Welcome to Netduma Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PS4 slow via Netduma?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

SmallCaps

SmallCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 02:33 AM
Greeting Techno gurus,

I have an excellent connection when connecting the ethernet cable directly from the cable modem to my Mac.

960 Mbit down
147 Mbit up
1 ms to backbone

When I check the connection speeds on the PS4, connected with the same ethernet cable as above via the Netduma router, it only gets 60 Mbit down and 0.86 Mb up. The 60 Mbit down is fine, but it is the up speed that concerns me.

All other devices are consuming about 300-400 Kbit total at the time of testing.

The router is set to Hyper-Traffic with the PS4 and PSN.
Turbo mode and Super Turbo mode active.

Is this a known problem with PS4/PSN?

Any thoughts?

Buster

Buster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 AM

From Duma's FAQ about speed 

It is recommended that you use a computer with a wired connection to carry out a speed test. Consoles, phones and tablets can often provide inaccurate results. To find out your true speed, please always use a wired computer.

http://support.netdu...on-speed-lower-

I Am MoD BoX

I Am MoD BoX

If you're arguing with me, you're already wrong.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM

Greeting Techno gurus,

I have an excellent connection when connecting the ethernet cable directly from the cable modem to my Mac.

960 Mbit down
147 Mbit up
1 ms to backbone

When I check the connection speeds on the PS4, connected with the same ethernet cable as above via the Netduma router, it only gets 60 Mbit down and 0.86 Mb up. The 60 Mbit down is fine, but it is the up speed that concerns me.

All other devices are consuming about 300-400 Kbit total at the time of testing.

The router is set to Hyper-Traffic with the PS4 and PSN.
Turbo mode and Super Turbo mode active.

Is this a known problem with PS4/PSN?

Any thoughts?

PSN speed test in network settings is completely unreliable and wrong most of the time... Also, you shouldn't be testing while the console is in hyper traffic because it's meant for low bandwidth traffic. If you add your PC to it and try testing the router will slow down and you probably won't even be able to access it while testing.

As long as your PC is getting your full speeds through the Netduma, then it's fine.

If you would like a faster reply, please quote me.

iMessage: [email protected]

SmallCaps

SmallCaps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 02:33 AM

Thanks for the answers.

Will try to:

. delete Hyper-Traffic

. see what speed I'll get with the cable connected directly from the modem to PS4

Cheers

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 15,917 posts

Any update on this?

Technical support:

Optimal Settings Guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc. 

FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.

Knowledge Base - Main link to the Knowledge Base, for everything else please search here or on the forum. 

Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

ColonicBoom

ColonicBoom

mum said i'm special

• Moderators
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

I reckon that'll be caused by testing through the console browser and while it's hyper-traffic.

I like cats and cheese and CoD. Don't mix them up, it'll ruin your lunch and your Xbox. And your cat.

D3mon1c

D3mon1c

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM

Ive noticed this too but its good to know the consoles aren't exactly reliable when it comes to testing but my question is even if they aren't reliable in test will it still access the down speed that isn't on the speed test like say for instance I got 150 down on my console but when I test it says like 112 but say when Im downloading a game will it access the amount I put on the console or only the amount it reads thru the test?

Netduma Fraser

Netduma Fraser

Tech & Customer Support

• Administrators
  • 15,917 posts

Ive noticed this too but its good to know the consoles aren't exactly reliable when it comes to testing but my question is even if they aren't reliable in test will it still access the down speed that isn't on the speed test like say for instance I got 150 down on my console but when I test it says like 112 but say when Im downloading a game will it access the amount I put on the console or only the amount it reads thru the test?

Downloads will usually download at the fastest rate they can so I would assume so. I have heard there is a rate limit when downloading though but hard to know for certain.

Technical support:

Optimal Settings Guide - How to set up your Netduma R1 quickly with optimum settings. Includes: How to get your full speeds, opening your NAT & Geo-filter settings etc. 

FAQ - Includes: How to play with friends using the Geo-filter, I can't access the router control panel, Wifi keeps dropping out etc.

Knowledge Base - Main link to the Knowledge Base, for everything else please search here or on the forum. 

Current firmware version (1.03.6) - If you are on anything below this, follow the instructions carefully to upgrade.

Any other issues please make a new thread on the forum, thank you  :)

Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Twitch - Instagram - Steam Group - Discord

wrighty338

wrighty338

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Isnt PSN capped bandwidth wise?

abc123

abc123

Forum Legend

• Moderators
  • 1,877 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM

Isnt PSN capped bandwidth wise?

yes same as xbox

*edit: PS4 can be tricked into thinking you are multiple people in one house then they give you more bandwidth

It's as easy as abc123

Note: Although I am a moderator, Netduma is not responsible for my written words. In no way is a statement by abc123 a direct statement from Netduma.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users