent solution.

Very disappointed with this feature and hope it gets resolved as I won't be recommending due to this fact

If your speeds are below 100mbps then PPPoE will not be limiting your speeds. Please let us know what your speeds are.

Please also try these settings:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood when gaming, 100% anti-flood when not gaming
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

The duma message that PPPoE may affect speeds was initially alarming to me. I'm in the UK with a much loved open reach router (chip set matched to the cabinet) so must run PPPoE through the Duma.

I have have tested the Duma with PPPoE against Duma behind a couple of routers (low end TP links and Netgear nighthawk) and Duma actually consistently came out on top. Have you got your MTU right?

For me I avoid all the IPV6 and ensure the modem is on and synced before I ignite the Duma Beast

The mtu is set to auto on the duma and my modem was on and synced fully but speeds still dropped from over 200mbps to 80mbps

Thanks though

If your speeds are below 100mbps then PPPoE will not be limiting your speeds. Please let us know what your speeds are.

Please also try these settings:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 70% anti-flood when gaming, 100% anti-flood when not gaming
- Put your device in Hyper Traffic (in Congestion Control)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Enable UPnP and remove any Port Forwarding rules
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Disable IPv6 in misc, LAN and WAN
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do an Internet Diagnosis test

Already have these set up and tested, but to no avail.

I will do an internet diagnosis test tomorrow but my bandwith is around 200mbps down and 20mbps up so speeds of 80mbps down is really bad and already tried to test on different server (speedtest.net and isp speedtest website) so that is not an issue.

Unfortunately due to other isp services connected to their modem router this is the only way to disable nat translation completely on their behalf thus eliminating their side of the problem by connecting through pppoe with the duma.

The router works fine when it is connected behind the isp modem router but I am having nat problems which are leading to a mess with all router functionality because their router does not have dmz function and port forwarding is good but works randomly (example:today it was open after 2 hours playing it turned strict with port forwarding still active). So if this pppoe issue is resolved their router would just become a passthrough and no problems at all.

• Netduma Staff

Already have these set up and tested, but to no avail.

I will do an internet diagnosis test tomorrow but my bandwith is around 200mbps down and 20mbps up so speeds of 80mbps down is really bad and already tried to test on different server (speedtest.net and isp speedtest website) so that is not an issue.

Unfortunately due to other isp services connected to their modem router this is the only way to disable nat translation completely on their behalf thus eliminating their side of the problem by connecting through pppoe with the duma.

The router works fine when it is connected behind the isp modem router but I am having nat problems which are leading to a mess with all router functionality because their router does not have dmz function and port forwarding is good but works randomly (example:today it was open after 2 hours playing it turned strict with port forwarding still active). So if this pppoe issue is resolved their router would just become a passthrough and no problems at all.

On your isp hub, disable Wi-Fi and upnp, change firewall security to the lowest setting, enable port forwarding 1-65535 to the Netduma WAN IP and then don't use PPPoE in duma.

This should solve the NAT, Speed and the 900ms ping issue.

In regards to not finding games, expand your radius to cover more of southern Europe. Hard turn off the console (maybe even unplug it), make sure the geo map is completely clear and then boot up console/game. Can you find games now?

On your isp hub, disable Wi-Fi and upnp, change firewall security to the lowest setting, enable port forwarding 1-65535 to the Netduma WAN IP and then don't use PPPoE in duma.

This should solve the NAT, Speed and the 900ms ping issue.

In regards to not finding games, expand your radius to cover more of southern Europe. Hard turn off the console (maybe even unplug it), make sure the geo map is completely clear and then boot up console/game. Can you find games now?

I managed to solve the nat and speed issue without using pppoe though the 900ms interface still remains even though there does not seem to be any lag. Sometimes it shows normal as 40ms but most of the time it shows 900ms

I managed to solve the nat and speed issue without using pppoe though the 900ms interface still remains even though there does not seem to be any lag. Sometimes it shows normal as 40ms but most of the time it shows 900ms

I think that the 900ms you are seeing is just a visual bug. Follow the steps here and see if that solves it.

http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022397-why-can-t-i-ping-%C2%A0