The NetDuma R1 Has Changed My Game

Sn0H0ar

So, I received my R1 yesterday, and after slogging through a few technical issues - thanks to everyone on these forums, particularly the admins for their help - I got to play my first game.

And then another, and another, and another. Until my wife yelled at me and told me I had to go to bed and/or feed our son or something. Who knows? I had so much fun. I haven't played Advanced Warfare for probably more than 2 hours at a time (and that was at launch). I think I played for 5 hours straight last night. And Black Ops 2 was even better (Treyarch > Sledgehammer, but I digress).

Everything was so much more fluid - and if I hit a bad lobby, I could just block it. There's still so many options and things I'm figuring out, but after about 10 or so games, I was already able to begin fine-tuning certain aspects.

It was awesome to see just how bad matchmaking was for me previous to the NetDuma. I live in Eastern Canada, and watching it try and connect to Texas, California, the UK, and in one horrendous attempt, Haiti(???), opened my eyes completely. Luckily, I just blocked all those sons-of-bitches and played with the centre in Chicago (seems to be a nice hub there) and on the East coast.

It did still try and connect me to Seattle, as my ping assist was below that threshold, but I found those games were awful, even though my ping was apparently still good. But again, I just rated it bad, and didn't get sent back there.

This is the greatest piece of gaming hardware I have ever received. I would trade my Scuf for this any day.

Thanks so much to everyone at NetDuma, and the admins here in the forums. This is an excellent community with incredible customer support, backing up probably the best purchase I've made in a long while.

Cheers,

Sn0

So glad your up & running & very happy.

It is a revelation this router ,i think it should be the gaming product of the year, one further be entered into the gaming hall of fame :)

• Administrators

So glad you're enjoying it and thank-you very much for the kind words. It really does make me very happy.

Also massive thank-you to Zennon, Crossy and everyone. My support has been slow in the evenings because I still haven't got Internet at my flat yet, but thats a long story...

To piggy back on Sn0H0ar's sentiments...

I haven't formally thanked Ian, and others for producing a top-tier product... Until, now.  :D

Like others, this has changed my gaming experience in the CoD series, forever. I can now play the game at a level I consider "competitive" in the general sense. Before, God knows where I was connecting to, but when people are speaking a foreign language (Spanish, French), it's a safe bet I was connecting to Mexico, Canada (Quebec), and other places far out of any acceptable ping radius considering I am on the East Coast, more or less.

The support from the company staff and other forum members has been some of the best I have ever experienced. You ask a question, it gets answered within an hour depending on when you asked it. I know you guys are a small start-up, but I hope you guys continue this level of CS (Customer Service) because this is the heart and soul -- pun intended -- Of the Netduma since the direct interaction with its creators humanizes an already great piece of hardware.

I still get the Quebec players. I'm east coast and have been opening up to around 1000 miles with my pin in central OH. Believe it or not, I keep connecting to Seattle dedicated. Last night I was connected to it and went 21-6 in HC Search. In fact I only had one negative game all night and a lot of it was Seattle.

• Administrators

Hi Connor, Thank-you very much mate. Glad you like the router and its features. I love hanging out here and chatting with Duma users. Its amazing to see people using (& hopefully enjoying) something you created :D

Cranium, remember to post the Seattle threads in the incorrect location thread. So I move them to the right location :)

I still get the Quebec players. I'm east coast and have been opening up to around 1000 miles with my pin in central OH. Believe it or not, I keep connecting to Seattle dedicated. Last night I was connected to it and went 21-6 in HC Search. In fact I only had one negative game all night and a lot of it was Seattle.

Try moving your home location to Kansas (the geographical middle of the U.S.).

You will most likely get the Kansas City server a good percentage of the time, but for me, it works much better than any East Coast servers. The irony is there are too many (one in NYC, One in Michigan, and I am sure some others, too), and they are probably being slammed with more users than they can handle since the East Coast is more heavily populated?

This is why I moved my home location just as an experiment and it turns out it's staying there as long as Activision uses this wacky MM -- SBMM or not -- Because I ping 40ms to the Kansas City server and 64ms to the NYC server, yet it feels like I am playing @ 100ms whenever I am on the NYC server.

Try moving your home location to Kansas (the geographical middle of the U.S.).

You will most likely get the Kansas City server a good percentage of the time, but for me, it works much better than any East Coast servers. The irony is there are too many (one in NYC, One in Michigan, and I am sure some others, too), and they are probably being slammed with more users than they can handle since the East Coast is more heavily populated?

This is why I moved my home location just as an experiment and it turns out it's staying there as long as Activision uses this wacky MM -- SBMM or not -- Because I ping 40ms to the Kansas City server and 64ms to the NYC server, yet it feels like I am playing @ 100ms whenever I am on the NYC server.

As soon as I start have crap games again I will try that. I used to think the Seattle server happened because one of my friends (100% on allow list) lives in Nebraska. He wasn't on last night and it still happened. Games were more solid this past few days than they have been in over a week.

One other thing I found interesting is in my case, when I did a Trace Route to see how I was connecting to the NYC server, the lines went OUT of the country, up into Canada, back down through Maine and then to NY. So, the packets were taking the "long" way around to get to the server.

The Kansas City sever is a direct line from me with one hop in the middle. Thus, it has the better quality connection (even though it is physically further away) and why it plays better, for me.

One other thing I found interesting is in my case, when I did a Trace Route to see how I was connecting to the NYC server, the lines went OUT of the country, up into Canada, back down through Maine and then to NY. So, the packets were taking the "long" way around to get to the server.

The Kansas City sever is a direct line from me with one hop in the middle. Thus, it has the better quality connection (even though it is physically further away) and why it plays better, for me.

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on the trace in the netduma JConnor. Iain has said previously it's not always accurate so I wouldn't put much stock in it. You'll not be routing out of the country (if your pings are normal) so don't panic :)

• Administrators

Hey connor, the routers in the core of the Internet are constantly mislocated so its just kinda a cool feature but don't rely on it too much as Aaron said :)

Archived