I can;t get my ping below 24. Goes as high as 38. Any suggestions? PS4 system connected to big tv. Any equipment change needed? Download speed 50, upload speed, 5.

There will always be a minimum ping that you can't reduce due to location, connection type and so on. You can reduce it if your current setup means you're getting higher than this minimum possible latency, but the only real difference would come from moving closer to servers or to an ISP that allows faster pings at the same distance.

If you're talking about 24ms on the network diagnostics test, that is probably just because of your location and distance from the 8.8.8.8 server. That doesn't mean you can't get faster than 24ms to other servers. I live right next to one so I get more like 6ms to 8.8.8.8 for example.

Also switching from a TV to a monitor will help make gameplay more responsive because you're having to deal with input lag, which basically compounds with lag caused by networking. The higher your input lag, the longer it'll take for you to see what's happening in game.

• Administrators

Well first of all those pings aren't bad. If you can't get below than 24ms then thats your base ping + ping to your closest game server (assuming you're using Geo to get that ping) so nothing can be done about that. Would suggest the above advice though

There will always be a minimum ping that you can't reduce due to location, connection type and so on. You can reduce it if your current setup means you're getting higher than this minimum possible latency, but the only real difference would come from moving closer to servers or to an ISP that allows faster pings at the same distance.

If you're talking about 24ms on the network diagnostics test, that is probably just because of your location and distance from the 8.8.8.8 server. That doesn't mean you can't get faster than 24ms to other servers. I live right next to one so I get more like 6ms to 8.8.8.8 for example.

Also switching from a TV to a monitor will help make gameplay more responsive because you're having to deal with input lag, which basically compounds with lag caused by networking. The higher your input lag, the longer it'll take for you to see what's happening in game.

Have seen a lot about monitors. What would you suggest as a good fit for online gaming? I also would take any suggestions from any other members. Thanks

Have seen a lot about monitors. What would you suggest as a good fit for online gaming? I also would take any suggestions from any other members. Thanks

Can't go wrong with the BenQ RL2455HM. It's been around a while now and nothing has really replaced it (even models dubbed its successor) because they're all more expensive but aren't faster. Anything with 1 or 2ms response time and under 17ms (one frame at 60fps) of input lag is perfect. The RL has 1ms GTG response time and averages just 10ms of input lag, so it's nice and responsive and perfect for 60fps gaming.

I've had two of these because I haven't seen anything better lol

A monitor can be a huge improvement over a tv with input lag and response time (and you can use RGB colour) but, like IIIRL said, it will not affect your in game ping at all, they are completely unrelated.

I just got a 4K monitor for the Xbox One X, I think it has 1ms response and 11ms input lag, the difference between it and the tv I was using before is unbelievable.

A monitor can be a huge improvement over a tv with input lag and response time (and you can use RGB colour) but, like IIIRL said, it will not affect your in game ping at all, they are completely unrelated.

I just got a 4K monitor for the Xbox One X, I think it has 1ms response and 11ms input lag, the difference between it and the tv I was using before is unbelievable.

Moving from a TV to a monitor makes an unbelievable difference for your experience, at least when playing games that demand speed and precision anyway. I'd argue it's the best piece of equipment you can buy to enhance your gaming experience. No offence to Iain and co of course ;) I say that because in the broken CoD games of today, connections are a totally different ball game lol

Can't go wrong with the BenQ RL2455HM. It's been around a while now and nothing has really replaced it (even models dubbed its successor) because they're all more expensive but aren't faster. Anything with 1 or 2ms response time and under 17ms (one frame at 60fps) of input lag is perfect. The RL has 1ms GTG response time and averages just 10ms of input lag, so it's nice and responsive and perfect for 60fps gaming.

I've had two of these because I haven't seen anything better lol

I have the RL2755 and have absolutely nothing negative to say about it. Great bit of kit.