thinking about getting netduma. need help

xpensivsht

hey everyone im thinking about getting duma very soon, i mainly play on pc but from time to time on ps4. i have Comcast 200down and 10 up. i leased the modem they offered. my questions are, how do i set up the netduma? is really complicated with port forwards and such? also are the benefits like night and day? any bugs that are happening rn or such? thanks for reading this and sorry im a noobie ;c

hey everyone im thinking about getting duma very soon, i mainly play on pc but from time to time on ps4. i have Comcast 200down and 10 up. i leased the modem they offered. my questions are, how do i set up the netduma? is really complicated with port forwards and such? also are the benefits like night and day? any bugs that are happening rn or such? thanks for reading this and sorry im a noobie ;c

Well first thing you'd wanna do is not use their crappy all in one modem/router if that's what they gave you. Saves yourself $10 a month on your bill too.

I have the same speeds as you and I recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TC-7610-E-Certified-Comcast-Spectrum/dp/B01CH8ZNJ0

As for the Netduma:

What games are you playing?

Are there others in the house which you are sharing your internet with?

Setup is pretty simple, as long as you follow the guide. If you run into any issues, you can post here and someone will be glad to help you figure out what's wrong.

Currently there is a stable version of the Netduma software, but soon they are releasing a new update to completely revamp the OS which you can read about here:

https://netduma.com/blog/dumaos-announcement-development-progress-testing/

Well first thing you'd wanna do is not use their crappy all in one modem/router if that's what they gave you. Saves yourself $10 a month on your bill too.

I have the same speeds as you and I recommend this:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TC-7610-E-Certified-Comcast-Spectrum/dp/B01CH8ZNJ0

As for the Netduma:

What games are you playing?

Are there others in the house which you are sharing your internet with?

Setup is pretty simple, as long as you follow the guide. If you run into any issues, you can post here and someone will be glad to help you figure out what's wrong.

Currently there is a stable version of the Netduma software, but soon they are releasing a new update to completely revamp the OS which you can read about here:

https://netduma.com/blog/dumaos-announcement-development-progress-testing/

Just to add to what Modbox said I would recommend checking out Netduma wiki as well. It can answer a lot of questions you may have concerning the R1. Best gaming purchase I have ever made.

im the only one using the internet and mostly black ops 3 and PUBG and destiny and new cod and destiny 2 when they come out. and yea i think i do that the all in one modem. connects to the cable shit then connect my pc and ps4. i looked at what you linked but it only as one internet connection. and the comcast one has 4 so i like that factor so i dont need an adapter.

im the only one using the internet and mostly black ops 3 and PUBG and destiny and new cod and destiny 2 when they come out. and yea i think i do that the all in one modem. connects to the cable shit then connect my pc and ps4. i looked at what you linked but it only as one internet connection. and the comcast one has 4 so i like that factor so i dont need an adapter.

You would buy that modem I linked with the Netduma router which has 4 ports on it.

You would buy that modem I linked with the Netduma router which has 4 ports on it.

oh! sorry im a noob xD and this is the modem i have rn with comcast. so buy the modem form amazon. connect to cable, internet to netduma and them pc and ps4 to netduma? i was also reading that i need to do something with bridge mode that deactivates the wifi?

Model:TG1682G
Vendor:ARRIS Group, Inc.
Hardware Revision:11.0

oh! sorry im a noob xD and this is the modem i have rn with comcast. so buy the modem form amazon. connect to cable, internet to netduma and them pc and ps4 to netduma? i was also reading that i need to do something with bridge mode that deactivates the wifi?

If you buy your own modem you wouldn't have to do anything except for activate it through Comcast, and plug it into the Netduma. Then everything to the Netduma like you said above. It's a stand-alone modem so it doesn't have wifi or any fancy features like the Comcast one has.

If you buy your own modem you wouldn't have to do anything except for activate it through Comcast, and plug it into the Netduma. Then everything to the Netduma like you said above. It's a stand-alone modem so it doesn't have wifi or any fancy features like the Comcast one has.

Hmm. Are the fancy features worth it? And what are the fancy features just wifi and more options in the modem login site? How does one go about connecting the modem

thru Comcast

Hmm. Are the fancy features worth it? And what are the fancy features just wifi and more options in the modem login site? How does one go about connecting the modem

thru Comcast

No, from my experience having Comcast's all in one modem makes your ping worse and more lag.

You just plug it in like the one you have, it will take you to the activation website on your computer. If all goes well it's a 10 minute process. Then just return your rental and make sure you tell them you own your own modem so you get the $10 rental fee taken off your bill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The Netduma only really effects P2P games.

That's not even close to true. The Netduma affects a lot more than P2P games.

As Boom said. 

Forcing the closest dedicated servers will still have the same effect.

Just to follow up on the connections and my setup to maybe give you an illustration on what you can do.

Internet (comcast in my case) -> TP Link 7620 -> Duma -> Hardwired to my PC, PS4 & XB1 .... all other devices in my home is wi-fi so it can do both but hardwired is of course better for gaming.

I have the TP Link 7620 which is just a step up from the 7610 suggested. I would stick with their suggestions though. I have heard some had issues with the one I have, I just don't know what they are or if I have experienced those same issues.

I have one extra on mine duma so it gives you the four options plus additional Wi-Fi for stuff like another Laptop, IPad, iPhone, Apple TV etc. I have an older console connected wi-fi from another room that I use almost exclusively for streaming video off net fix. I think in total I have 3 hardwired devices with 5-6 other devices connected through wi-fi.

For me, I don't know if it was night and day but I really like the duma and the control it gives over the other options out there. I will say with 100% certainty that it has reduced the amount of noise on my line. You can do this with other routers as well but not nearly with the same amount of control or ability to track and test it as easily. I also love to trouble shoot issues and I don't personally know of a router that allows you to do it like this does. With the CC sliders, prioritization of different devices and my favorite, the geo filter, you have a ton of settings to play with, still don't understand all of them. After awhile you will just get to tweaking only a couple of them from time to time when needed.

I am still an noob myself when it comes to understanding this stuff. I will say one negative thing about the duma, you might become obsessed with the control it gives you LOL! I know I have.

So if you want some transparency on what is going on with the matchmaking in games, such as seeing what servers/locations you are connecting too, controlling what servers you connect to (to an extent), optimize your line to reduce noise, jitter or buffer bloat, this is an awesome product.

If you want just a plug and play, this might not be the best option. While you can sort of do that to some extent, you won't get the best use out of it if you do, at least I don't think so.