Netduma won't play nice with my Tivo

I hooked up my Duma yesterday and everything seems to work well with it except my Tivo DVR. I have it wired on the ethernet and it fails to connect to the net. It gives me this message-

Please make sure your firewall is not set to block UDP ports 37 or 123 or TCP ports 37, 80, 443, 5005, 5222, 5223, 7287,

The Duma doesn't show any IP address under the Device Manager although it does recognize it as a Tivo. I really have no idea how to properly utilize this information.

Sorry, I'm new to the Netduma and know very little about IT. Thanks for any help, or guidance!

Sorry, the title of the thread should be "Netduma won't play nice with my Tivo." Damn auto correct got me again! :angry:  I can't change it, so please any moderator change it if you can. Thanks! I will try to be more careful.

I hooked up my Duma yesterday and everything seems to work well with it except my Tivo DVR. I have it wired on the ethernet and it fails to connect to the net. It gives me this message-

The Duma doesn't show any IP address under the Device Manager although it does recognize it as a Tivo. I really have no idea how to properly utilize this information.

Sorry, I'm new to the Netduma and know very little about IT. Thanks for any help, or guidance!

If it's not showing an IP then it sounds like it's not connecting to the Netduma... Is it setup with a static IP address? Maybe you need to do a network setup on the Tivo since it's plugged into a new router and it still has the old IP address.

That should at least get an IP address showing up.

If it's not showing an IP then it sounds like it's not connecting to the Netduma... Is it setup with a static IP address? Maybe you need to do a network setup on the Tivo since it's plugged into a new router and it still has the old IP address.

That should at least get an IP address showing up.

I tried going through the set up on the Tivo and I tried unplugging everything and replugging it. I first tried the automatic set up and it failed. I then I tried the manual set up, but realized I was in over my head and likely to end up making things worse. To make a static IP it asked things I didn't know the answer to, like-

• the IP address
  • the subnet mask
  • the gateway router address
  • the DNS address

It's one of those things where I'm sure if I ask the Tivo community, they will tell me the problem is the router. It did work fine with my old Apple Time Capsule. It seems to be the only device I have that has an issue with the Netduma. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My wife is getting annoyed with me.  :blink:  :D

I tried going through the set up on the Tivo and I tried unplugging everything and replugging it. I first tried the automatic set up and it failed. I then I tried the manual set up, but realized I was in over my head and likely to end up making things worse. To make a static IP it asked things I didn't know the answer to, like-

• the IP address
  • the subnet mask
  • the gateway router address
  • the DNS address

It's one of those things where I'm sure if I ask the Tivo community, they will tell me the problem is the router. It did work fine with my old Apple Time Capsule. It seems to be the only device I have that has an issue with the Netduma. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My wife is getting annoyed with me.  :blink:  :D

Try turning turbo mode off in misc settings on the Netduma (if you have it enabled)

For the manual setup it should be:

• the IP address - 192.168.88.125
  • the subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
  • the gateway router address - 192.168.88.1
  • the DNS address - 192.168.88.1

Try a different ethernet port on the Duma.

Try a different ethernet cable. 

Restart Tivo under Menu>Settings>Help

What does the Tivo Say under Network Settings>Change Network Settings?

Try turning turbo mode off in misc settings on the Netduma (if you have it enabled)

For the manual setup it should be:

• the IP address - 192.168.88.125
  • the subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
  • the gateway router address - 192.168.88.1
  • the DNS address - 192.168.88.1

Thanks for the help. I turned off turbo mode and rebooted. I guess the default is for it to be on. I then tried automatic set up again and it failed. Then I tried the manual set up with the info above and it failed. It does ask if I want to add a second DNS address and I said no, because I don't know what I'd put there. It also added to the list  above that I should check to make sure ports 7288, 8000, or 8080-8089 were not blocked.

Any ideas? I may just try to hook it up wirelessly, but I would rather to have it ethernet.

Try a different ethernet port on the Duma.

Try a different ethernet cable. 

Restart Tivo under Menu>Settings>Help

What does the Tivo Say under Network Settings>Change Network Settings?

Thanks for the help! I used a different brand new cable (Cat 5e) and switched to the port where my Apple TV had been. No luck. Still won't connect. I tried the restart under Menu>Settings>Help and it failed to connect. Under Network Settings>Change Network Settings it says-

Currently using Ethernet to connect to the internet.

(options below)

Modify Ethernet settings

Connect using MoCA

Connect using wireless

Use this DVR to create a MoCA network

I do have a MoCA network that this Tivo created. I have a Tivo Roamio Mini in another room. I don't think that matters though because that device gets it's data from the main one that can't connect. I could be wrong though I suppose.

Thanks for the help! I used a different brand new cable (Cat 5e) and switched to the port where my Apple TV had been. No luck. Still won't connect. I tried the restart under Menu>Settings>Help and it failed to connect. Under Network Settings>Change Network Settings it says-

I do have a MoCA network that this Tivo created. I have a Tivo Roamio Mini in another room. I don't think that matters though because that device gets it's data from the main one that can't connect. I could be wrong though I suppose.

I'm wondering if you need to delete that MoCA network it created since you're connected by ethernet. 

I don't have a Tivo Roamio Mini, so I can't help there. I thought those used wireless connection to your router. 

Is the Netduma connected to the internet? 

And all devices connected to the Duma are getting internet?

Not sure why your Tivo isn't connecting if that's the case. 

I don't have a Tivo Roamio Mini, so I can't help there. I thought those used wireless connection to your router. 

The MoCa network works by repurposing old coaxial cable that many people already have running in their walls. Old unused cable that used to connect to either cable or satellite are used for data. The mini doesn't actually have a hard drive and is simply a virtual replica of your regular Tivo and takes it's data from there. It actually works pretty slick and gets around having to pay for a whole other cable box for a different room. To my knowledge, there is no wifi involved.

Is the Netduma connected to the internet? 

And all devices connected to the Duma are getting internet?

Yes, the NetDuma is connected to the internet and I'm typing through it now. I have 17 other internet connected devices in the household and every single one of them has connected no problem except the Tivo. It should be noted that I only have my Xbox One/XBox 360 (they share an ethernet line and never run at the same time), my Apple TV, my Tivo and my Apple Time Capsule connected to my NetDuma via ethernet. The Time Capsule is in bridge mode and serves as my wifi base station for all other devices as well as my automatic back up drive.

Not sure why your Tivo isn't connecting if that's the case. 

Me neither. It sucks.

OK, this is getting pretty annoying. I tried to connect my Tivo using wireless and got the exact same messages. No connection. I really, really appreciate the folks that have responded in this thread and tried to help, but is there any way to actually get factory support for the hardware I bought? My feeling is, the help I've gotten is from community volunteers and that's super cool, but I'd like to move this along a bit and I feel like the people that charge $200 for a router have some responsibility to support their product in a timely manor. 

Can I do the 1 on 1 thing? I see that it says I need to be invited to do that.

You can always just bypass the Netduma and connect the Tivo directly to the modem. 

Restart the modem and then reboot the Tivo. Go through the Network setup in the Tivo and see what happens. 

If that still doesn't work, there might be a problem with the Tivo. 

• Netduma Staff

Try changing to the Pre-emptive algorithm and in Misc settings, turn on Multicast Snooping. Please let us know if that resolves the issue.

Try changing to the Pre-emptive algorithm and in Misc settings, turn on Multicast Snooping. Please let us know if that resolves the issue.

Tried it and it failed. I guess I've had Multicast Snooping on the whole time. I guess it's a default setting. All attempts prior to this one were done on reactive. My Tivo's self diagnostic is telling me that TCP ports 37, 80, 7288, 7287, 8080, 8081 and 5223 are blocked. Is there a way to just open these ports?

• Netduma Staff

Tried it and it failed. I guess I've had Multicast Snooping on the whole time. I guess it's a default setting. All attempts prior to this one were done on reactive. My Tivo's self diagnostic is telling me that TCP ports 37, 80, 7288, 7287, 8080, 8081 and 5223 are blocked. Is there a way to just open these ports?

Ah okay. Opening those ports could potentially work then; if you go into Settings -> Port Forwarding you can do it there. So to open one port - 37, for example - type in a name for the rule (e.g Tivo Port), type 37 into both the start port and the end port, select TCP and type in the end of the TIVO IP address where it asks for it. Then click "Add Rule", and don't forget to click "Apply" at the bottom when you've added the rules.

Usually UPnP should detect the device and open the necessary ports automatically. If UPnP is enabled already, disable it before you do the port forwarding (to avoid possible conflicts). You may then need to port forward a couple for your console and whichever game you play - but once you know how to use port forwarding it's relatively easy to do.

Please let us know if that solves your issue.

Ah okay. Opening those ports could potentially work then; if you go into Settings -> Port Forwarding you can do it there. So to open one port - 37, for example - type in a name for the rule (e.g Tivo Port), type 37 into both the start port and the end port, select TCP and type in the end of the TIVO IP address where it asks for it. Then click "Add Rule", and don't forget to click "Apply" at the bottom when you've added the rules.

Usually UPnP should detect the device and open the necessary ports automatically. If UPnP is enabled already, disable it before you do the port forwarding (to avoid possible conflicts). You may then need to port forward a couple for your console and whichever game you play - but once you know how to use port forwarding it's relatively easy to do.

Please let us know if that solves your issue.

Alright, now I'm having trouble with the UPnP. I did screw up and happily entered all my port forward rules, applied them and then tried to connect. No connection still, so I re-read your post and then remembered the UPnP setting. :rolleyes: 

I went to the UPnP page and indeed it was checked as enabled. I tried to disable it, but the page would just hang and never complete. So I tried disabling all my port forward rules and tried to change the UPnP again, but again a hanging page. Then I deleted all my port rules, tried again and the again the page hangs.

Should I try rebooting the router?

Alright, now I'm having trouble with the UPnP. I did screw up and happily entered all my port forward rules, applied them and then tried to connect. No connection still, so I re-read your post and then remembered the UPnP setting. :rolleyes:

I went to the UPnP page and indeed it was checked as enabled. I tried to disable it, but the page would just hang and never complete. So I tried disabling all my port forward rules and tried to change the UPnP again, but again a hanging page. Then I deleted all my port rules, tried again and the again the page hangs.

Should I try rebooting the router?

I would Factory Reset from the Misc page at this point and start over. 

Try using UPnP after the reset with no Port Forwarding. 

I would Factory Reset from the Misc page at this point and start over. 

Try using UPnP after the reset with no Port Forwarding. 

UPnP has been on the whole time I believe. I'm having trouble turning it off.

UPnP has been on the whole time I believe. I'm having trouble turning it off.

Happens to me occasionally. 

Just reload the webpage. 

But I would still Factory Reset the Duma and start over. 

OK, so to follow up on this subject, I did a factory reset on the Netduma and the Tivo connected! I was a little suspicious when I received my Netduma because I bought it on Amazon and when I opened the box, it was not sealed and nothing in the Netduma box was sealed in any kind of plastic bag, or any kind of wrapper. This kind of thing always makes me suspicious and in this case I think it is warranted. I think I received somebody else's returned R1. Maybe the R1 typically comes with no kind of seals, or wrappers, I don't know.

I do know that the unit remains kind of buggy. Sometimes the Network Monitor page does nothing and needs reloading. The Network Manager page rarely shows any kind of useful, or accurate connection diagram. My stereo receiver, that uses the net to access Spotify and Pandora, is kind of hit and miss for connecting, but it seems to be mostly hit, so I'm not going to stress about that now at all. I'm just happy that the net works, my game consoles connect, the Tivo works so the wife is happy and I can now get on to assessing how much this bit of tech will help me win gunfights.

Thanks so much for the volunteers that came to help me out! I do appreciate the effort it takes.

Glad to hear that some of your problems are sorted.

Maybe Netduma Fraser can dig a little deeper (log-in and look under the hood) into some of your issues with a 1 on 1.

I would personally reload the current firmware but you should wait to see if Fraser can sort you out.

OK, so to follow up on this subject, I did a factory reset on the Netduma and the Tivo connected! I was a little suspicious when I received my Netduma because I bought it on Amazon and when I opened the box, it was not sealed and nothing in the Netduma box was sealed in any kind of plastic bag, or any kind of wrapper. This kind of thing always makes me suspicious and in this case I think it is warranted. I think I received somebody else's returned R1. Maybe the R1 typically comes with no kind of seals, or wrappers, I don't know.

I do know that the unit remains kind of buggy. Sometimes the Network Monitor page does nothing and needs reloading. The Network Manager page rarely shows any kind of useful, or accurate connection diagram. My stereo receiver, that uses the net to access Spotify and Pandora, is kind of hit and miss for connecting, but it seems to be mostly hit, so I'm not going to stress about that now at all. I'm just happy that the net works, my game consoles connect, the Tivo works so the wife is happy and I can now get on to assessing how much this bit of tech will help me win gunfights.

Thanks so much for the volunteers that came to help me out! I do appreciate the effort it takes.

I don't believe the router comes in any kind of bag or plastic. Just a router in a box lol this is because Netduma is using RouterBoard hardware with their own software. So they're probably the ones removing the plastic, not us.

• Administrators

Great to hear you got it working! As MoD said it's not our hardware, it actually comes in without any plastic wrapping which is why it has none. 

Are you using Google Chrome as Network Monitor should be fine. What do you mean regarding device manager? 

Any other questions/issues let us know.