Years of terrible connection GONE

BENORMOUS

Being an ex Openreach engineer this is one of the biggest problems with new builds, the amount of times i would connect a new house up and there was noise on the line when using the internal cabling the builders have put in which is sub par. It was more a problem for the customer because we can replace cabling but there is a standard charge for doing anything after the Demarcation line (master socket) (£130) and it has to be agreed by your ISP before work could start, Openreach charge your ISP and depending on how good the ISP was depended if they passed on the charge to the customer, most Isp's will pass it on to the customer.

So if you are capable of running a cable yourself and connecting 3 wires it would be a lot cheaper, i used to give the customer the cable to do it themselves, most engineers are happy to provide cable if it saves them a extra job, infact i know of a few builders of new homes on my patch that get cable provided by Openreach because the builder asks for it, the cost of providing the cable is cheaper than having engineers replacing bad cable later down the line..

If you ever have a problem on your line this is why your ISP will ask you to take the lower face plate off your master socket and plug your equipment into the test port (see image below). If the problem is gone then you are told there will be a charge for a callout and replacement of cables or whatever it is the engineer finds is at fault, if the problem still persists when plugged into the test port then it's a network problem and down to Openreach to fix with no charge..

Note: This is a Master Socket

image.jpg

Taking the 2 screws out and pulling the plate away from the rest shows the test port

bt2.jpg

this is what is meant by the Demarcation line, the point where the Openreach network ends and your home network starts.

Note 2: If you do not have a master socket like above and you have a fault then the Openreach engineer will fit one and fix any fault no charge because no Demarcation line was present.