Ping unstable

So funny thing, i was going to check network monitor to see if there was any activity while doing another pingplotter as i wasnt 100% if someone might have been using a device on the Wifi at the time or not. My Network monitors not working? It isnt on pause btw :-D Everything i use is hooked up to the Netduma yet i dont see any activity all when using any devices. It's probably something i have done somewhere along the line - Help?! One thing after another lol

** Device manager recognises devices attached with active connections.

To test the health of your line you need to connect your laptop direct to your modem/hub over ethernet, disconnect any other devices (unplug their ethernet cables) and disable the wifi so that it's impossible for anybody to access the internet. While the test is running on your laptop you should not be messing around at all online either. If you don't do this then you can't get a proper result from the test.

• Administrators

So funny thing, i was going to check network monitor to see if there was any activity while doing another pingplotter as i wasnt 100% if someone might have been using a device on the Wifi at the time or not. My Network monitors not working? It isnt on pause btw :-D Everything i use is hooked up to the Netduma yet i dont see any activity all when using any devices. It's probably something i have done somewhere along the line - Help?! One thing after another lol

** Device manager recognises devices attached with active connections.

Are you using Google Chrome to view the interface? If not I think that will solve the issue.

• Netduma Staff

Was using firefox. Chrome is working.

That's great, I'm glad it's working on Chrome. About your connection, I'd give ColonicBoom's suggestion a try for a more accurate reading. If however the results look much the same as your previous Pingplotter, then there's likely something wrong with your equipment or line. You can always disconnect the Netduma to prove that the Netduma is not the culprit, though in my experience secondary routers are very rarely to blame.

Should you get similar results, try replacing or switching around Ethernet cables and try different ports. You might find that (as is often the case) the Modem itself is to blame. Or it could potentially be the line to your house from your ISP. Let us know how it goes :)

• Netduma Staff

It will be a cold day in hell when i get uninterupted use of the houses internet for a lengthy duration xD

I will live in hope.

Haha - blocking the devices of everyone in the house tends to work, but may cause other problems!

I would recommend working with what you've got in that case - and maybe running a Pingplotter test for around half an hour at night will give you the results you need.

It will be a cold day in hell when i get uninterupted use of the houses internet for a lengthy duration xD

I will live in hope.

I'd just tell them that the internet has gone down and you're trying to fix it, then run your test for a little bit.

Then tell them you've solved the problem and fixed the internet, then bask in the glory and order someone to bring you a cuppa and some cake while you put your feet up. Sometimes works.