Tennis elbow?

Murdoch

Man, I doubt if it was "just" gaming related, but I had a HELL of a battle with tennis elbow.  I had it in both elbows at different points in my adult life.  Ice, heat, massage/stretching, a home TENS unit, and about 8-9 shots of cortisone between the two joints.  Nothing helped for longer than a few days when it got really bad.

I ended up having a "Lateral Upper Epi-Condril Release" done on both elbows to alleviate the pain.  I can honestly say that I truly under-appreciated how much that one little tendon does for you in daily life, or how MISERABLE it can make you.

The surgery was like a final, last ditch effort, but had I known how much better it would be afterwards, I would have opted for the first one a LOT sooner.

If it's still early a few things I can recommend from doing EVERYTHING to try and alleviate the pain.

Get a brace that locks your muscles to your forearm itself and wear that thing ALL DAY, EVERY DAY if you can.  They look like this: http://www.amazon.com/Tennis-Elbow-Brace-Epicondylitis-Support/dp/B000SNOZ9Q/ref=sr_1_13/190-6859559-3196659?ie=UTF8&qid=1433176099&sr=8-13&keywords=best+tennis+elbow+brace

These types of braces change the leverage point on your arm, so the tendon gets a lot less work and aggravation when you have the right brace.

The biggest threat to re-injury is all the little crap you do, without even thinking about it, in daily life.  Reaching in the fridge for a gallon of milk, reaching out to turn a doorknob, extending something out, away from your body, usually with your palm sideways or down.

The key with this type of injury is that it is repetitive stress.  The more you do anything with that forearm, to agitate the tendon and where it adheres to your elbow, the worse it's going to get.

If you need more info on the surgery, or the resulting scar tissue, let me know.

Good luck man - I don't envy the road you are on now.   :unsure:

used to have a mate who suffered from this, iirc his name was wayne king

on a more serious note it sounds really bad and i hope you can get something sorted out real quick

Not horrible yet. Just an aggravating pain that I don't want to get worse. It's hard to take it easy because I work with my hands. Thanks for the info, I will be picking up a brace on the way home from work.

Is it on the top of your forearm or the bottom as there is a difference in treatment options,one being tennis elbow (above) or golfers elbow (below) but it is really epicondolitis (spelling ?) being a powerlifter and welder/fabricator I have this more than I don't.It's easily treatable with voodoo bands and some specific movements designed for that part of your forearm.

If you want more info just ask 

What Dillinger said. I used to play a lot of Squash, and have seen how painful this condition can be. I'm sceptical it's "gaming related", tho?

Best advice would be get to t he Docs and have it checked. Caught early enough and you have some options. Leave it long enough you'll be asking for your arm to be amputated. Maybe I exaggerated the last bit, lol. :)

@toby

Think Ive met his daughters a few times. Pam and her 5 chubby sisters? :D

Yup that sounds like lateral epicondylitis or tennis elbow.It's caused by bad internal rotation,think of yourself swinging a tennis racket across your body ( a backhand shot) you put your hand in a bad over stretched position and it loads on your elbow.

Things to help it...

1 - Ice it 4 times a day until numb,you have to create blood flow in there.At some point you've created stasis and you need to start blood flow to start healing.

2 - Nervous system,because you have large nerves that run thru there you need to make sure your first rib,which is right below your ear in your trap.I know who would have thought your first rib is there right,is not trapping some of the neural tissue that runs thru you elbow.

3 - Compression - 12 sided dice works great (but a marble will do also) with a voodoo band wrapped around it on the spot that's giving you issues.You want to drive the die or marble into where your pain is and then wrap the compression device around it.And yes this should be slightly painful.What your trying to do is start some inflammation and rotate your hand,internally and externally.And when you release the compression device it will feel better due to the increased blood flow.

4 - Compression and movement - pin your shoulder in a door way or have someone tack (hold) your shoulder down as your laying on your back with your elbow on the floor and your forearm in the air.Have them press (open palm) on your shoulder pinning it to the back of the socket and try to rotate your forearm forward.Once you hit your pain spot hole it there and have your helper put his knee down by your elbow and you push back against his knee.

All this sounds stupid but when mine or the guys I lift with elbow flares up it's what we do and it helps,although it's a pain in the ass

For me it started since playing advance warfare. I think with always jumping has cause me to get it.

You aren't the only one.  Within the first week of the game hitting the hands of the pro players, several of them were tweeting out that they were experiencing the same thing.  Specifically, for those interested, Sharp_Tk, Mboze (Optic), Clayster, and two other lesser known members of outlying teams.  

Cool, just remember the main thing is to get blood flow to the spot as that is the key.Wish you luck on your rehab   :)

Archived