Duma OS idea (if it's not too late to implement) - thoughts?

In short, my idea is that Duma OS allows us to not only request games under a certain latency threshold, as the ping assist feature allows us to do so well, but to set a range with a lower and upper limit.

I think that's a great idea.

The only real problem I see with it relates to the horrible hybrid matchmaking systems such as in IW.

In exactly the same way that they can be a nuisance for the Geo Filter radius / Ping Assist at the moment.

You find a 'lobby host' within your ping range (or radius), say 35-50ms, but then it drops you onto a dedi just outside of your parameters and you're back at the home screen.

But in theory, and in games where you join straight onto the server, I'd love to experiment with this feature.

I've been getting what feels like frame drop on IW recently

as RL has said above it shouldn't be like this on local server but just seems to play worse for some reason.

I have tried US servers and even though the response is a bit delayed they seem to drop easier!!!!

What like a kind of stuttering? Yeah it seems to relate to the quality of lobby host the game picks before transferring to a server. I wish I was able to pull lobby host myself to see if it improves things but if I stick my home in the ocean and have a ping assist value below 40ms, I'll never find a game even though I get <30ms to SEVEN different server locations in Europe lmao

I think that's a great idea.

The only real problem I see with it relates to the horrible hybrid matchmaking systems such as in IW.

In exactly the same way that they can be a nuisance for the Geo Filter radius / Ping Assist at the moment.

You find a 'lobby host' within your ping range (or radius), say 35-50ms, but then it drops you onto a dedi just outside of your parameters and you're back at the home screen.

But in theory, and in games where you join straight onto the server, I'd love to experiment with this feature.

I don't understand why they made this change. In BO3 you could just set your ping assist to 20ms and connect to servers you'd normally get that to. It took me a while to work out why I had to increase my ping assist value if I wanted to go off that slider alone and not use a radius lol

Apparently 10Mb upload isn't enough bandwidth for CoD nowadays because I don't recall ever getting lobby host, so I'm unable to test whether that impacts gameplay. If I use say <40ms ping assist, I might find a 30ms lobby host for the UK server (7ms), or there might be a 15ms lobby host on the Italian server (30ms), and so on and so forth. It's hard to test with so many variables out of your control :/

I thought I'd found success in IW by using ping assist only once I realised how to find games with it earlier in the year, but when patch 1.09 came out on 14/02 my bullets turned into marshmallows regardless of the server. At the end of the day I'm still wondering if it's other players and their higher latency who are affecting my experience and, by extension, whether a.) being lobby host prior to connecting to the server would help or b.) if having a latency closer to the average of the entire lobby is the way to go.

7ms should feel like host, because it's literally under half a frame from host/server perspective, but it hasn't offered smooth gameplay except for a handful of games where nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Idk what to conclude from that.

I have a sneaky suspicion that there is still a form of host advantage, even though i was connected to a dedicated server at 7ms ping, there was a 3kd player in the lobby and one out of three games i was on his team, during that match my hit detection was flawless and i went 22-2 whilst he managed 43-5, i have never known such a crisp hit detection on iw, the other two matches he was still going ham but i was finding it harder to drop the same players that dropped so easy while i was on his team, he was just unkillable to play against even with my try hard sweaty undies on.

Agreed IMO that's a great idea and would love to see something like this, in my situation I'm 70 actually miles from a huge dedi bank (Illinois) and between 10-15 ms to them but still struggle with stability during gameplay.

But as Fraser said if it's something we see, it will be down the road as I know they are concentrating all their efforts on the new OS right now.

But again great idea... :D

Obviously the major selling point of the R1 is the unique geofilter. It's a brilliant feature that allows you to find the lowest latency games possible, which in FPS games in particular should be the most important tool in helping overcome one of the biggest problems with multiplayer gaming - matchmaking. Ping assist takes the control you have with the radius feature even further. However I've noticed that getting the absolute lowest latency games possible isn't always the best approach, unless you live far enough away from a server that the lowest latency game you can find has you in the sweet spot.

Many people I watch playing recent titles - IW in particular - have perfectly smooth gameplay on something like 40ms latency, even if they're on some jittery line or dropping packets. Every bullet registers instantly regardless. You've probably seen a lot of my complaining on the forum this year about connecting to my local IW server (UK) on 7ms latency and seeing awful connections thanks to audibly delayed hitmarkers or none at all, jerky aim assist, being visibly behind the action and so on. In IW I've noticed the UK server acts like a matchmaking black hole and if I turn off my geofilter, or just set it up to find the lowest latency games possible, 90% of the time it'll be on 7ms, while everyone from here to Dubai also connects to it. I've wanted to test higher latency games but the only servers I can connect to with reliably are in the UK, Netherlands, France and New Jersey in the US; the former three all offer under 14ms connections - not ideal for my testing - while the latter gives me a perfectly respectable but obviously not ideal 75ms. The Danish, Polish and Russian servers offer 30-50ms which is the ideal range for testing not overly excessive latency, but because of their proximity to the German/Dutch servers it's hard to use the radius feature to connect to them without avoiding those low latency games.

In short, my idea is that Duma OS allows us to not only request games under a certain latency threshold, as the ping assist feature allows us to do so well, but to set a range with a lower and upper limit. This would allow us a greater degree of control over matchmaking, further increasing the appeal of the R1 for serious gamers while also improving our experience in games.

I know many of you probably feel like it'd be too niche a feature, especially if you have no issues finding smooth games with how the geofilter works currently, but if you know how miserably IW and even WW2 have played on under half a frame of latency you have likely given up on playing or have tried server hopping yourself.

Let me know your thoughts. I hope this isn't an unreasonable request as I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding the work that goes into making these kinds of features possible :)

Your idea is not too late.  Safe to say DumaOS still has some time before it comes out. :)

Thanks a lot for your input guys. Of course I'd rather not waste the team's time if nobody else would get any use out of this :P even if it's not there at release it'd be great to see with a new patch further down the line at some point.

The feature is already there, turn off your console, move your home to overseas Europe, reboot the Netduma, restart your console :)

Haha maybe I wasn't specific enough (my bad). I mean being able to use a range of values for latency in order to cover servers that may be hard to get inside your radius if you're trying to avoid others. For example if I wanted games between 25-50ms, I could choose Denmark, Spain, Italy, Poland and Russia servers. The problem is that covering that entire space means the French, Dutch and German servers will be included by the radius, and because most games seem to end up playing out on those lower latency servers it's an issue.

I could easily cover just Denmark alone without touching Germany, or have just Poland and Russia together in my radius, but I'll never find a game. I could have my radius around Spain and Italy only, but that allows the game to connect me to north African lobby hosts. Being able to cover a range of latency values means I could include tolerable servers and keep potential lobby host latency down while also being able to play on the servers I prefer, without the obstacle of very low latency servers getting in the way at any point. Can't believe I just said that last part but welcome to CoD in 2017 lol

Hope that was more clear :)

Mine was really a "in the meantime" sort of solution.

The turning off of the console, rebooting the duma and turning back on the console after setting the geo helps to force I find.

Mine was really a "in the meantime" sort of solution.

The turning off of the console, rebooting the duma and turning back on the console after setting the geo helps to force I find.

Yeah that works but only for one server, or a group of servers that are located close together. If France, Germany and the Netherlands servers played well that would be perfect as you can cover those three while excluding the UK for example. It usually affects the number of games you can find though, since the UK server - and, to a lesser extent, the Dutch and French ones - normally provide the most games. I still haven't found a game on the Russian server so far this year because I'm forced to set my geofilter up elsewhere, whereas if I could set a latency range I'd see it pop up whenever there was a game available to play on it.

I find the Danish server plays best but I've only found games on it for the first time this week. I can find games on the Spanish server but obviously can't cover others I want without also covering France, Germany, the Netherlands etc. Basically this feature would give us total control over where we play.