Buffer Bloat and throttling

Direink144

Some feedback please. I have 25/10 internet service. Congestion control at 70/70 gets me an A+ bufferbloat. But a congestion control of 12/12 also gets me an A+ , with very low speeds. Which one is best for playing COD IW?

Gaming packet's need very little width, so a small width or a large width they would get there and back in the same amount of milliseconds.

Having a width smaller than the packet size would lead to packet loss, any bandwidth above the packet size is idle if the network is only populated by the console.

If the network is utilised by other devices while you game then the more bandwidth the better so my suggestion is 70%

Congestion control is not a hit detection slider. I don't know who started saying it was, but people REALLY get the wrong idea about what it does.

1% to 99% it doesn't really matter as long as there is some % left for overhead so your ping doesn't spike to 9999 if someone uploads/downloads. Obviously the lower you go, the more overhead there is so the less your ping will move when someone uses your network.

• Netduma Staff

Some feedback please. I have 25/10 internet service. Congestion control at 70/70 gets me an A+ bufferbloat. But a congestion control of 12/12 also gets me an A+ , with very low speeds. Which one is best for playing COD IW?

I'd reiterate the above advice - we usually recommend 70/70 for the best of both; there's really no reason to game on 12/12 as opposed to 70/70 if they both get you the same rating.

As said above start with 70/70 and tweak from there,everybody's home network is different and no two households will get the same results.As everyone has different usage going on it their homes, different ISP's (fiber, cable,ADSL,DSL) I sure wouldn't want to be gaming by myself at 12/12 and then the family comes home and starts watching netflix's,YT and downloading music, your gaming is going to go real bad real fast.

Again 70/70 and tweak from there but remember if you have others in the house using the internet,you may want to tweak less and just roll with the 70/70

I may be out of line here but I am a believer of lag compensation punishing you if your speeds are too fast, so if you get an A+ at lower speeds, I say use the lower speeds, that is if you don't mind the the wifey or little johnny crying about NetFlix not working lol! Just a little advice from a COD no lifing gamer!

I may be out of line here but I am a believer of lag compensation punishing you if your speeds are too fast, so if you get an A+ at lower speeds, I say use the lower speeds, that is if you don't mind the the wifey or little johnny crying about NetFlix not working lol! Just a little advice from a COD no lifing gamer!

Is that you carnal? What up vato loco?

I may be out of line here but I am a believer of lag compensation punishing you if your speeds are too fast, so if you get an A+ at lower speeds, I say use the lower speeds, that is if you don't mind the the wifey or little johnny crying about NetFlix not working lol! Just a little advice from a COD no lifing gamer!

Lag compensation (or its correct/less misleading name anti-lag aka rewind time compensation) has nothing to do with bandwidth. It's an algorithm that "rewinds time", as the name suggests, in order to see who fired first in real time, according to either the host or server. It means that you don't have to lead your shots by an indeterminate amount in order to hit a higher latency player. If you play a game/mod without lag comp you can see an enemy's player model but their hitbox isn't synced with it, so you can't damage the enemy by shooting where you see them.

The myth that it "compensates high pings" or "brings good connections down" is just that: a myth. People see the name, add 2 and 2 together and end up with 22. Bandwidth is mostly irrelevant in a game that requires mere kilobits, as proven by running the Netduma's bandwidth monitor while playing.

The myth that it "compensates high pings" or "brings good connections down" is just that: a myth. People see the name, add 2 and 2 together and end up with 22. Bandwidth is mostly irrelevant in a game that requires mere kilobits, as proven by running the Netduma's bandwidth monitor while playing.

i totally agree with IIIRL, I used to be on 80/20 fibre with a base ping of 8ms, now I'm on 5/0.5 DSL with a base ping of 50ms (I live on an island on the west coast of Scotland) and I've seen absolutely no difference in gameplay at all on IW, I still suffer the same issues now as I did on the 80/20 fibre. I always just change lobby when the game starts acting up.

i totally agree with IIIRL, I used to be on 80/20 fibre with a base ping of 8ms, now I'm on 5/0.5 DSL with a base ping of 50ms (I live on an island on the west coast of Scotland) and I've seen absolutely no difference in gameplay at all on IW, I still suffer the same issues now as I did on the 80/20 fibre. I always just change lobby when the game starts acting up.

Unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation still being spread. I remember a few years ago when Drift0r made a video saying he was dying to lag comp over and over again in MW3, and when he brought up the scoreboard he'd be two or three barring. That's lag! Then he said when he congested his line by live streaming he'd get four bar games. Lol? In BO2 he then said you can entirely remove lag comp by avoiding the router and plugging directly into your modem. How that bypasses game code I'll never know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I went from 100Mb Virgin Media cable to 50Mb BT Infinity and while IW is a mess, my line performs better. Not because I have less irrelevant bandwidth, but because my latency and jitter are now miniscule and I'm not randomly dropping packets. I wish people would just think to find out for themselves rather than taking random rumours as gospel because some clickbaiting YouTuber or forum troll said something once :)

• 1 month later...