Does anyone know what this means? (Modem log)

Joe

I just looked at my logs on my TC-7610 modem and saw that I've gotten "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out" 4 times in the last week. I've also gotten "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" 3 times. Is this something I should be worried about and contact my ISP about? 

I just looked at my logs on my TC-7610 modem and saw that I've gotten "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out" 4 times in the last week. I've also gotten "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out" 3 times. Is this something I should be worried about and contact my ISP about? 

Can be a bunch of different reasons why it's doing it. Simply put, something is wrong with the signal and the modem is timing out and could be resetting itself to fix the problem.

The technical side of it:

The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem’s power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process.

Post a screenshot of your signal levels.

Can be a bunch of different reasons why it's doing it. Simply put, something is wrong with the signal and the modem is timing out and could be resetting itself to fix the problem.

The technical side of it:

The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also raise the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem’s power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process.

Post a screenshot of your signal levels.

1498440883-U6326.png

Yeah, upstream is way too high

I'm going to call Comcast about this tomorrow. Hopefully they can sort it out and find out what the problem is.

I'm going to call Comcast about this tomorrow. Hopefully they can sort it out and find out what the problem is.

GOOD LUCK LOLOLOL

Honestly you're better off trying twitter support

GOOD LUCK LOLOLOL

Honestly you're better off trying twitter support

The only thing I ever hear from them is "Did you try rebooting the modem?"  

The only thing I ever hear from them is "Did you try rebooting the modem?"  

I mean they can't do anything really except send a tech out which is what you need anyway. He'll check the signal levels and try to lower the upstream. If they say it's fine, trust me it's not lol