Netduma with Asus Rapture GT-AC5300

Hey guys!

Need a few answers on using my Netduma off of my Asus Rapture GT-AC5300. I would like to keep the Asus Rapture as my main router/wifi component and from there, use the netduma for just the host filtering. I quite like the QoS for the Rapture and have my bufferbloat A+ the way it is, now I just want to find closer/better hosts. First off, is this possible? If not possible they way I want to utilize, can this be done a different way? Open to all suggestions, thanks alot!

I believe to use any of the R1 features from the Netduma router it has to be your MAIN router.  Meaning all devices have to be connected to NetDuma R1 router.  You have quite a setup.  Should be interesting what everyone says.  I could be wrong, wouldn't the first time and it wont be last time. Good luck.

It is possible. 

Just connect the R1 to the Asus and it will work.

You'll need to add the R1 to the DMZ of the Asus so you don't get double NAT'd.

The R1 has it's own firewall so no need to worry about putting it in Asus' DMZ.

Yeh is possible just connect the netdumas WAN port (port1) to one of the asus's LAN ports. You will need to give the netduma a static ip in the Raptures DHCP settings. You may need to use DMZ as well however i dont use it and get no NAT issues, you need to enable upnp forwarding in the misc settings of the netduma though. (I have similar setup using asus router) You then need to prioritise the netdumas traffic in the raptures QOS settings. Also turn off the wifi on the netduma if your not using it. This is the best you can do with this setup but note you will not be utilising 100% of netdumas QOS features so its not going to be your ideal setup. 

if you arent worried about using congestion control forreal then you can. ive use my duma behind the nighthawk many times. congestion control is the only feature  you wont fully be able to use 

It is possible. 

Just connect the R1 to the Asus and it will work.

You'll need to add the R1 to the DMZ of the Asus so you don't get double NAT'd.

The R1 has it's own firewall so no need to worry about putting it in Asus' DMZ.

So I did that and it is connected. I have now got a double NAT and it is strict/moderate. I'm confused on how to get the double Nat off. You want me to utilize the DMZ setting in which router? If I enter the IP address used from the xbox into the DMZ tab of the Wan section of the Asus router, it doesn't seem to correct the problem.

Yeh is possible just connect the netdumas WAN port (port1) to one of the asus's LAN ports. You will need to give the netduma a static ip in the Raptures DHCP settings. You may need to use DMZ as well however i dont use it and get no NAT issues, you need to enable upnp forwarding in the misc settings of the netduma though. (I have similar setup using asus router) You then need to prioritise the netdumas traffic in the raptures QOS settings. Also turn off the wifi on the netduma if your not using it. This is the best you can do with this setup but note you will not be utilising 100% of netdumas QOS features so its not going to be your ideal setup. 

I get the double Nat on moderate but from the handful of games I played, it didn't seem to make an issue. What IP address do I enter into the "IP Address of Exposed Station" for the DMZ? Also, for the static IP, is that in the LAN section, under the DHCP server tab where it says "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list?" How do I know what IP address to use for the static?

• Administrators

So I did that and it is connected. I have now got a double NAT and it is strict/moderate. I'm confused on how to get the double Nat off. You want me to utilize the DMZ setting in which router? If I enter the IP address used from the xbox into the DMZ tab of the Wan section of the Asus router, it doesn't seem to correct the problem.

I get the double Nat on moderate but from the handful of games I played, it didn't seem to make an issue. What IP address do I enter into the "IP Address of Exposed Station" for the DMZ? Also, for the static IP, is that in the LAN section, under the DHCP server tab where it says "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list?" How do I know what IP address to use for the static?

Put WAN IP from R1 Device Manager into DMZ setting on Asus thats the only IP you need to put in. That should be the one you manually assign to the Netduma also.

Put WAN IP from R1 Device Manager into DMZ setting on Asus thats the only IP you need to put in. That should be the one you manually assign to the Netduma also.

The WAN ip address of the Netduma seems to be 192.168.1.168 and so I put that in the ASUS DMZ (See link below)

https://screenshots.firefox.com/HwLfLxa2dAbc7bYR/router.asus.com

And also, under LAN settings assigned a manual IP address (See link below) to the same IP address as 192.168.1.168

https://screenshots.firefox.com/ZpTYtTmZeYb0AsWs/router.asus.com

I've also got uPnp enabled like so

https://screenshots.firefox.com/GbjyUfkaIUSIPx56/192.168.1.168

And uPnP forwarding available as well as you can see all my other misc settings too.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/RORWzsD8r3De1QMd/192.168.1.168

Still can't seem to get it right!

Have you tried just running the Rapture with no Duma?  If you paid that much for a router that should be your only router you need unless it is over priced junk. However from what I read about the Rapture the hardware is impressive.  I would be curious how your game play is with just using the rapture and then just using the Duma.

From What I heard the Geo filter only works for you to connect to a certain host but does not control payers from Africa connecting to the host.

What test is this from? Can you provide screenshots?

On the xbox in the network settings then detailed networks statistics. Just hooked up to the Asus, 51ms Latency and after going through NetDuma also, 90ms Latency. No screenshots of the test that were taken yesterday.

Have you tried just running the Rapture with no Duma?  If you paid that much for a router that should be your only router you need unless it is over priced junk. However from what I read about the Rapture the hardware is impressive.  I would be curious how your game play is with just using the rapture and then just using the Duma.

From What I heard the Geo filter only works for you to connect to a certain host but does not control payers from Africa connecting to the host.

To answer your question, I have and it works great that way still.

The Asus Rapture is very good and has gotten my bufferbloat down incredibly. They actually have a game radar (similar to host filtering) function but doesn't allow console usage for that feature. Only for PC games for now I guess. But as far as home networking goes, it dwarfs the NetDuma hence why I want it to be my main router. The QoS is very powerful as well and let's you control pretty much every parameter. I only care to use the NetDuma for the Host Filtering to keep my games on the east coast and at a good ping. I have most other functions like congestion control turned off.

• Administrators

On the xbox in the network settings then detailed networks statistics. Just hooked up to the Asus, 51ms Latency and after going through NetDuma also, 90ms Latency. No screenshots of the test that were taken yesterday.

The Asus Rapture is very good and has gotten my bufferbloat down incredibly. 

Console network tests are not very accurate. They ping a far away server. It's also possible the Geo-filter is enabled and blocking a closer one. It is only the ping to authenticate you are online thats it, it has no effect on your game ping.

That's great but getting a good bufferbloat score doesn't matter because it doesn't occur unless your network is saturated.

Console network tests are not very accurate. They ping a far away server. It's also possible the Geo-filter is enabled and blocking a closer one. It is only the ping to authenticate you are online thats it, it has no effect on your game ping.

That's great but getting a good bufferbloat score doesn't matter because it doesn't occur unless your network is saturated.

I don't know about that, my bufferbloat was horrible at anytime I tested and bufferbloat definitely has an effect on gaming. As far as the latency, it was consistently scoring from the same server so all was fair for both leading me to think there definitely has to be something in the duma to effect it. By that logic you would think the duma would do better if the geo filter was on lol, who knows.

• Administrators

I don't know about that, my bufferbloat was horrible at anytime I tested and bufferbloat definitely has an effect on gaming. As far as the latency, it was consistently scoring from the same server so all was fair for both leading me to think there definitely has to be something in the duma to effect it. By that logic you would think the duma would do better if the geo filter was on lol, who knows.

I'm just saying it from an R1 perspective, regardless of the score you may get at whatever settings you had bufferbloat wouldn't occur when CC was applied because CC won't allow saturation in the first place. If you're happy with your QoS solution then that's great!

It's just a speculation, all I know is that ping doesn't indicate that you'll have a bad game experience. Play online with the Geo, whats the average ping when in a game?

• 3 weeks later...

Can you tell me what your qos settings are in your asus rapture gt-ac5300 as im able to get better consistent buffer bloat results from dsl reports and  cod on ps4 feels better going straight through the netduma but I have to run netduma behind my asus router because i have 1gig internet and many devices on my network.   I now have netduma behind asus router and only use geo filter for cod on ps4 which helps greatly but would like to be able to get more consistent A+ scores on dsl reports test on the asus router.  

When you enable game boost on asus router you can no longer prioritize devices as when you do it disables the game boost feature.  Ive tried capping the bandwidth on asus router and then upload or download huge files to bottleneck network and when i do this while in game of cod on ps4 the 3 green bars go to 2 yellow or even 1 red and the hit detection is horrible and delayed. 

I did same test with netduma direct and it would go from 3 green bars to 2 yellow never hit 1 red and the hit detection was still decent but still not as good if not saturating netowork.

• 1 month later...

The WAN ip address of the Netduma seems to be 192.168.1.168 and so I put that in the ASUS DMZ (See link below)

https://screenshots.firefox.com/HwLfLxa2dAbc7bYR/router.asus.com

And also, under LAN settings assigned a manual IP address (See link below) to the same IP address as 192.168.1.168

https://screenshots.firefox.com/ZpTYtTmZeYb0AsWs/router.asus.com

I've also got uPnp enabled like so

https://screenshots.firefox.com/GbjyUfkaIUSIPx56/192.168.1.168

And uPnP forwarding available as well as you can see all my other misc settings too.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/RORWzsD8r3De1QMd/192.168.1.168

Still can't seem to get it right!

Hi, could you please send the pictures again?, I´m not able to open it, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Need a few answers on using my Netduma off of my Asus Rapture GT-AC5300. I would like to keep the Asus Rapture as my main router/wifi component and from there, use the netduma for just the host filtering. I quite like the QoS for the Rapture and have my bufferbloat A+ the way it is, now I just want to find closer/better hosts. First off, is this possible? If not possible they way I want to utilize, can this be done a different way? Open to all suggestions, thanks alot!

How the hell are you getting A+ bufferbloat with the gt-ac5300 i get a d

I also own the GT-AC5300 and if you want an A+ Bufferbloat you need to set your values for qos upload, and download manually for the most part. You can typically set bandwidth to about 80% of what you actually get when running a full speed test. However, every network is different. If you run adaptive qos you have a little less control. If you have traditional qos you can implement as much control to bandwidth and paremeters as you would like. It really helps regardless to have a good stable internet connection that isn't riddled with jitter and line issues. But yes it is very possible to achieve an A+ with the GT-AC5300. I have been able to get an A+ with my netduma as well as with my GT-AC5300.