Low speeds

D3mon1c

Ive noticed this happens every now & then on my end anyway I got 100 down and 10 up but I noticed with the R1 I can get up to 300 down instead so I typically run it with that but yeah every now & then for some reason I get incredibily low speeds where its just under 5 down & up is a joke most times... Why does this happen is it cause of something I messed with on the R1 or does this have nothing to do with me and is out of my hands entirely?

• Netduma Staff

& at the moment im only getting download speeds up to 30

Whenever you're running a speed test, make sure it's wired to a PC using speedtest.net (or an equally trustworthy source). 90% of the time, speed drops like these are caused by an unreliable result such as a console speed test.

If you're already wired to a PC, try turning off your Netduma and Modem, waiting a minute before powering on your modem, waiting again and powering on your Netduma.

Yeah but see thats the thing I was doing that all day yesterday had no clue in the slightest what was wrong cause I did keep unplugged for 30 secs and etc etc but it still was beyond low and cause of this I couldn't watch netflix & I didn't even bother to try to play games at all & cause of that I now have a technician coming in friday to see if something is wrong with my comcast modem & hopefully its just that but yeah its rare when I have any problems on the R1 entirely

• Netduma Staff

Yeah but see thats the thing I was doing that all day yesterday had no clue in the slightest what was wrong cause I did keep unplugged for 30 secs and etc etc but it still was beyond low and cause of this I couldn't watch netflix & I didn't even bother to try to play games at all & cause of that I now have a technician coming in friday to see if something is wrong with my comcast modem & hopefully its just that but yeah its rare when I have any problems on the R1 entirely

I'm glad someone's coming to take a look. For now, if you remove the Netduma from your setup, what speeds do you get wired to your Modem on a PC? You could find that the wire connecting your Netduma to your Modem is faulty as well, so try and rule that out. If you have a spare modem around the house also try a speed test on that.

If you gather the results of those things it'll be good to show your technician. Make sure you don't run those speed tests at peak times. If it turns out you get full speeds through your modem, run a speed test on the Netduma and find that the Netduma is getting slow speeds, try these settings:

- Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

You know weird thing is all this time I been playing without ipv6 enabled on R1 for xb1 but ever since I turned it on lan & miscellaneous its been holding download speeds like for example if I put like 90 down on my xb1 & im downloading on the laptop (share excess disabled btw on download) it holds 90 no matter what I do on my other devices but before when I didn't do ipv6 it would fluctuate all over the place even though I put individual down on seperate devices depending on what im doing 

• Netduma Staff

When you're running the speed tests, have you got device prioritisation reset and share excess enabled?  I'd recommend opening command prompt and running an IPconfig to find out if you're on IPv6 or not. If you know you're supposed to be on IPv6 then keep it enabled in WAN, LAN and Misc.

You know ive been curions what does the wan side of thing do like im familiar with lan & I believe that effects what is plugged into the R1 right? So isnt it just enough to have lan & misc with ipv6 enabled or does wan have to be included too?

• Netduma Staff

You know ive been curions what does the wan side of thing do like im familiar with lan & I believe that effects what is plugged into the R1 right? So isnt it just enough to have lan & misc with ipv6 enabled or does wan have to be included too?

WAN should always be included. I'm not sure myself about how much would be affected by having IPv6 disabled in WAN, but there's no reason to keep it disabled if you know you're on IPv6.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad someone's coming to take a look. For now, if you remove the Netduma from your setup, what speeds do you get wired to your Modem on a PC? You could find that the wire connecting your Netduma to your Modem is faulty as well, so try and rule that out. If you have a spare modem around the house also try a speed test on that.

If you gather the results of those things it'll be good to show your technician. Make sure you don't run those speed tests at peak times. If it turns out you get full speeds through your modem, run a speed test on the Netduma and find that the Netduma is getting slow speeds, try these settings:

- Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

Hi Jack,

I have the same issues. My internet speed is 100/10. When I do an internet speed test directly wired to my modem/router combo I get the full speed. But when I connect my laptop to the netduma I get only 20 download at max, the upload is still right. Just the download speed is very low. I followed the instructions above but still no changes. Do you have any other suggestions?

What I realized is, that when I tick Ipv6 on the netduma, I cannot choose any settings on the left side on the interface. I have to unplug the netduma from the power and restart it. There must be a bug or something. Has anything like this been notified to you guys before?

Thx in advance.

• Netduma Staff

Hi Jack,

I have the same issues. My internet speed is 100/10. When I do an internet speed test directly wired to my modem/router combo I get the full speed. But when I connect my laptop to the netduma I get only 20 download at max, the upload is still right. Just the download speed is very low. I followed the instructions above but still no changes. Do you have any other suggestions?

What I realized is, that when I tick Ipv6 on the netduma, I cannot choose any settings on the left side on the interface. I have to unplug the netduma from the power and restart it. There must be a bug or something. Has anything like this been notified to you guys before?

Thx in advance.

That's a weird one - are you on the latest version of the firmware (1.03.6g/h) and using Chrome or Firefox on the default Netduma theme? I haven't come across that IPv6 bug before, though whenever you enable / disable IPv6 you should reboot from Misc settings anyway. Have you tried another Ethernet cable from the Modem to the Netduma? Are all devices connected to the Netduma, and is this a wired speed test?

That's a weird one - are you on the latest version of the firmware (1.03.6g/h) and using Chrome or Firefox on the default Netduma theme? I haven't come across that IPv6 bug before, though whenever you enable / disable IPv6 you should reboot from Misc settings anyway. Have you tried another Ethernet cable from the Modem to the Netduma? Are all devices connected to the Netduma, and is this a wired speed test?

yeah, i have the latest version of the firmware, im using firefox and the default netduma theme. i click on reboot router from the misc settings but it wont reboot. I have a new ethernet cable cat6 since two weeks. the ethernet cable that is connected from the router to the netduma is the one i got from netduma. all devices are connected to netduma and its a wired speed test, like always.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever you're running a speed test, make sure it's wired to a PC using speedtest.net (or an equally trustworthy source). 90% of the time, speed drops like these are caused by an unreliable result such as a console speed test.

If you're already wired to a PC, try turning off your Netduma and Modem, waiting a minute before powering on your modem, waiting again and powering on your Netduma.

honestly i recommend using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtestit uses multi-server testing to give a more accurate accounting of your speed (ie can test to gig speed)