Ps4 PPPoE can’t obtain an IP address

Hello everyone! I usually used a PPPoE configuration on my PS4 on my ISP router to get NAT type 1. Now with my Netduma I can’t obtain an IP address with the same configuration. If I set automatic LAN settings the console can connect to the internet but with NAT 2. Do someone know how to solve this issue?

nat type 1 usually means modem > device (this device has the wan ip)

nat type 2 usually means modem>router> devices  (all devices have an internal ip)

I don't know how you would get nat type 1 on lan, can you check your ip on console i think you will find you have the wan ip. which means your not type is correct as Zennon has said.

Thanks you both for the quick replies! I'm not good as you with this stuff but what I know is that with my ISP router I can connect setting username and password on PPPoE options instead I can't do the same on Netduma, because if I set same configuration the test will fail because PS4 can't obtain IP address. When I had the nat type 1 ( even if that wasn't "truly" type 1) I could play with no issues, so I would like to play with the same configuration on my Netduma.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks you both for the quick replies! I'm not good as you with this stuff but what I know is that with my ISP router I can connect setting username and password on PPPoE options instead I can't do the same on Netduma, because if I set same configuration the test will fail because PS4 can't obtain IP address. When I had the nat type 1 ( even if that wasn't "truly" type 1) I could play with no issues, so I would like to play with the same configuration on my Netduma.

Could you let us know what modem / router you have? NAT type 2 should be perfectly fine to game on; it's no more restrictive than NAT type 1. What differences do you see on type 2?

Could you let us know what modem / router you have? NAT type 2 should be perfectly fine to game on; it's no more restrictive than NAT type 1. What differences do you see on type 2?

After some hour of gaming I can say that Nat type 2 doesn't give me any problem. The first time I had connection issues so I thought it was due to NAT 2.

Anyway my router is the Technicolor that my ISP (TIM Fiber) gave me and with that I could have Nat type 1 with PPPoE settings.

• Netduma Staff

After some hour of gaming I can say that Nat type 2 doesn't give me any problem. The first time I had connection issues so I thought it was due to NAT 2.

Anyway my router is the Technicolor that my ISP (TIM Fiber) gave me and with that I could have Nat type 1 with PPPoE settings.

Ah okay, thanks for clarifying that. NAT type 2 will never cause you issues, it's in fact the NAT type every gamer using a router should have. If you have issues, how are they presenting themselves? Are you getting bad gameplay trouble connecting to the Internet?

I figured out that netduma doesn’t save my settings and my ps4 and Xbox one are listed as unnamed device or nameless device. What could be the problem?

• Netduma Staff

I figured out that netduma doesn’t save my settings and my ps4 and Xbox one are listed as unnamed device or nameless device. What could be the problem?

Ah you'll need to tick 'enable cookies' in Miscellaneous settings. Once you've done that, change your settings to the way you like it and do a reboot from Miscellaneous settings. Your settings will now be saved.

Ah you'll need to tick 'enable cookies' in Miscellaneous settings. Once you've done that, change your settings to the way you like it and do a reboot from Miscellaneous settings. Your settings will now be saved.

thanks, that worked! Does anyone know why I can’t connect anymore setting PPPoE? It’s just a curiosity. On ISP router it works, on NETDUMA can’t obtain IP address.

• Netduma Staff

thanks, that worked! Does anyone know why I can’t connect anymore setting PPPoE? It’s just a curiosity. On ISP router it works, on NETDUMA can’t obtain IP address.

Are you trying to put PPPoE into the Netduma when you're already using PPPoE on your ISP router? If everything is working correctly, it is likely that you won't need to touch anything to do with PPPoE.

Are you trying to put PPPoE into the Netduma when you're already using PPPoE on your ISP router? If everything is working correctly, it is likely that you won't need to touch anything to do with PPPoE.

I didn’t change anything on Netduma, I just set PPPoE on PS4

you cant connect your PS4 using PPPoE while using NETDUMA, the NETDUMA does not support "PPPoE Relay" and if it did i doubt the netduma would be able to work as intended.

are you sure? I’ve seen PPPoE settings on NetDuma, what are they for?

im sure 100% and the PPPoE in netduma is for you to input your details, but you said this doesnt work, so something is wrong and that needs to be sorted.

• Administrators

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

1. ISP router > Netduma (PPPoE) > PS4 (PPPoE) - no internet connection

2. ISP router > Netduma (PPPoE) > PS4 (No PPPoE) - internet connection

and you're trying to get number 1 to work is that correct? 

If so that will never work and is not needed. The router handles the PPPoE connection not the PS4. The only reason you need to do it without the Netduma is because there is no router to handle it. Number 2 is the correct setup, you have NAT Type 2 which is an Open NAT.

If you wanna use PPPoE you should have your modem first in line then the netduma plugged into the modem and PPPoE isp login details input into the netduma,who is your isp?have you got the correct login details?

My configuration is set like you said! Login details are correct because when I used them on my isp router all worked flawless. My ISP is TIM (Italian fiber)

So you are saying you have put in your isp PPPoE login details (username and password) in your ps4 before?this meens there will be no netduma involved?

yes, when I used them there wasn’t Netduma involved. But know that I have it I would like to use it.