Using dslreports

I'm just wondering...I have noticed the past few days (and it could be my ISP but speedtest shows me great speeds and ping) that when I run dslreport I'm getting a ton of bufferbloat to the point I'm having to bring my CC down to the high teens to 20s. Ive never had to go that far down (usually in the 40 to 60s). I have 100 down and 10 up. so I'm using reactive. Past two nights were crazy ....like I'm 30% down and up and I'm still seeing it jumping into 250ms however I'm still getting "A" and sometimes "B" on the bufferbloat. I ticked from reactive to preemptive and noticed my it wasn't that bad. I have read everywhere that if youre over 60mbps to use reactive. Should I still keep it on reactive or you guys think running it on preemptive will be just fine?

• Netduma Staff

I'm just wondering...I have noticed the past few days (and it could be my ISP but speedtest shows me great speeds and ping) that when I run dslreport I'm getting a ton of bufferbloat to the point I'm having to bring my CC down to the high teens to 20s. Ive never had to go that far down (usually in the 40 to 60s). I have 100 down and 10 up. so I'm using reactive. Past two nights were crazy ....like I'm 30% down and up and I'm still seeing it jumping into 250ms however I'm still getting "A" and sometimes "B" on the bufferbloat. I ticked from reactive to preemptive and noticed my it wasn't that bad. I have read everywhere that if youre over 60mbps to use reactive. Should I still keep it on reactive or you guys think running it on preemptive will be just fine?

If it's gameplay you're after over speeds, then I'd keep it on the best setting that works for you - pre-emptive should be fine to use, it will only have a knock-on effect on your speeds.

It definitely sounds like something has changed on your line - I would recommend running a pingplotter test to get a better idea of what's happening. Do you get these high-ping and bufferbloat issues with the Netduma removed from your setup?

If it's gameplay you're after over speeds, then I'd keep it on the best setting that works for you - pre-emptive should be fine to use, it will only have a knock-on effect on your speeds.

It definitely sounds like something has changed on your line - I would recommend running a pingplotter test to get a better idea of what's happening. Do you get these high-ping and bufferbloat issues with the Netduma removed from your setup?

Thanks a lot Jack...I'll try the pingplotter to see whats going on. I have not tried it without the duma in line. I'll try that tonight to at least see if that's out of the question.

#1 rule of using DSLReports... DON'T.

oh no?... theres even a message board on here talking about using them for your bufferbloat. Not a fan? do you think they aren't very accurate? They have seemed to help or give an idea ...what do you use?

the problem is with dslreports you are connecting to and relying on their servers where as pingplotter you can see the route from you modem to it's final destination and will show you your line quality.

oh no?... theres even a message board on here talking about using them for your bufferbloat. Not a fan? do you think they aren't very accurate? They have seemed to help or give an idea ...what do you use?

Its known for not being accurate. Lets put it this way, that site tells me I have more bufferbloat on my super clean fibre line than I had when I was on Virgins jitter fest cable. Say no more.

Ping Plotter is much more accurate and more recommended on here.

I used to use it all the time but then my internet went all funky during BO3.

When I say 'funky', I mean that it went so bad that I couldn't play BO3. I would teleport everywhere and skip back and forwards, fall out of the map, get kicked, literally couldn't play it anymore.

I tested my line on DSL Reports and it gave me A's across the board. I tested on Ping Plotter and it rightly told me that I had a serious problem with my line. In the end I had to change ISP because it wasn't going to be resolved for months (if at all).

But my point is that if DSL Reports is telling me that my line is perfect when even my ISP will admit there's a serious fault with the infrastructure in my area (and they do not admit that sort of thing easily), and I can see for myself that I can't play games online, then it can't be relied upon for determining whether you have an optimal setup.

Thanks alot guys...I'll check out pingplotter tonight when I get home from work. one more question though....using pingplotter and say my ping is higher then I want...do you still use the CC to bring it down like you would on dslreports? or is it just a straight tell you what your line is doing?

Thanks alot guys...I'll check out pingplotter tonight when I get home from work. one more question though....using pingplotter and say my ping is higher then I want...do you still use the CC to bring it down like you would on dslreports? or is it just a straight tell you what your line is doing?

your ping is your ping, you cannot reduce your base ping. The cc's are to control network congestion and to give your other devices a bit of buffer room (not bufferbloat)  :)

HAHA.,....nytemare01....I'm in the same boat...I tried it last night and though my ping looked great I had no clue what to compare it too ..I even watched youtube videos on it...and still wasn't getting it...I'm planning on doing more research to see how I can connect it to my online gaming and call of duty.

• Netduma Staff

How do you use pingplotter to troubleshoot your connection?

HAHA.,....nytemare01....I'm in the same boat...I tried it last night and though my ping looked great I had no clue what to compare it too ..I even watched youtube videos on it...and still wasn't getting it...I'm planning on doing more research to see how I can connect it to my online gaming and call of duty.

If you guys wanted to, you could screenshot your results and post them here. Plenty of us have used Pingplotter and understand the results, we'd be able to guide you on what the results mean and how best to use it.

You're best off running a Pingplotter test to something like Twitter.com for a couple of hours (at non-peak times preferably).

How do you use pingplotter to troubleshoot your connection?

Just watch the tutorial video, I'm sure it's on youtube.

Plug an ethernet cable direct to your modem* and the other end into your laptop.

Make sure you can access the internet before you try to use Ping Plotter.

In Ping Plotter, ping something big, I use Twitter, for about 10-20 mins.

Save the image of the graph (from one of the menus along the top).

Upload it here or onto Imgur or some other image sharing site so we can look at it.

Then we'll tell you what's up.

*If you an ISP hub rather than a standalone modem, then unplug any other devices and disable wifi (otherwise they will influence the graph).

Will maybe I knew more then I thought...kinda....I plugged it straight from my modem to my laptop...ran pingplotter and it asked me if I wanted to hop to google.com so I did....so 1. was my duma IP and 2 was google...and my ping stayed between 40 and sometimes jumped to about 50 and I got nothing red showing I loss packets. I'll try twitter and see about grabbing a screen shot....thanks again for all of your help.

Btw I use my own modem not a ISP hub or anything however I'm learning on here that the arris sb6183 isn't a good one to run with duma...so I might have to fix that.

40-50ms ping is slow for a broadband connection, it should be around 10-25ms to Google, depending on distance. What kind of internet connection do you have - cable, fibre, VDSL, HFC?

Average ping alone should raise flags, but if it's spiking over 250ms you need to look at your setup or your ISP.

Connect your gaming machines over ethernet (wireless could explain those results), ensure ethernet cables are seated properly and run Pingplotter during both off-peak and peak hours to see if you can find an explanation upstream at the ISP. Look for when and where your ping is jumping and follow it up from there.

At the end of the day, gaming is not bandwidth-intensive, so speed isn't a reliable indicator. What you want to do is clean up those pings and spikes as much as possible. Play around with them and see if the line smooths out in PingPlotter, jitter should also dip. But if your average ping is 40-50ms with 250ms spikes, that's a problem that only you and/or your ISP can fix.

40-50ms ping is slow for a broadband connection, it should be around 10-25ms to Google, depending on distance. What kind of internet connection do you have - cable, fibre, VDSL, HFC?

Average ping alone should raise flags, but if it's spiking over 250ms you need to look at your setup or your ISP.

Connect your gaming machines over ethernet (wireless could explain those results), ensure ethernet cables are seated properly and run Pingplotter during both off-peak and peak hours to see if you can find an explanation upstream at the ISP. Look for when and where your ping is jumping and follow it up from there.

At the end of the day, gaming is not bandwidth-intensive, so speed isn't a reliable indicator. What you want to do is clean up those pings and spikes as much as possible. Play around with them and see if the line smooths out in PingPlotter, jitter should also dip. But if your average ping is 40-50ms with 250ms spikes, that's a problem that only you and/or your ISP can fix.

So I did my ping test straight from the modem and also through my R1....straight from the ..to twitter through the R1 I would ping an average of 27 which is good because a speedtest shows 29 and I actually had my ISP (spectrum) ping my router and they got 29.

The 250ms wasn't through pingplotter it was dslreports when its testing and it was jumping to 250ms as it was doing its readings.