• Netduma Staff

I frequently find that the profile has changed to general gaming when it has been set to non-gaming.  What is the remedy?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

ColonicBoom is correct, it's just showing the first item in the menu; it will be set to whichever profile you have selected.

Let us know if you have any more questions :)

It actually changes to non-gaming.  Verified by non-gaming highlighted in red when viewed in the drop down menu.  It was discovered by investigating slow internet  speed verified by a speed test.  When changed to non-gaming the speed went to normal.  Also........ when I select from the Profile menu I am always using COD and have  made sure that I set it back to non-gaming since first experiencing the problem.

• Netduma Staff

It actually changes to non-gaming.  Verified by non-gaming highlighted in red when viewed in the drop down menu.  It was discovered by investigating slow internet  speed verified by a speed test.  When changed to non-gaming the speed went to normal.  Also........ when I select from the Profile menu I am always using COD and have  made sure that I set it back to non-gaming since first experiencing the problem.

Make sure that whenever you reboot the router you do so from Settings -> Misc, and also enable Cookies in Settings -> Misc. What speeds do you pay for? Try these settings:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood (Up and Down)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc (Unless you know that you are on IPv6)
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

That should allow you to play using a gaming set up and still receive your speeds. If you prefer, you could sacrifice a small amount of bandwidth for a better gaming experience by setting Anti-flood to 70/70. (I've also moved this thread to General Support).

Make sure that whenever you reboot the router you do so from Settings -> Misc, and also enable Cookies in Settings -> Misc. What speeds do you pay for? Try these settings:

- If less than 50mbps, Pre-emptive Algorithm. If more, Reactive Algorithm
- 100% anti-flood (Up and Down)
- Share excess enabled
- Reset device prioritisation & apply
- Disable IPv6 in WAN, LAN & misc (Unless you know that you are on IPv6)
- Disable deep packet in misc
- Enable turbo mode if over 120mbps
- Enable super turbo mode if over 300mbps
- Ensure the ethernet cables you're using connecting the R1 to hub & R1 to PC are Cat5e+/can handle your speeds.
- Do a wired speed test from a PC

That should allow you to play using a gaming set up and still receive your speeds. If you prefer, you could sacrifice a small amount of bandwidth for a better gaming experience by setting Anti-flood to 70/70. (I've also moved this thread to General Support).

With the Profile in general gaming it cuts my speed by half.......... in non-gaming my speed is usually 107 to 117 mps with a burst speed of 175  to around 200mps with turbo mode on.

Edited by DonB_tn

• Netduma Staff

With the Profile in general gaming it cuts my speed by half.......... in non-gaming my speed is usually 107 to 117 mps with a burst speed of 175  to around 200mps with turbo mode on.

What speeds do you get with the exact settings that I recommended? All the profiles do is change your settings across the router - with the settings I sent you, you should be optimised for the speeds you should get.

Also bear in mind that your speeds have very little effect on your gaming - if you want lag free gaming more than anything then I wouldn't worry about your bandwidth too much, since games use a tiny amount of bandwidth anyway.

What speeds do you get with the exact settings that I recommended? All the profiles do is change your settings across the router - with the settings I sent you, you should be optimised for the speeds you should get.

Also bear in mind that your speeds have very little effect on your gaming - if you want lag free gaming more than anything then I wouldn't worry about your bandwidth too much, since games use a tiny amount of bandwidth anyway.

Speed without the turbo  boost starts around 75 mbps and then peaks to around 90  mbps............... with the turbo setting on it begins with a burst up to around 130 mbps and settles to around 109-112 mbps.

General gaming lowers you congestion control, non gaming doesn't hence the speed loss

That is understood.............. however, frequently I find the general gaming profile engaged when it should be set on non_gaming.  That was my initial question......... why does it change on its own?

• Administrators

That is understood.............. however, frequently I find the general gaming profile engaged when it should be set on non_gaming.  That was my initial question......... why does it change on its own?

As was answered near the top, it doesn't change to that profile. The profile page does NOT show the currently loaded profile. The drop down will always show the first in the list when you go back to the page - it doesn't mean it's loaded that profile. Load the profile you want and double check that settings have changed, then go back, general gaming will show. Go check your settings again and they'll be the same as the profile you originally loaded.

As was answered near the top, it doesn't change to that profile. The profile page does NOT show the currently loaded profile. The drop down will always show the first in the list when you go back to the page - it doesn't mean it's loaded that profile. Load the profile you want and double check that settings have changed, then go back, general gaming will show. Go check your settings again and they'll be the same as the profile you originally loaded.

Ok............. I just went to profile and in the drop down window it showed general gaming........ clicked on the the drop down and highlighted in red was general gaming....... double clicked non-gaming and went of the bottom of the page and clicked loaded profile........... double checked the drop down to verify non gaming highlighted in red.............. navigated to another heading congestion control ........... then returned to profiles and general gaming shows in the drop down.........  clicked on  the drop down arrow and highlighted in red is general gaming...................... but you are saying that it is actually still non- gaming....... and I am saying that it may be or it may not be because the setting will change to  general gaming  functionally as it has over the past year that I have had to change it to non-gaming so my internet speed would be maximized and at the same time hoping that an upgrade was forthcoming that would fix the problem.

• Netduma Staff

Ok............. I just went to profile and in the drop down window it showed general gaming........ clicked on the the drop down and highlighted in red was general gaming....... double clicked non-gaming and went of the bottom of the page and clicked loaded profile........... double checked the drop down to verify non gaming highlighted in red.............. navigated to another heading congestion control ........... then returned to profiles and general gaming shows in the drop down.........  clicked on  the drop down arrow and highlighted in red is general gaming...................... but you are saying that it is actually still non- gaming....... and I am saying that it may be or it may not be because the setting will change to  general gaming  functionally as it has over the past year that I have had to change it to non-gaming so my internet speed would be maximized and at the same time hoping that an upgrade was forthcoming that would fix the problem.

Just to clarify this whole issue; if you select General Gaming and go to Congestion Control, your anti-flood will be set to 70/70. If you go back and change to Non-gaming, and then return to Congestion Control, is your anti-flood now set to 100/100? Returning to Profiles, you'll see General Gaming on on the drop-down list. Should your anti-flood still be set to 100/100, there is no issue and the Non-gaming profile has loaded correctly.

If however your settings are always reverting back to General Gaming even after you've selected a profile (and clicked "Load Profile"), make sure you're on the default theme and using Firefox / Google Chrome, preferably on a PC or Laptop. Also please let us know what version you are on and make sure Cookies are enabled.